[ES] 2018 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Home Forums LUG discussions [ES] 2018 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Tim

Has the Cranberry Library told us the them for 2018 yet?

The theme for this summer’s reading program is LIBRARIES ROCK. So this could be anything from showing how “cool” libraries are to library buildings shaped as musical instruments (which could be really awesome – imagine a guitar, bass drum, and keyboard shaped buildings). Whatever we decide to do, it would be nice to have the display idea finalized by April 1 with a target installation date of Saturday, June 2.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Couple of thoughts that could prove to be interesting builds:
    * Piano House – China.
    * I.M. Pei design for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Those are very interesting.

Another idea would be to build different types of Libraries from different historical eras (Medieval, Classical, Modern, Futuristic, Cave w/painting) as part of larger vignettes showing people using the libraries.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Nice ideas! Fun challenges if we try to replicate those buildings…

As a reminder, this is an Event Support event, so we need a bunch of members to chip in and help make it awesome!

Tom Frost
    Participant

I’ll definitely help with this again this year

Dan
    Participant

Subbed

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I should be able to contribute in some way

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’d like to help out with this one somehow. If we do a vignette-style compilation like you guys did for Dig Into Reading, I could definitely come up with a library based on the one I did for my castle in the Crannberry Library 2014 display, and I can pretty much make it just about any size needed. If we don’t go that route, then I’m not sure, I’d have to see what you guys come up with. At the very least, I’m always good for pine trees.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Bumping. Any ideas on how to use the Q2 build challenge to spur building for this display?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Another Friday fish fry brainstorming session with my closest creative collaborators resulted in this suggestion for the Cranberry Library display: make a rock concert with the library as the stage.

My thought about this is to make a tan, classic architecture, Carnegie library type building, with big columns and windows that spell out the word LIBRARIES. Then use different colors of minifigs in the crowd to spell out the word ROCK!, perhaps one character per baseplate.

On top of the library would be a backdrop, the lighting, the band members, etc. maybe with a Shakespeare CMF as the lead vocalist. Just throw in a few pine trees and a flying pig and we’re done!

Tom Frost
    Participant

This is a great idea @greg! I had a similar thought with a concert on top of a library, but I love the idea of integrating the words! I also thought about large brick built musical instruments around the concert. Also large brick built music notes suspended above the scene would help fill the vertical space since the case is very tall.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Thanks Tom. I am happy to start working on the library and the crowd today unless anyone else is interested in tackling one of these components.

Considering Bob’s suggestion of the piano building, life-size LEGO guitars would be a great addition. Maybe there could be a row of life-size pianos keys across the front edge of the display.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/72643-moc-life-size-gibson-flying-v/

Attachments:
    Tim

The Carnegie Library would be quite impressive. We could also do the Cranberry Library building. Or we could do several Library buildings with the concert going on in the middle (kind of like a college Quad).

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have the word LIBRARIES laid out in 4×5 block letters using black bricks and trans-clear bricks. I’m ditching my original idea of building in tan. I am going to create a white building, partly because I have a couple surplus white 2×2 concave slopes to use. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The Carnegie Library would be quite impressive

True, but I saw this library as only
    1) a platform for the rock concert and
    2) a method to convey the theme

So in lieu of impressive, I went for efficient. Since I generally don’t build white buildings, I had a lot of pent up white bricks.

The area of the roof is 72×32 studs, that’s two 32×32 baseplates and another strip that is 8 by 32. The unconventional dimensions can be attributed to the word having 9 letters.

Attachments:
    Tom Frost
    Participant

That looks great @greg!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

ROCK

Attachments:
    Sean Collins
    Participant

PAPER

Pete
    Participant

SCISSORS

Greg Schubert
    Participant

LIZARD

Sean Collins
    Participant

SPOCK

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Well at least SOMETHING was posted on the forum this weekend.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

wow greg this looks great! I like tom’s idea of using music notes to fill the vertical space and I’d like to sign up to make some music notes for this! How big is the display area? I laid out a design last night and they’re about 5-6 studs high. Of course, having different sized ones could be a fun mix too.

I figure I will be coming to Pittsburgh at least 1 more time to drop off the art of the brick logo so I’m gonna try to contribute to multiple projects and drop everything off at once 🙂

Bob Grier
    Participant

Considering Bob’s suggestion of the piano building, life-size LEGO guitars would be a great addition. Maybe there could be a row of life-size pianos keys across the front edge of the display.

Greg, I liked your “piano keys” idea, so I started this today. What do you think, will (2) 16×32 base plates side by side be wide enough to cover the “entry to the Quad”??

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

@hannah133, I’m glad you like this start. Maybe you have not seen the Cranberry children’s library display case, we probably did the setups when you were already finished for the semester. Its a big display case, probably 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep and tall enough to stand in.

It will be great to have all your contributions in our LUG displays 🙂 The Philly Brickfest guys are taking micro scale builds if you are inspired to build anything on that scale.

@rcgrier3406
    , the keyboard looks good, I like the detail of having the slope at the front of each black key, a feature that most people would overlook. Do you have enough tiles to do it this way? Even if you used bricks on their side and did not have raised black keys, it would still be recognizable. Minifigs could jump on the keys like in BIG. 😀

I’m just remembering now, at one point Hannah was thinking about building a LEGO keyboard in which the keys actually move.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar