[ES] 2018 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Home Forums LUG discussions [ES] 2018 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Hi Everyone,

I’m a new guy here looking to get involved with the group and thought I might be able to contribute to the display. Here is a picture of a rocker hand I made last night. It is 19 studs high and built with 2x bricks.

I was going to play around with adding Libraries Rock to it somehow but thought I’d post this to see if it fit the group display before going to far with it.

Dan

That’s great! Tim, you keeping track of floor space? do we need to engineer some shelf/level system?

Dan Paoly
    Participant

I put this together in Stud.io, if it fits the display I am happy to build and contribute to the display. If the display is full or does not fit no problem either. The lettering is done with 1x plates and studs in the rendering, the built version would use 2x plates and studs.

Dan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Tim, you keeping track of floor space? do we need to engineer some shelf/level system?

Not yet. As you recall, the display case is a very odd shape. Overall, we have about 15 32×32 baseplates in three rows (5 in the front, 6 in the middle, and 4 in the back) plus an additional row of 5 16×32 baseplates in the front. We can also wedge in 2 more 16×32 baseplates on one end and a 16×32 on the other. That still leaves additional gaps of floor space to use. We can also hang lots of stuff (like the musical notes).

Things like Dan’s sign can fit in the “gaps” on the floor. I’ll get a Bluebrick put together. @greg, what are the floor dimensions of your Library so far?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Its about 3 baseplates (32×96) for the library and 3 baseplates for the people that spell out the word ROCK. Unfortunately, if they are planning to use the same font, I don’t think there will be enough room for Sean’s PAPER or Pete’s SCISSORS.

Attachments:
    Hannah Dow
    Participant

I was bored last night and made a book that could be used to fill in spaces for this event. For any Doctor Who fans, it is/will be River Song’s diary. I have to do a BL order for more blue tiles but it will definitely be done by this event if you want to use it. My end game is to make it be a pop-up book like that one lego ideas project. When you open it, it’ll be a scene from doctor who, thinking the landscape of Trenzalore. But for now, it’s a book shell that’s 21 studs high by 16 across by 6-7 wide.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Hannah Dow.
    Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was bored last night and made a book

I like it – a book for the library display. 🙂 I am interested to see it from more angles to get an idea of what you made. Any thoughts of incorporating the “rock” aspect of the theme?

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Any thoughts of incorporating the “rock” aspect of the theme?

I made it so that covers can be changed out pretty easily (you can kind of see the studs sticking out on the cover). so, if anyone has an idea for a book that would fit the theme I can make the cover 🙂 For now, it’s just an empty shell that opens and closes. I’ll take some better pics tonight.

Dan Paoly
    Participant

Here is the finished product, my daughter added the Friends people.

I’m going to try to clean up some of the lines over the next couple weeks. I’d like to get rid of the 1×2 bricks.

I’m happy to deliver on the green base plate or a grey or none at all.

Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to make your Q2 meeting to introduce myself in person.

Dan

Attachments:
    Tim

I’m happy to deliver on the green base plate or a grey or none at all.

Will it stand on its own without the baseplate? It would work best off the baseplate (once you see the case and its oddball dimensions, you will understand) so it can fit in best that way. Thanks! I really like it.

Dan Paoly
    Participant

@timf -Glad you like the build. It will stand on its own without the baseplates, of course it is more stable with the baseplate. I added a 2×8 slope to each end to make it more stable.

Two questions for you, is the case open glass on all sides such that Libraries ROCK should be readable on both sides and when is the setup?

Dan

Tim

Two questions for you, is the case open glass on all sides such that Libraries ROCK should be readable on both sides and when is the setup?

For the most part, yes, the display case has glass on four sides. Set up will be either Saturday, June 2 or Saturday, June 9. I will confirm that will the Library and let everyone know.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I am also planning on contributing in some capacity, maybe a big guitar

Hey, look! I’m contributing!! I built 2 big guitars at the LUG meeting last week. I’m thinking they will just lean in the corners. Depending on when install day is, I may have to just drop these off with someone.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

These guitars totally rock!!! I heard you built them last weekend at the Q2 meeting … is that right? What was the creative process that got you to this point?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I heard you built them last weekend at the Q2 meeting … is that right?

I built 2 big guitars at the LUG meeting last week.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I wasn’t asking you, Mayor McCheese.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I wasn’t asking you, Mayor McCheese.

Ooh, did anyone else have this plate when you were a kid? Aside from the annoying change in tense, it was pretty humorous…

Tom Frost
    Participant

These guitars totally rock!!! I heard you built them last weekend at the Q2 meeting … is that right? What was the creative process that got you to this point?

Yeah, that’s right. I built the body of the red one at home the night before Q2, using a video game guitar controller to model for shape and size. (it’s about 3/4 scale compared to a real guitar.) I brought the red one to Josh’s and used lug brick to build the blue body, then added the necks and details.

Tim

Depending on when install day is, I may have to just drop these off with someone.

You can drop them off with me. Install will be Saturday, June 2.

@greg
    , what is the footprint of your library building? I need to start putting together a layout plan. Do you have a second library building in the works? I am going to dothe Cranberry Library as a third library.

I was thinking to put three library buildings in a “U” with the crowd in the middle of the “U”. Bob’s keyboard can go in the very front. The guitars on the side. Musical notes hanging from above. Any other tidbits (like Dan’s rock hand) and fill in the rest with cars, crowd scenes, and trees.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have only one library, and I cannot think of any other MOC’s that I have that might resemble a library. A modular building or two, like the bank, could fill out the third side of the U. Also, @bengood921 might be working on a library.

Including the mosaic of people spelling out the word ROCK, my contribution will occupy an area about 3 baseplates wide and two baseplates deep. For what its worth, the library does not currently comply with MILS, it does not even have baseplates itself, but that could be changed if you think the library display would be better with more parts underneath.

Tim

the library does not currently comply with MILS, it does not even have baseplates itself, but that could be changed if you think the library display would be better with more parts underneath.

MILS not required, your library will be fine as is. Ben is NOT working on a Library. He will contribute greenery (he and I discussed that yesterday during the ICF display set up). We can go with a “L” instead of a “U” with the third side being parking and concessions – I bought the Pizza Van set, is anyone willing to build a food truck or two?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

build a food truck or two?

I have a funnel cake truck and the ice cream truck from the LEGO movie.

Bob Grier
    Participant

We can go with a “L” instead of a “U” with the third side being parking and concessions – I bought the Pizza Van set, is anyone willing to build a food truck or two?

I’ll take a shot at building a Gus and Yia Yia Ice Ball stand!

For the third side, what about @joshhall’s Cathedral of Learning? Don’t know if he still has it together, or if the scale is right, but style-wise it would fit with the quad setting. It would also help chew up some of the vertical space in the display case.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@joshhall‘s Cathedral of Learning?

It would fit the theme, but if he built it to scale, it might not fit in the display case! 😀

“Standing at 535 feet (163 m),[9] the 42-story Late Gothic Revival Cathedral is the tallest educational building in the Western hemisphere”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Learning

“The lawn on which the Cathedral of Learning and Heinz Chapel sit covers 14 acres.”

http://www.pitt.edu/~tokerism/0040/dimensions.html

Josh
    Keymaster

For the third side, what about Cathedral of Learning? Don’t know if he still has it together, or if the scale is right, but style-wise it would fit with the quad setting. It would also help chew up some of the vertical space in the display case.

I’m lost as to how Cathy fits in with a “libraries rock” theme…and at about 12 inches tall…It’s not going to do much chewing of vertical space…

seeing it in its current build status though, it could very easily take up horizontal space, strewn across the floor. I’m always willing to rebuild her, but she’s a wreck.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I’m lost as to how Cathy fits in with a “libraries rock” theme…and at about 12 inches tall…It’s not going to do much chewing of vertical space…

seeing it in its current build status though, it could very easily take up horizontal space, strewn across the floor. I’m always willing to rebuild her, but she’s a wreck.

It was just a thought Josh to add to the Quad, and I didn’t realize it was only 12″ tall. If it’s not together, then “never mind”! Tim’s already looking to fill the space with food trucks, etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar