9V Train Track

Home Forums LUG discussions BUY / SELL / TRADE! 9V Train Track

Tagged: ,

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

There is a guy here selling 9V train track. I figured nobody is interested in curved, but he has a large supply of straight track, which he brought in to show me.

The last time I bought 9V track on BL, it was all used, nothing was available for less than $4 a piece, nobody had them in large quantities, and the ones I did buy were not in the best condition.

He’s selling them in bags of 10 for $40, but he told me he’d sell them to me at $35 a bag if I can pay cash. He has both old grey and new grey, and I looked through some of them and they appear to be in excellent condition. He has a lot of other train parts like trucks and bases and cars from sets, I’m not sure anybody would be interested in that stuff though. He told me he’s selling a lot of his stuff cause he’s 82 and moving into a smaller house and doesn’t want to have to rent a storage unit for his Legos.

I’ve already spent a ton on Legos on recently but this is too good a deal to pass up. I’m gonna see if I can come up with the money to buy five bags, that’ll be three LUG display tables double-tracked. If anybody is interested, I can buy for them and they can pay me back later. But if you are interested, you’ll have to let me know soon, the convention ends Sunday.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

That’s a good deal, a year ago, I would have easily ordered two bags of track. I got 20 pieces of used 9V track for about $100 for the BFVA ’16 North Pole display.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Ben, I’d like to buy one of those bags of 10 9V straight track from you. I’m just getting started with 9V track, so don’t know much about old grey vs. new grey. Maybe you or someone on this thread can enlighten me.

If he has curved sections in decent shape, I might be interested in picking up some of those as well if the price is right. I did some checking this AM, and I can buy curved 9V track in Dark Stone Grey (assume that’s “new grey”) from one of the stores I normally use for the discounted price of $0.72 each, plus shipping. Let me know. Thanks!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

curved track is more common / cheaper because many train sets contained an oval with a full circle and only a few straights pieces

back when they made 9V track, a box of 8 straight pieces cost $5, now used ones a $5 each

Tim

@bengood921, I will also take a bag of 9V Straight Track. Thank you!!!

Tom Frost
    Participant

2 bags of straight, please

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Old grey or new? And if he runs of one color are you okay with the other? I can’t remember how it breaks down or how many bags of each he had, it’s a good amount, but we might be buying close to all of it at this point if we all do old grey.

Bob, when I talked to him he thought the best idea was for you to buy an ‘oval’, which is 16 curved and 4 straight, which I think he was selling for $45. I also thought you might need a 9V controller, and plug adapter for that controller, and a wire that connects the controller to the tracks. I also thought you might need an engine base. It sounds like his prices for all this stuff will be good and they’re gonna be in excellent condition, I told him I probably wanna buy two train controllers and adapters myself for GBC.

Hopefully I hear back from you guys tonight, cause I won’t be on the internet once I leave for public hours tomorrow, and I’ll have to make decisions on what to buy then, cause I won’t necessarily be able to track him down after that. He’s not around this evening.

Tim

@bengood921, my preference is OLD light gray, but I will take new light gray if that is all that is available. No curve; straight track only. I probably have 40-50 curve track pieces and need no more. Thank you again!

Tom Frost
    Participant

I don’t care what color, straight only

Bob Grier
    Participant

Ben, if you can swing the cash outlay, I’d like to go ahead and get the “oval” (16 curved and 4 straight) as you suggest, plus the 9V controller, plug adapter and wire connector. “Old grey” would be my preference on the track color, but if he doesn’t have that in both straights and curves then “new grey” is fine, as long as they’re all the same color. I’d also like to get an engine base if you can swing it, especially if he has one that’s in excellent condition. Finally, since it sounds like you’ll be buying a lot from him, how about seeing if he’ll throw in a few more “straights” as part of the deal! If not, that’s fine, but it can’t hurt to ask, right? Let me know what the total is, and we’ll figure out how to get the cash to you and where to meet once you’re back. Thanks again!!!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Bob it sounds like you should just buy a 9V train set on bricklink or eBay. My personal favorite is the 4559, because its black and yellow.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

My apologies, I have not been diligent in keeping you guys informed on this one. I did buy some stuff, but not everything that we’d hoped for. I probably could have done this better, so I apologize.

Jim is a super nice and friendly little 82-year-old Italian man, and as such, he was breaking exactly zero stereotypes. He was very chatty and it was hard to keep the conversation focused with him. I also had the problem that my GBC, despite being way better than previous models, was still fussy and required attention, and so I couldn’t leave during public hours to talk to him, and I was also giving you guys as much time as possible to let me know what you wanted, and so I didn’t settle up with him til 3pm on Sunday. And what I regret is that I did not have a firm commitment with him in place before then, because although he was not there as a vendor, he did have a small ‘9V train train track for sale’ sign taped to his display, and somebody else bought all the straight track on Sunday. He said it was an older woman with her grandson and she said ‘I want it all’ and paid cash on the spot.

I had planned on buying five bags for myself (this would’ve done 3 LUG tables double-tracked), and so Tim and Frost, you don’t owe me any money, but I also didn’t get you any track.

Bob, I got you an oval of old dark grey track, a controller, a power cable for the controller, and a wire to connect the controller to the track. They are $45, $12, $8, and $10 respectively, for a total of $75. I also bought myself two controllers and two cables, since I use them for both trains and GBC, I could use a couple more. I mailed him a check last week. We’ll have to figure out how to get that stuff to you, I could possibly drive them to you at some point if it means I get to come in for a few minutes and see your HP display in person, Frost can tell you that I am very appreciative of an awesome Lego basement.

I also left you with one problem though that you’re now going to have to solve yourself – you need an engine to power any train you build. It did occur to me on Sunday to ask about that for you, but Jim only had one that wasn’t for sale, he said a friend of his bought all the rest, and he said they’re expensive on BL. But without one, the rest of this stuff I just got you is useless, unless you’re content to let somebody else supply the train every time.

@timf
    @tfdesigns @rcgrier3406

Tom Frost
    Participant

so Tim and Frost, you don’t owe me any money, but I also didn’t get you any track.

BOO

Bob Grier
    Participant

Bob, I got you an oval of old dark grey track, a controller, a power cable for the controller, and a wire to connect the controller to the track. They are $45, $12, $8, and $10 respectively, for a total of $75. I also bought myself two controllers and two cables, since I use them for both trains and GBC, I could use a couple more. I mailed him a check last week. We’ll have to figure out how to get that stuff to you, I could possibly drive them to you at some point if it means I get to come in for a few minutes and see your HP display in person, Frost can tell you that I am very appreciative of an awesome Lego basement.

I also left you with one problem though that you’re now going to have to solve yourself – you need an engine to power any train you build. It did occur to me on Sunday to ask about that for you, but Jim only had one that wasn’t for sale, he said a friend of his bought all the rest, and he said they’re expensive on BL. But without one, the rest of this stuff I just got you is useless, unless you’re content to let somebody else supply the train every time.

Thanks Ben, I appreciate it. I’ll look for an engine to complete what I need. If you’re in the Gibsonia area, you’re welcome to stop by (I live about 2 miles from Greg’s), but right now the Hogwarts portion of the HP display is in the midst of being transformed into something I can get out of the room and transport. I’ll be displaying it BFL PGH in Monroeville in mid July, so meeting up there is another option. I’ll be there both days. If you need me to send you a check in the mean time, I can do that too. Let me know, and thanks again!!

Tim

Tim and Frost, you don’t owe me any money, but I also didn’t get you any track.

@bengood921 No worries, thanks for the offer. 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> BOO

I know, I’m sorry. Part of me was relieved I didn’t have to spend the extra money, cause I spent a ton both to travel to BrickWorld, and to prepare for it. But it’s just gonna cost me more down the road, when I wanna expand my town layout, and it costs me more per part, and I have to get them from eight different sellers, and pay shipping on all of them, and the condition of the track isn’t so great. So I wish I’d stayed more on top of that, I don’t go to conventions to shop though, finding a deal like that at those things is really rare. Normally the vendors don’t have anything on sale because they need to max out their returns from the uneducated public.

Bob, I won’t be at BFL, I will be out of town all week (family vacation), so I won’t even be there to be social. If you’re gonna be at Q3 and can wait that long, I can bring you the stuff then, but it might be easier for me to just drive over at some point. I can get to Greg’s house in about 15 minutes, so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

Bob Grier
    Participant

>>
    Bob, I won’t be at BFL, I will be out of town all week (family vacation), so I won’t even be there to be social. If you’re gonna be at Q3 and can wait that long, I can bring you the stuff then, but it might be easier for me to just drive over at some point. I can get to Greg’s house in about 15 minutes, so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

Ben, right now I am planning to go to the Q3 meeting. You’re welcome to stop over someday in the mean time. I’m retired, so my schedule is pretty flexible. The address is 3406 E. Stag Dr., Gibsonia 15044, and my cell is 724-841-6085. I’m still a couple of days away from finishing the Hogwarts transformation, so any day late next week or next weekend would work for me. Let me know.

Greg Schubert
    Participant
    David Bacon
    Participant

9V Train Track Enthusiasts, how does this lot on craigslist look to you?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/d/lego-train-set-extra-track/6768969147.html

Looks like it has a majority of the peices from sets KT205-1, 4561-1, 10013-1, 10015-1, 10016-1, 10017-1, and some extra track maybe.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The post has already been ‘deleted by the author’.

David Bacon
    Participant

The post has already been ‘deleted by the author’.

Shoot, that was fast. Must have been a good deal and either snatched up or he got too many inquiries.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar