Automated Train Switch

Home Forums MOCs Automated Train Switch

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sean Collins
    Participant

So I’ve been thinking a lot about this automatic train switcher since we started talking about it because of the winter display thing. So now I want to build it. My problem is i dont own a 9v train set. So my question.. would anyone be willing to work with me on this by supplying me (obviously more of a borrow thing) a 9v train set with at minimum of 4 track switches. In the mean time I’m going to start working on the layout, programming, and getting a 3rd nxt brick (since the 1st i had got from some one was broken -_- ). The other nxt brick is would handle train switching exclusively for up to 4 trains (maybe more if i do a binary system) but in the mean time the one working one i have will have to do. hahaha

Sean Collins
    Participant

so this is what im came up with so far

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Sean Collins.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

As a practical matter, one usually wants to avoid having a turn out immediately after a curve. The trains (at least 9-v) tend to bind up and have difficulty maintaining momentum. It usually is a good idea to have at least 2 pieces of straight track after the curve before another curve or turnout.

Sean Collins
    Participant

The layout is really just concept as im unfamiliar with the Lego train system 9 volt 12 volt battery operated any of them

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The layout of 9V track can be tricky, and I am sure there is lots of advice online about what to do and what not to do, ex.

Track Layout Geometry

I personally do not know for certain whether different sections of the track will be energized / de-energized by throwing the switches.

Also, I cannot tell whether a particular configuration will result in a short circuit, even temporarily while the switches are being moved, if the pairs of switches (before and after each length of track) are not moved at precisely the same moment.

I would seek out advice online from a LEGO train forum. Someone has probably solved many of these problems already.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Here is an idea for a switching mechanism.

Would you need a sensor to know when one train has come in for some down time so you could release a fresh train?

Sean Collins
    Participant

Would you need a sensor to know when one train has come in for some down time so you could release a fresh train?

In the program I account for a switch system to check when trains have docked. As soon as the current train laps 5 times the 6th time it triggers itll start the docking process. Each time the systems switches track the system will cut the power to the line and repower once the switch has been completed. The only issue i have is i dont own a 9v track to test and tweek the program on. As far as everything else I already own what i need for a working prototype.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am willing to try out the train switching stuff with you … next week, because I’m getting ready for / attending brickfair this week.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar