Avalon Library Star Wars Days

Home Forums LUG discussions Avalon Library Star Wars Days

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

From Sara at the Avalon branch:

“We are doing Star Wars Saturdays throughout April leading up to screenings of The Force Awakens on 4/23. We would love a Star Wars display if you can do it!

As for the dates, we would like it up by the first Star Wars Saturday (4/2) and would like to leave it up at least through the Force Awakens on 4/23. Maybe we could tear it down at some point during the following week?”

Given that folks like @solscud007 and @paulamalu and a lot of yinz have a lot of SW stuff (even I have a couple SW sets), and that this one wouldn’t need to be a largely custom/MOC display, it seems like a fun and easy one. Sara is supposed to get back to me with dimensions today; will post when available.

I checked their website for details, and they’re legit showing the entire series – two per Saturday. Or, in other words, nothing is happening on 4/2, or the morning of 4/9, but A New Hope shows on the afternoon of 4/9, Empire and Jedi show on 4/16, and two screenings of TFA on 4/23! (they might even be free!) Also of note, their children’s page shows they have “Tinker Time” once a month where kids can play w/ LEGO, and the teen page shows “MAKE-ing Magic” which just ended, but looks like they did things like stop-motion LEGO animation. So that’s cool that they already have some LEGO-related programs, and maybe an opportunity for folks like @iamrjthompson who live near Avalon to get involved, if they so desire. 😉

So. Who wants to contribute to a Star Wars display? We’d need to figure it out within the next 3 weeks, but it should be fairly simple and not require a ton of building, assuming people have some stock or modified sets already built!

Nick Chen
    Participant

I’m down! I have a lot of SW sets. LOL. Only issue is that i will be driving back from Daytona Beach on that day. So maybe Lisa can drop stuff off for me.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Only issue is that i will be driving back from Daytona Beach on that day.

On which day? We don’t have a firm install date set yet – Sara just said they’d like it to be set up before Saturday 4/2 (the day they show Movie Which Must Not Be Named I and II…) So we can work something out the week of March 27-April 2, I’m sure.

Nick Chen
    Participant

Only issue is that i will be driving back from Daytona Beach on that day.

On which day? We don’t have a firm install date set yet – Sara just said they’d like it to be set up before Saturday 4/2 (the day they show Movie Which Must Not Be Named I and II…) So we can work something out the week of March 27-April 2, I’m sure.

I am gone that entire week. I am most likely driving down Sunday for a factory tour in Columbia, SC on Monday. Then driving down on Tues to Daytona Beach for a gun writers event Wed-Fri.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I am gone that entire week. I am most likely driving down Sunday for a factory tour in Columbia, SC on Monday. Then driving down on Tues to Daytona Beach for a gun writers event Wed-Fri.

OK, fair enough. Just wanted to confirm you were thinking about the beginning of April, not the 23rd. We’ll figure it out.

Nick Chen
    Participant

Yep. I am gone last week of March. But maybe we can get access to the Library on the Sat before? Worst case I can set aside some sets for Lisa and she might be able to bring them down.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yeah, plenty of time to sort it out. I can ask her about setting up before you leave. We’ll see.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Avalon is Northwest of downtown Pittsburgh, near Neville Island, on the North side of the Ohio River.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Avalon,+PA+15202/@40.4658484,-80.0796161,12z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8834f45484673593:0x8a7bd99b597c1911

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Avalon is Northwest of downtown Pittsburgh

Thanks, Greg. I should’ve mentioned that.

David Bacon
    Participant

Since I A) frequent this library often, and B) love Star Wars Lego, I should probably help out with this project. I’ll try to talk to Sara when I go there next. I am guessing they would display in the small glass cabinets between the DVD shelves and the adult reading sunroom.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

That’s awesome, David! Yeah, if you can talk to her in person / scout out the cabinets and get pics and a firsthand impression about what will fit, etc., that’d be rad. She said there are adjustable shelves, and gave me this:

These measurements are very approximate.

Width: 33 in.
    Depth: 17 in.
    Height: 67 in.

So, I figure we basically have one big baseplate deep (15″) by 2 wide (30″), and can build some tall stuff up or just display different SW ships and such on the shelves.

I did ask her for photos and a few other details (is there lighting inside cases? can we hang stuff on fishing line from top of case? etc.) but she hasn’t replied to that one yet.

Tim

Width: 33 in.
    Depth: 17 in.
    Height: 67 in.
    So, I figure we basically have one big baseplate deep (15″) by 2 wide (30″)

So tall and narrow. OK. How about the Death Star “Princess Leia rescue scene” from Episode IV? Construct tall shafts with openings at multiple levels. Vignettes could include Obi Wan disabling the shield generator, C3PO and R2 in the control room, Luke and Leia escaping the stormtroopers, and even the stormtrooper hitting his head on the opening door.

David Bacon
    Participant

I am going to stop by the library today after work to take pictures and get some more details and brainstorm with Sara.

I think it would be cool to add some detailed character builds similar to Cubedudes or MINILAND scale.

David Bacon
    Participant

Notes from my visit to the library:

There are two display cases. Area for display is Height 68″ x Width 31″ x Depth 15″. A baseplate is 10″ x 10″, so we can fit 1-1/2 x 3 baseplates.

Each display has 4 shelves and each shelf is made of glass. They use an adjustable rail system so we can move the shelves as needed. They also should have 4 more shelves available in their basement.

They are available on evenings Tuesdays and Thursdays until 8, or we could setup the weekend before, but that is Easter weekend, and I will be out of town.

I also talked about doing an activity. They would be open to that, so if someone wants to do one on a weeknight, that might get some more attention. They find that Saturdays are hard to attract people to anything other than movie showings.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Thanks for the scouting report, David! It really helps to have a photo. Two sided case, so we can keep that in mind (this would’ve been perfect for the anthill-style build we did for Dig Into Reading a couple years ago!) Lots of flexibility here, so I think we can do a lot with the Star Wars theme…

My thought would be to pick either Tue 3/29 or Thu 3/31 to set up, and meet in the early evening. Should be fairly straightforward and not take more than a couple hours.

Not sure I can commit to a weeknight event during April, but if 2-4 members can support, I’d say go for it! Can do our basic build challenges (tallest tower, strongest bridge) with minimal prep, and maybe work in a Star Wars twist. Or come up with something completely different – it’s always good to innovate and add to our bag of tricks!

FYI – Sara has previously said they are NOT going to be part of any summer displays in conjunction with the Ready, Set, Read! theme, as the display cases are already spoken for.

David Bacon
    Participant

I would suggest a lightsaber building competition where they build lightsaber hilts out of Lego.

For the displays, it would be nice to have a variety of the movies represented, even the prequels. Also, with the bracket shelving system, we can tie fishing line to them to hang items as we desire.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I would suggest a lightsaber building competition where they build lightsaber hilts out of Lego.

Nice.

For the displays, it would be nice to have a variety of the movies represented, even the prequels.

Less nice. #lifesizeJarJar

Also, with the bracket shelving system, we can tie fishing line to them to hang items as we desire.

Very nice! Think the UCS B-Wing would fly?!?

David Bacon
    Participant

Very nice! Think the UCS B-Wing would fly?!?

Definitely

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by David Bacon.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Definitely.

I have it built and can probably contribute it. Maybe can whip up a few of the original SW sets too, if’n I can find the pieces.

Nick Chen
    Participant

How many UCS Bwings do you want? I have two. I also have UCS Xwing (which I am not sure will fit), UCS Tie and UCS Slave 1. OOh David Bacon should put his UCS millenium falcon inside, sideways. LOL

Nick Chen
    Participant

I have my ATAT, Sand Crawler built as well. I have Jango Slave one and System Slave one with a stand if we want to save space.

I could build my AT-TE and Republic Gunships. The Dropship would probably be too big. I have the two most recent Millennium falcons built as well.

David Bacon
    Participant

OOh David Bacon should put his UCS millenium falcon inside, sideways. LOL

Not sure I trust my Falcon in that glass display case at the library.

I could however provide the classic UCS TIE Interceptor, the UCS R2-D2, and the Ewok village.

I was also thinking it would be cool to make a RathTar MOC of some sort to go along with the newest Falcon set.

I also have a number of the small micro sets that would look cool hanging along with some planet orbs.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I was also thinking it would be cool to make a RathTar MOC of some sort to go along with the newest Falcon set.

This sounds like a job for… @hacim!

Attachments:
    Micah Beideman
    Participant

Oh dang, a Rthtar would be fun to build, but also really hard…
    mainly finding a way to do all those brick built tentacles and pull off the menacing look. The main body seems pretty doable.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Oh dang, a Rthtar would be fun to build, but also really hard…
    mainly finding a way to do all those brick built tentacles and pull off the menacing look. The main body seems pretty doable.

You’re saying a lot of words, but the only two I want to hear are

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar