Boxes and Bags

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Boxes and Bags

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Does anyone keep their set boxes and bags? Is there any point from a resale perspective? I have all the UCS ones in their original shape, but storing all the other set boxes is becoming a serious space issue. What about flattening them? Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Is there any point from a resale perspective?

I remember when I first opened my BrickLink store, and I saw it was an option, I couldn’t imagine it was worth the hassle of keeping the boxes, and storing them (I lived in a small apartment at the time), and I couldn’t imagine anybody would really want them and be willing to pay to ship them. But a friend of mine has a BL store also and he told me he’s made money selling the boxes. So if they’re UCS sets, it’s quite possible that there’ll be an interest. I’d look up the boxes on BrickLink and see what they’re selling for and see if any have actually sold in the last 6 months and at what prices, that should probably give you a good idea if it’s worth it for you. I would think that flattening them would reduce their value, but I’m not sure about that.

I have some of my old classic boxes – Galaxy Explorer, yellow castle, etc – but I cut them apart and only saved the front and the back, so that they’re easy to store.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have some of my old classic boxes – Galaxy Explorer, yellow castle, etc – but I cut them apart

gasp!

But to answer Jim’s question, my advice is to put them in an attic in plastic bags for many years until they become worth something.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Sigh…I need a bigger house! LOL 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I feel like there are other old threads discussing this type of thing… but I ain’t gonna go find ’em now.

I sold 2 boxes from UCS B-Wing sets to someone in China for like $13 each, but the hassles of packing and shipping probably outweighed the “profit”… to each his own, but I mostly don’t bother saving boxes these days. Now, creative reuse / using as packing material for other sets, I can get behind…

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Thanks! I could not find another thread…sorry.

NO one seems to flatten them but I just can’t find the room for every box in it’s original form. I will pick and choose I guess which I am keeping original and which will be flattened or tossed. It definitely increases eBay value to have the box but mostly that is for original boxes…again, not sure I have seen flattened ones out there. UCS sets I definitely keep the boxes as is but the other sets will be a toss-up based on room and re-sale-ability I guess…or cool pics!

Tim

I’ve kept a few boxes over the years, which I still use to storing pieces (Main Street 6390 and Mobile Rocket Transport 6950), mainly because they had nice plastic and Styrofoam inserts. I’ve kept a few others as well; mainly large sets. But otherwise, I generally recycle the boxes immediately. No room for box storage.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

If anyone has a box for the 7190 Millenium Falcon made in 2000, I’ll take it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar