Brickfest Live Pittsburgh

Home Forums LUG discussions Brickfest Live Pittsburgh

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Whiteside
    Participant

Nov 7th-8th, Brickfest live will be in Pittsburgh. Should we plan on displaying as a LUG? I am not sure if this is an option but it might be cool.

I’ve heard there are some mixed feelings about people’s brickfest live experiences but this is a large Lego event on our doorstep. I would like to display if possible.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Whiteside.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Nov 7th-8th, Brickfest live will be in Pittsburgh

Walter, thanks for the notice, it does seem like something we should do.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

This is interesting, because that is the weekend that I would normally expect the Greenberg’s Train Show to be. According to the BFL site, they are going to be at the Monroeville Convention Center. That means Greenberg’s will have to be either the weekend before or after (neither of which I will be available for), but they don’t schedule that far ahead. (Currently their schedule goes into August, and includes a Monroeville show the last weekend of July.)

I don’t see why we wouldn’t do this one. Although I was barely involved, I remember we had a large and successful display for BFL in July 2017. I don’t think we’ll get paid for this one (nor will we have to pay to be there, since it’s not a full fan convention), but I expect we’ll be able to ask for more space and have more flexibility in what we display (no pressure to put in lots of trains) than we’d have at Greenberg’s.

The question of whether or not to do BFL and Greenberg’s on consecutive weekends is a discussion, I think, for another day. Namely, one that occurs after Greenberg’s announces the November show dates.

Tim

Any idea where this will be? That is the first weekend in November and that is usually the Greenberg’s Train Show at the Monroeville Convention Center. Unfortunately, Greenberg’s does not release their show schedule for the fall until late spring/early summer. It would be interesting (an possibly not in a good way) if both events were on the same weekend.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Ha, it looks like I beat Tim by mere seconds.

I have trouble believing Greenberg’s is gonna move to another venue. I think more likely it will be the weekend after, I’m pretty sure they’ve had it that late in the month before.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Agree that this is definitely one that we should plan on displaying at!! The crowd will be there because of their love of LEGO, not because they are train enthusiasts. If Greenberg’s ends up being the same weekend, to me it’s a no brainer, Brickfest Live would make more sense for us!!

Rich Millich
    Participant

If this is true, this may be the 2020 event I gear up for to display and staff.

Tim

Just to confirm, I am all in favor of doing BFL. 🙂

Krista K

Count us in for BFL!

Josh
    Keymaster

who wants to lead and reach out to chad & co?

Will McDine
    Participant

I’m all in for doing this as long as the BFL staff will have us. They treated us pretty well the last time and I see no reason why they wouldn’t do the same again.

Krista K

Unless someone else has an overwhelming desire to be the point of contact, I could do it since we’ll be in Philly anyway and could talk to Chad in person too.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Unless someone else has an overwhelming desire to be the point of contact, I could do it since we’ll be in Philly anyway and could talk to Chad in person too.

That sounds like a plan to me, I’m gonna say let’s go with that. In the unlikely event of an objection, I’m sure we’ll hear about it.

Krista K

Who coordinated with Chad last time? I’m curious as to how much space we asked or had last time. Also, do we feel that we need more?

Whiteside
    Participant

Who coordinated with Chad last time? I’m curious as to how much space we asked or had last time. Also, do we feel that we need more?

I think we should negotiate as large of a footprint as we can manage. I know we can show displays with architecture, Christmas, Harry Potter, trains, and of course there’s a bunch of us with our own different takes on space.

Tim

I think we should negotiate as large of a footprint as we can manage. I know we can show displays with architecture, Christmas, Harry Potter, trains, and of course there’s a bunch of us with our own different takes on space.

I agree. We have lots of different interests in the LUG and this is a great opportunity to display them all.

On a somewhat related note, maybe we should consider renting a U-Haul (local) for set up day and tear down day if it looks like we are going to have a huge display.

Will McDine
    Participant

I agree with the Uhaul truck. With a show like this we should be taking every single LUG table and using them to our full advantage. Whether we are using them all together or in small clusters of tables we should use them to our advantage as long as chad will allow.

Krista K

Sounds like a plan. I’ll start to work some magic and will keep you posted.

Krista K

I reached out to Chad and got a positive response:

Thank you for reaching out! Absolutely!! We would love to have you display again this year ❤️

We’re going to talk more in Philly. I’m definitely going to try to negotiate for more space, but if anyone knows what we had before that’d be helpful just to know.

Tim

We at least had a 20×20 space (and maybe a bit larger than that – we used event tables, not LUG tables). I can not imagine that Chad pretty much will give us as much space as we want. The Monroeville Convention Center is quite large and they want big displays.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I can not imagine that Chad pretty much will give us as much space as we want.

I think this was supposed to be a double negative, ie. Chad will give us as much as we want.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I think this was supposed to be a double negative, ie. Chad will give us as much as we want.

nope. Chad won’t give us as much space as we want. #setinstone

Krista K

I thought the 20×20 was right, but I wasn’t sure. That’s definitely good to know and a good jumping off point for negotiating more space. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I feel like there was space available on the vendor side (I think it was like to the right of the display) that we could have gone bigger. Something’s sticking out in my mind that there was a large open space near us.

Bob Grier
    Participant

For reference, I was able to find and upload pics from our Brickfest Live display back in 2017 to the LUG Gallery. To view them, click on the “Gallery” tab at the top right corner of this page, and then click on the “Brickfest Live 2017” album on page 1 of the Gallery.

Tim

Thanks, Bob! Those pictures are super helpful. It can definitely be seen that there was a lot of open space that we did not fill. We were able to spread everything out so it did not look so bare but we absolutely had lots of extra room within that footprint.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar