Build Box at The Humble Barber

Home Forums LUG discussions Build Box at The Humble Barber

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I mentioned this idea at Q4, and it was largely pooh-poohed. But perhaps someone who missed the meeting will think it’s cool and want to help make it happen. So…

Last time I was in for a cut, Brad (a.k.a. The Humble Barber) mentioned that it might be cool to have a cigar box or something with LEGO inside, and maybe some instructions so people can build something while they wait. He’s already got comic books and whatnot, so this would fit right in with the vibe of the shop.

I was thinking, kind of along the lines of how @zaximillian wanted me to do LDD instructions for my little space skiffs, that if a few of us wanted to create smallish builds and instructions, we could source the parts and give people the ability to recreate any of several of our builds – and of course, they could also free build as inspiration strikes.

I’m sure Brad would use his considerable reach (over 500 FB followers, over 600 on Instagram) to preach the gospel of LEGO and our club. And of course, we can put Steel City LUG business cards and info in the box, as well. #recruitingtool

So let me know if people are interested in contributing. If not, we can at least provide a box’o’random’brick…

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    David Bacon
    Participant

I kind of like this idea. Sorry I wasn’t at the meeting to not pooh-pooh it. Would something less than 50 pcs be appropriate?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yes, I think anything reasonably small would be fine. I don’t see a lower limit, really; just a vague upper limit of “something that’d not require more pieces than would fit in a shoe box or take several hours to build…”

Dan (Beast)
    Participant

I made this F-117 while back for /r/lego, It’s 20 pieces, which is a nice small part count. It might be good for the Cigar boxes

F-117 20 Piece challenge

Tom Frost
    Participant

I have a couple Tiny Turbo style cars I designed that could work for this. Also, I would be willing to make nice building instructions for others’ creations for this.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Beast / Frost, those would both be perfect!

To be clear, we’re talking about (at least for a season) donating the parts to build these, with some risk (although I’d say it’d be fairly small) of pieces wandering off.

We can make a little blurb about the LUG, and say something like “Build one of these custom models designed by our members, or create your own, but please leave all pieces in the box when you’re done so others can build them as well!” and then rely on people to be decent human beings… and it’s not like Brad and any other patrons wouldn’t see if people tried to swipe parts, anyway…

Josh
    Keymaster

if the parts are in lug inventory, we can pull from there. I like the builds you have beast and tom!

Skipper Mike
    Participant

As mentioned in the meeting this is also my barber. I talked to him when I got my hair cut last and is really excited about it. He wants to have it for people to build with while they wait and also to get the word out about the LUG.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I have this box we could use

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Izzat a ‘lectrified third rail I see?

Look, @randomdan! #SPACETRAIN!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Tom Frost
    Participant

Izzat a ‘lectrified third rail I see?

I just might be working on a #SPACESTRAIN

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

#SPACESTRAIN

Wait…

…Space Strain, like The Andromeda Strain?

…or Spaces Train, like a train that’s double parked…?

Tom Frost
    Participant

Wait…

…Space Strain, like The Andromeda Strain?

…or Spaces Train, like a train that’s double parked…?

no no like my fingers cant spell on my phone

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

no no like my fingers cant spell on my phone

Oh. That’s not nearly as exciting.

Except #SPACETRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Collins
    Participant

I like this idea too, i do think we need to set a list of part that will be inside the box and from that pool make our creations from said list. also by creating a list of part we will know when parts go missing and be able to quickly replace them.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Bumping this thread. I’d like to see us solidify several models & their instructions to review by Q1 (3/18) – this would allow us to pull parts from LUG inventory and finalize details.

Sean – I was viewing it the opposite, in that we would stock the box with whatever parts are needed to build the several things we design. Either way, though, I agree that a full inventory of the box’s contents would be wise. Brad could let us know if he notices things missing / those of us who patronize him could take stock when we visit.

Rich Millich
    Participant

All right, I’m in. Micro Vic Viper BEGIN!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Rich Millich.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

[Dang. I had a nice post written, and my computer went wonky, and I lost it. Trying again…]

I missed Q1, but don’t want to totally forget about this project. So let’s talk.

1) Builders – looks like @bacon1986, @howhardcoulditb, @arcadiumsol, @zaximillian, @tfdesigns, myself, and possibly @skippermike (you said Brad’s your barber, not that you wanted to build 😉 ) So that’d mean at least 5-6 MOCs. Not bad!

2) Bricks – once we get LDD files / instructions, should be easy enough to pull what we can from LUG inventory, then either donate or place a Bricklink order for the rest. We could make it strictly the parts to build the exact models, or could throw in some random bricks too…

3) Instructions – does everyone have access to LDD? If not, we’ll have to figure out how to get your designs uploaded – loan the model to a volunteer who has the software? Tom, did you generate those sweet instructions from LDD?

Also – if we’re printing 4-page instructions like Tom’s sample for 5-7 MOCs, that’s a lot of paper. Can we do it smaller than 8.5×11″? Maybe make those into half pages, so each one could be a single sheet of 8.5×11 front & back?

4) Box – the red 2×2 would definitely work, or Brad said he could find a cigar box.

5) Timeline – Do people have their MOCs ready to go? If so, I’d say let’s shoot for April 15 to finish the instructions and start sourcing parts, and April 30 to have it ready to go.

6) Promotion – I’d say we include some of our business cards, obviously. A small writeup could be nice, too.

What am I missing?

Tom Frost
    Participant

Tom, did you generate those sweet instructions from LDD?

No. I use LDRAW and generate the building instructions using LPUB. I am still willing to create building instructions for others’ models for this project. I can work with an LDD file also because Stud.io can convert LDD to LDRAW.

Also – if we’re printing 4-page instructions like Tom’s sample

Actually, I reformatted the instructions for that model (also changed to a more readily available color) and got it down to one page front and back including a bill of materials. I’m hoping that we could maybe bind the instructions into a small book(let) that would fit inside the box.

Josh
    Keymaster

did this happen?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Nope. Thanks for the bump – was meaning to do it.

I have the box.

Tom is still awaiting LDD files from which to make instructions, as far as I know.

Let’s set a target to get those to him by June 14, and get the build box assembled by July 1… that work for yinz guys?

Are these folks still interested? @bacon1986, @howhardcoulditb, @arcadiumsol, @zaximillian, @tfdesigns, @skippermike

Dan (Beast)
    Participant

So sorry for how long I put this off. I have been busy training in Oklahoma.

Sean Collins
    Participant

id still like to do this but i would like a list of parts to build from.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Upload Errors:
    Mini F117.lxf: Sorry, this file type is not permitted for security reasons.

Oh noes! I think you’ll have to e-mail that to Tom…

id still like to do this but i would like a list of parts to build from.

OK, Sean… that’s the opposite of how I was envisioning it, but we could do it this way. I was figuring on designing the models, then using the parts required to build the models to stock the box.

Do other folks have your models designed already? I know Tom and I do, and it seems Beast does as well. So, we could take the already-designed models, generate a parts list, and give that to Sean / anyone else who prefers to work that way. And we could add in some other parts, if we like…

Thoughts?

Sean Collins
    Participant

@philmatt24 i just dont want to build something that adds a lot of new parts to the box. If my build adds 1 or 2 thats fine but i think the smaller amount of parts we need to add to the box inventory the better.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar