Christmas Display: PA Trolley Museum 'Santa Trolley'

Home Forums LUG discussions Christmas Display: PA Trolley Museum 'Santa Trolley'

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

Alright, sorry about the delay, first week of school has been extraordinarily busy. We are go go for the museum display, (I’ve cleared it with the VSM). Basic Info – Santa Trolley will start on the 29th November and run weekends through the 15th of December. We will be sharing the events room with other activities and crafts. Our allotted area will be up to 300sqft (20’x15′) depending on what we decide to fill.

I have a couple of photos I will be posting of the room, along with a few I took of model train modules some friends of mine brought from Philadelphia for an event at the museum. These might give us some ideas for how we could build/set up modules. I’m going to drop up a preliminary layout CAD. Discussion for this event can resume now! Although I’m guessing most of it’s going to be taking place in the Greenberg’s forums for now.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Laura, as I recall, it was suggested that one preliminary step might be to provide a list of dates that your exhibit needs to be staffed and determine whether there is sufficient availability of LUG members or other people to cover the required dates.

Laura
    Participant

Laura, as I recall, it was suggested that one preliminary step might be to provide a list of dates that your exhibit needs to be staffed and determine whether there is sufficient availability of LUG members or other people to cover the required dates.

Thank you for reminding me Greg. The museum will be open from 10am to 5pm each of the days. I think it would be best to have at least 2 people staffing the exhibit each day in 2 shifts. The first shift would cover mornings (getting the exhibit ready, making sure everything is working) and the second would cover afternoons. I think adding a small overlap period between changes will allow for any problems that may have arisen in the morning to be addressed. Of course if more than one person would want to work any of these shifts, or for the entire day, I wouldn’t stop them 🙂

November 29 – 9:30am – 1:30pm & 1pm – 5pm
    November 30 – 9:30am – 1:30pm & 1pm – 5pm
    December 1 – 9:30am – 1:30pm & 1pm – 5pm
    December 7 – 9:30am – 1:30pm & 1pm – 5pm
    December 8 – 9:30am – 1:30pm & 1pm – 5pm
    December 14 – 9:30am – 1:30pm & 1pm – 5pm
    December 15 – 9:30am – 1:30pm & 1pm – 5pm

Offhand, I also think we should do a general inventory of what we have available, both in terms of track, and in terms of engines and rolling stock. I am in the middle of that now for the Future Tenant display, but there is no reason why this could not be a base list to plan displays in the future, especially this one.

Josh
    Keymaster

Laura, think it’s too early to draft up those times in a doodle?

It’s not official yet, but staffing an event is slated to be awarded with a small pick a brick cup. hopefully more to come in that thread.

it might be worth mentioning, This thread will be for event logistics – all display specific build discussions will take place here http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/every-child-deserves-a-christmas-december-event/

tables, stanchions, and coverings provided?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Thanksgiving weekend would be difficult for me, but I *might* be able to do a shift. It’s pretty early for me to be planning the other weekends, but I’m definitely good for at least a few shifts. It might make for a long day, but I’d be just as inclined to do two shifts the same day as to drive down from the city twice. Because I care about the environment, don’cha know. 😉

Speaking of this scheduling, the December AFOL day is Dec. 8. I was planning to go – to either Columbus or Cleveland (hmm, from the Trolley Museum in WashPA, it’s about 2.5 hrs to either store…) We may need to work out a plan so people can cover the display and still go to the LEGO store…

Laura
    Participant

Yeppers, I have a photo of the room below, the line indicates where the end of the display would be. I also have a concept for how the tables could be arranged for the display. It’s just a thought, not in anyway set in stone.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Laura
    Participant

Doodle event has been set up here http://doodle.com/fb93vfb9827pa3ri

I hope I did it right!

Tim

Yeppers, I have a photo of the room below, the line indicates where the end of the display would be. I also have a concept for how the tables could be arranged for the display. It’s just a thought, not in anyway set in stone.

Is the proposal a “U” shape where the crown would “come into the center area and have the display on three sides? That would be hard to “police” the entire layout due to so many viewing sides. Looking at the available space, I would suggest doing an “L” shape layout with the control area behind it (the tables would align with the orange lines in the photo). That would allow viewing from two sides while minimizing the exposed fronts and keeping it fairly easy to police.

Josh
    Keymaster

doodle looks good, Laura.

To tim’s question – is your yellow area the spot where people would be able to “walk into” the display? I can see Tim’s concern, though I don’t share an intense concern myself, but I wonder if there’s a way to expand the stanchion gap to decrease that risk. Another concern is that a lot of that table space is going to have to be used for train track loops, since there is not a continuous table to make 1 track loop.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Another concern is that a lot of that table space is going to have to be used for train track loops, since there is not a continuous table to make 1 track loop.

True. If we’re largely reusing the Greenberg show layout, it’ll be interesting modifying it to fill this space. Could we possibly make it awesomer by having a complete square of tables, but a tunnel for viewers to get up close and personal? Like the penguin exhibit at the aviary!

Also, I filled out the Doodle, but my times are more “I can probably do at least one of these days” than firm commitments. And I may be available for some other days as well, but not sure yet. Definitely will work at least one or two days. Have we discussed juggling the exhibit with the AFOL day on Dec 8th yet?

Dan
    Participant

Why not build single line tracks with loops on the ends? Lego switches allow for trailing point moves, so this is entirely possible. We could add multiple lines beside each other (obviously the “inner” line would be shorter) to give us the benefit of running two trains with minimal supervision (one won’t catch up with the other and ram it). Pardon my horrible Paint skills, but I’ve attached a basic diagram of my proposal.

Attachments:
    Laura
    Participant

Only problem I foresee with an inner loop is that it obviously would need a tighter radius. Unfortunately that is a limitation of LEGO track, and the tales sizes we will be working with. The tightest radius it can make is about 30″, or the width of 1 standard size 8′ table. We would either have to double up 2 standard tables or make our own platforms that would be able to fit two loops.

Tim

When are the available set up times?

Laura
    Participant

Possible set up dates are as follows… 16th, 17th, 23rd or 24th. We can set up during the day on any of these dates.

Josh
    Keymaster

in your table layout, where is the door? ie: how is that arranged on the floor?

Laura
    Participant

After reading Tim’s Concerns this is the next concept I’ve come up with. There’s room for buildings and other displays in front of the train and I’d like to make a Christmas tree farm up away from the town. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments:
    Tim

After reading Tim’s Concerns this is the next concept I’ve come up with. There’s room for buildings and other displays in front of the train and I’d like to make a Christmas tree farm up away from the town. Let me know what you guys think.

Laura, this looks good. It is a lot less table space than Greenberg will be so not everything displayed at Greenberg will be able to be displayed at the Trolley Museum. Do you want those who plan to contribute to the Trolley Display to start “claiming” spaces? Or would you prefer to first take a look at what is displayed at Greenberg and then select an appropriate assortment of MOCs to fit into the Trolley Display?

Josh
    Keymaster

It is a lot less table space than Greenberg will be so not everything displayed at Greenberg will be able to be displayed at the Trolley Museum.

To this point, I think we should make the Trolley a snow/winter scene only. We want the Trolley display to be the best christmas display ever, so they keep having us back. It should be more than just a lego train display. That isn’t to say people with modulars aren’t welcome, it says, add some snow tiles/piles/roofs/ice etc!!

Laura
    Participant

I think we should make the Trolley a snow/winter scene only

I’m all for having it be a snow scene, and we can always cover any modular builds with white brick to make it look like snow has fallen on it. I also think we can use the snow carnival and a small pond with ice skating and the carnival around it. As far as the tree farm goes I’m going to have farm buildings and trees, but I will need a lot more trees than I have…

Josh
    Keymaster

one thing about the layout is we’re going to want to make room for tim’s 3×3 admin building…

Josh
    Keymaster

to the set up date – our due date is nov 16th…no clue when we’ll go…I suppose I only *NEED* to be there if we do the Q4 meeting on that day…

Can everyone make Nov 23rd? anyone have a strong preference for the 16th or 17th?

Laura
    Participant

My only concern with November 23rd was that it’s Dr. Who day… and while we used to get BBC America at the museum it hasn’t been working lately =( Other than that, if that is what’s decided I’m fine with it.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

My only concern with November 23rd was that it’s Dr. Who day…

Thought we were going to the theater with all the other little Burgh Whovians… (how many are there? Surely at least three…)

Tim

Thought we were going to the theater with all the other little Burgh Whovians… (how many are there? Surely at least three…)

I thought the theater show was on the following Monday (Nov 25).

Anyways, I can probably do either the 16 or 17. I can not do the 23rd (alas, it has nothing to do with Dr. Who). I could do Sunday, November 24 in the morning until noon.

Is the Museum closed to the public until the November 29th opening? Or will we be setting up in a public space (in which case, what are the security arrangements between set up and the 29th)?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar