Christmas Display: PA Trolley Museum 'Santa Trolley'

Home Forums LUG discussions Christmas Display: PA Trolley Museum 'Santa Trolley'

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

Just to be clear: we do NOT need this track order for the Santa Trolley display, correct?

With the number Tim came up with (168 I believe) our on hand track will cover it.

I’m fine with chipping in for some of the track costs, and in fact, depending on the shipping costs, I might go ahead and get some curves and whatnot as well. How do yinz feel about dark bluish gray 9V track – sacrilege? or ok? He has 6 of those – not many, but if we’re already ordering and shipping isn’t gonna go up, why not add them too?

Dark blay is fine with me, since all the modified track is dark blay. As far as curved tracks go we don’t necessarily need them for the lug, but if you want to buy them so you can make trains on your own that’s a good idea. I tend to get my trains out at home when I’m bored and see how big of a loop I can make. 🙂

If anyone wants anything added to the order let me know, the store is http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=sucram75&itemID=45449211.
    I spoke to the seller and he said next shipping step is a 2kg-Package for 15€. He has 35 loose straight tracks left now as well as curves and switches which could fit into the 2kg-Package.

Dan Efran
    Participant

I would happily join the track order: I haven’t any track at all, but would like to start building trackside scenery for our train displays.

I don’t know anything about track but I’d want to start with about 64 studs length of straight track, to go across the front of a 1-by-2-baseplate train station scene.

I wouldn’t mind doubling that and adding curves to make it an oval, but that’s optional, since I don’t have any trains or controllers! (As long as a big order is in the works, why not leave myself room for future expansion?)

No idea if I’ll have anything ready for the trolley display – I hope to, but don’t count on it: it’s already Nov 15! Eek!

I probably can staff the trolley event somewhat…details pending.

Laura
    Participant

64 studs length of straight track, to go across the front of a 1-by-2-baseplate train station scene. I wouldn’t mind doubling that and adding curves to make it an oval, but that’s optional, since I don’t have any trains or controllers! (As long as a big order is in the works, why not leave myself room for future expansion?)

That sounds good.

If anyone else wants in on the order let me know what you want by tomorrow and I’ll add it to the order.

No idea if I’ll have anything ready for the trolley display – I hope to, but don’t count on it: it’s already Nov 15! Eek! I probably can staff the trolley event somewhat…details pending.

if you can’t contribute anything that’s fine, we really do need people to commit to some staffing time so that would be great.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by Laura.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by Laura.
    Laura
    Participant

The tables are set and ready for next weekend’s set up, here’s a picture of the tables set up in the room to give everyone an idea of what it’s going to look like.

Tim, if possible could you bring the table coverings we used at Greenberg?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Doug
    Participant

Which day are we setting up, Saturday or Sunday?

Laura
    Participant

Which day are we setting up, Saturday or Sunday?

Saturday (11/23)

Tim

The tables are set and ready for next weekend’s set up, here’s a picture of the tables set up in the room to give everyone an idea of what it’s going to look like.

Tim, if possible could you bring the table coverings we used at Greenberg?

Yes, I will bring the green cloths and I have one white sheet. I think Josh has the other white sheets so hopefully someone can get those and bring them on Saturday.

Laura, is 9:00 am too early on Saturday? I can only stay until about noon so the earlier I can get started, the better.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I have plans on Saturday, and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it to help set up that day. If anything, it’d be mid-afternoon (maybe 2-3ish). Laura, will you be around the museum on Sunday, too? Or could I send my stuff with someone else on Saturday? Or drop it off midweek when I’m headed to my folks’ place?

Relevant: there is unfortunately no way I’ll be able to build a new mountain by this weekend. I’ve been drafted into work training this week, and it’s going to tie up my evenings. I can still do the plates I said I would, but it’ll have to be more simple landscaping than anything grandiose. I’ll mock it up with plastic track; we’ll just need to convert to conductive track on site. Then again, it doesn’t look like you guys are even planning on having all the track on baseplates, judging from the bluebrick layout… so should I even mess with landscaping plates?

Also, did we place that track order yet?! 😀

Tim

there is unfortunately no way I’ll be able to build a new mountain by this weekend. I’ve been drafted into work training this week, and it’s going to tie up my evenings. I can still do the plates I said I would, but it’ll have to be more simple landscaping than anything grandiose. I’ll mock it up with plastic track; we’ll just need to convert to conductive track on site. Then again, it doesn’t look like you guys are even planning on having all the track on baseplates, judging from the bluebrick layout… so should I even mess with landscaping plates?

One option instead of a mountain would be a few “hills” just high enough to screen the power controlers from the public view. Just an idea.

The track can (and probably should) be on baseplates, even though the BlueBrick does not show it on track. I think most of the track Laura had at Greenberg is already on 16×32 baseplates.

Laura
    Participant

Laura, is 9:00 am too early on Saturday? I can only stay until about noon so the earlier I can get started, the better.

9:00 will be fine, I plan on being there all day anyway.

I have plans on Saturday, and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it to help set up that day. If anything, it’d be mid-afternoon (maybe 2-3ish). Laura, will you be around the museum on Sunday, too? Or could I send my stuff with someone else on Saturday? Or drop it off midweek when I’m headed to my folks’ place?

I’ll be there all day Saturday if anyone can’t make it until the afternoon, otherwise I will be there most of the day Sunday.

One option instead of a mountain would be a few “hills” just high enough to screen the power controllers from the public view. Just an idea.

That’d work 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

One option instead of a mountain would be a few “hills” just high enough to screen the power controlers from the public view. Just an idea.

The track can (and probably should) be on baseplates, even though the BlueBrick does not show it on track. I think most of the track Laura had at Greenberg is already on 16×32 baseplates.

Mmmkay. I can probably do some hills – less aggressive than a mountain, and doesn’t have to be hollow / have clearance for train… we’ll see.

we really do need people to commit to some staffing time so that would be great.

Yeah, we do! So far, only Laura, Doug, and I have signed up for shifts. DOODLE, yinz! I can be flexible about which shifts I cover (I just marked in some possibilities, really), but if we only have 3 people to cover 7 days and 56 hours, that’s a lot of commitment from just a few folks…

Tim

So far, only Laura, Doug, and I have signed up for shifts.

My schedule has changed a bit and I can now cover the very first shift Friday morning. It has been added to the Doodle.

Dan Efran
    Participant

I signed up for two full Sundays (Dec 8, Dec 15). I’m not certain those are the shifts I’ll be available for, but it’s a decent guess. I’ll make changes if necessary as my schedule becomes clearer. I’m definitely NOT going to be around for the end-of-November weekend.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

So. I subscribed to a bunch of forum threads way back and I somehow missed this one. So I am just getting caught up here. Here’s Ben’s story:

After Greenberg, I had other things to catch up on, and then I left town for nearly a week. So rebuilding/modifying my layout was never considered as an option for this show (all my expansion plans, and there are many, are with an eye to 2014). I see Tim put my stuff in the layout (presumably my inner track would be totally stranded for this one, which is fine). I also saw that we want things as winterized as possible and I’m not sure how easily mine will winterize. I do also still have that big tree that was sort of free-floating if it’s needed. But basically my contribution would be virtually identical to Greenberg. I see space is tighter on this one though, I’d like to be part of the display, but I’m not gonna take it personally if I have to sit this one out.

Also my Horizon Express is still available. However, my main goal was to have it be the train in charge for one display, and I got that at Greenberg, so I can definitely defer to other trains for this one, of which I know there are many. Eventually my HE is gonna be scrapped for parts, but as of right now it’s still in its Greenberg state. But let me know cause I don’t wanna haul it down there if it’s not gonna be used.

I’ve also talked to Joe. He couldn’t make Greenberg teardown and so I have all his buildings in my house. So if you plan to use them, I’ll be the one bringing them down. Joe’s told me that, for reasons I’ll let him explain, he plans to have zero participation in either setup or monitoring (don’t worry, it’s not cause he hates us all and is leaving the LUG).

It looks like you’re covered for track this time around, but I’ll reiterate that I do have 40+ pieces of straight track.

I am leaving town again on Tuesday Nov 26th and not returning until Sunday Dec 1. So there’s zero chance I will be monitoring that weekend, since I’ll be some 250 miles away. The other two weekends I can do at least one shift, but I haven’t committed yet because I haven’t nailed down my schedule yet.

I haven’t seen any recent talk about this weekend doubling as the Q4 meeting, other than Tim’s other-thread proposal to postpone it to January, which I could get behind. I can come during the day Saturday the 23rd for setup but I have evening plans and I think I’d have to bail if there’s a meeting that runs to dinner time.

So to summarize the important questions:

1) Do you want my stuff in the display?
    2) Do you want my Horizon Express in the display?
    3) Do you want Joe’s stuff in the display?
    4) Do you want me to bring my straight track?
    5) Are we doing Q4 on Saturday?
    6) I can monitor the 2nd or 3rd weekends but not the first.

That’s all I got, I’m hanging up now.

Laura
    Participant

So to summarize the important questions:

1) Do you want my stuff in the display?
    2) Do you want my Horizon Express in the display?
    3) Do you want Joe’s stuff in the display?
    4) Do you want me to bring my straight track?
    5) Are we doing Q4 on Saturday?
    6) I can monitor the 2nd or 3rd weekends but not the first.

1) We’d love it!
    2) If you want to bring it you can, I have mine though so it won’t be absolutely necessary.
    3) If Joe doesn’t mine, of course!
    4) More straight track is always welcome, make sure you mark it somehow so it does not get mixed with others.
    5) I don’t think Josh can make it, so no meeting
    6) Sounds great! Sign up on doodle.

Thanks Ben, look forward to seeing you on Saturday!

Laura
    Participant

I signed up for two full Sundays (Dec 8, Dec 15). I’m not certain those are the shifts I’ll be available for, but it’s a decent guess. I’ll make changes if necessary as my schedule becomes clearer. I’m definitely NOT going to be around for the end-of-November weekend.

Whatever amount of time you can donate is appreciated. Thanks for signing up!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

That all works for me. I’ve been in touch with Joe, he apparently trusts me with his stuff.

I haven’t signed up on doodle cause I hate to commit to times and then have to change them, I’m still not sure which afternoons I’ll be available, I just know I’ll be able to work things out so I’m there for something. Are we doing tear-down right afterwards or is there some flexibility there too?

I’ll see you guys on Saturday, I’m shooting for being there around noonish to 3ish. Hopefully I’ll have a more relaxed setup than Greenberg, and I’ll be able to do things I didn’t have time for then, like put all the guys on I want to, and fix the stuff that breaks.

Tim

I haven’t seen any recent talk about this weekend doubling as the Q4 meeting, other than Tim’s other-thread proposal to postpone it to January, which I could get behind. I can come during the day Saturday the 23rd for setup but I have evening plans and I think I’d have to bail if there’s a meeting that runs to dinner time.

We’ve pretty much abandoned the idea of trying to squeeze in a meeting on Saturday. Too many variations in people’s schedule and too much going on setting up the display.

P.S. I would say bring your Horizon Express. We could always run two of them continguously.

Laura
    Participant

Alright, just to finalize some details about tomorrow…

• Set up will begin at 9:00AM in the Events Room at the trolley museum.
    • I will be available until 5pm, so if you can’t arrive ’til the afternoon it’s not a problem.
    • When you arrive you can go into the gift shop and ask the gentleman where to go. I’ll let him know what’s going on and where to send you, he’ll also be able to call me if necessary.
    • My cellphone # is 814-414-7298 if you need to contact me for any reason. The events room is like a Faraday cage so you won’t get through if I’m in there.
    • In case you can’t get through to me, call the museum # at 724-228-9256

Things we need to bring:
    1) Loose white brick (LUG brick would be preferable if that’s possible)
    2) Pine trees for the Christmas tree farm
    3) Track
    4) Road Base Plates
    5) Table Coverings
    6) Anything you’d committed to be displayed
    7) Anything else you want to display

Hope this answers any questions you might have. If there’s anything else let me know, otherwise I’ll look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

Doug
    Participant

I will be getting there as soon as I can, current goal: noon. I’m bringing my two houses, my church, all my trees, and cars. I’m going to try to MILS my houses today. I wanna contribute as much detail/landscaping as possible. Can we make sure we have that box of fences from the LUG brick? I have a use for it…

Tim

So how did the set up turn out today? When I left at 11:30 am, the tables were all covered, the North Pole area was looking goos, at least half of the track was laid out, and Laura and Josh were working on the town section.

Do we have any gaps that need to be filled? I am going to do two tree farm 32×32 baseplates. I also left four baseplates worth of town buildings and I can bring a fifth town building on Friday morning if needed. Just let me know. Thanks!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I had to leave around 3:30, by that time a lot was set up and Laura and Doug were working on snow. I forgot my camera, I told them to take a pic when it’s done and post it somewhere, since I won’t be back there for two weeks.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I worked with Laura for a few hours yesterday, and got something resembling a hill up in the corner behind Ben’s observation deck (BTW, staffers – watch out for the overhanging deck – it’s easy to bump with a shoulder!) Laura got the winter market village (set w/ carousel) built, and was working on some other details as well. I don’t think I’ll be back this weekend, but anyone who is there and wants to add some white to the top of my (currently mostly flat) hill is welcome to do so – I ran out of time last night, but there’s a big cardboard box of (random, unsorted, and probably only half useful) white and trans clear brick behind the display. (Have I fulfilled my parentheses quota for the day yet?)

Anyway, here are a few pics as it stood when I left last night.

Attachments:
    Tim

Wow, everything really came together well. It looks like there is still room on the backside of the row of Modular Buildings for another row of houses, or along the front of the dispay to the right of the Palace Cinema. I can add my houses in there first thing Friday morning. Great job everyone!

Doug
    Participant

It looks like there is still room on the backside of the row of Modular Buildings for another row of houses, or along the front of the dispay to the right of the Palace Cinema.

I’m also building a set of three of the rowhouses (from the Pet Shop set) in three different colors (sand blue, medium blue and blue) and would love to include them somewhere if there’s room. Here’s what I managed to get done yesterday on the project…

Oh, and did I mention that these houses are ALREADY MILS COMPATIBLE?!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Doug.
    Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar