Cranberry Library Summer Dispay 2016

Home Forums LUG discussions Cranberry Library Summer Dispay 2016

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’ve got plenty of gray road plates to use.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Tim wrote:
    I’ve got plenty of gray road plates to use.

Drat! My back/reading comprehension skills have failed me!

Tim’s been awfully quiet on this thread today, though…

Nick Chen
    Participant

I have the Porsche 911 GT set. We can use the finish line and winners circle.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Porsche-911-GT-Finish-Line-75912?fromListing=listing

Tim

if we do just a section of track with the start/finish line roughly centered (say on plate 17, or 16-17, or 16-18), the track could come in from offstage on plate 8, curve on 9 and 15, then curve again on 18 to 12 or 19 to 13, then exit on 14.

I would simplify this even further and just have us build part of the frontstretch (no curves). That would simplify things immensely.

I have enough black brick to build a frontstretch section of the racetrack. We would then need Grandstand sections, pit lane, garage area (underneath the Grandstands), perhaps a refreshment stand (also underneath), and an infield area (got to get a few drunken fans and RVs into this display somehow – think NASCAR).

I will work on getting the track section done this weekend and will post WIP pictures as soon as I can. Can we get a few people to commit to sections of Grandstands, infield, pit lane boxes, etc.? @solscud007, can you provide some racecars?

Nick Chen
    Participant

@timf yes I can provide plenty of race cars.

Pete
    Participant

I am pretty sure between Nick and I can provide all the cars needed. The garage at a race track is near the infield area not under the grandstand.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

If we have enough tires to stack them very high, I don’t think connecting them should be a problem…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I would simplify this even further and just have us build part of the frontstretch (no curves). That would simplify things immensely.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(ring) 😉

The garage at a race track is near the infield area not under the grandstand.

You tell ‘im, Petey!

Tom Frost
    Participant

I have most of the speed champions and the recent city race car sets including the octan F1 transporter from a few years ago. I also have most of the campers and camping trailers from the 80’s on up if we wanted them for the infield area. I’m in the North Hills so I would like to get in on this one if you guys can use it

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m in the North Hills so I would like to get in on this one if you guys can use it

Absolutely, dude! Worst case, if we have too many people / too much stuff to fit in the Cranberry Library’s case, we can still do at least one other library with a similar (but smaller) display – I really want to make that happen, but haven’t committed us since we haven’t had enough people express interest in building.

Tim

The garage at a race track is near the infield area not under the grandstand.

Remember “selective compression”. I’m not sure the display case will be big enough to do an entire separate garage area. That is why I was thinking to tuck the garage area under the Granstands. But if we can work it to be more realistic, I’m good with that.

It sounds like we’re pretty set on the racetrack idea. “I like this plan! I’m excited to be a part of it!”

Josh
    Keymaster

cloud or blimp to fill the vertical space of the display or are we just saying on the ground again?

talking just minifig scale tires?

no road plates in stock, but we have a full gallon bag of 1×2 black plate.

Pete
    Participant

A blimp would be cool, for those tv shots from above the track.

Nick Chen
    Participant

Nice Venkman quote @timf

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Nick Chen.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have a blimp/zeppelin from the Adventurers series http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=5956-1#T=S&O={} that I can contribute. Is the wooden framework for hanging the aircraft still in the display case?

Tim

Yes, I believe the wooden framework has remained in the case.

We can start installation anytime after Memorial Day weekend, so we can do prep work and preliminary installation during the Week. We should plan to have the final installation done on Saturday morning, June 4 before noon (the summer reading Kickoff starts at 12:00 noon that day). I have a scout event that morning starting at 11:00 am but we can get into the Library as early as 8:00 am, so my plan is to be there right at 8:00 am and be done by 10:00 ish.

Pete
    Participant

June 4 sounds good to me.

Tim

Here is the track section I’ve built. The is the equivalent of 6 baseplates. The display case will hold 7 wide but I think this is enough. I going to add a barrier between the main track and “pit lane” (the additional area to the one side of the track). We need to add pit boxes, crews, and equipment to pit lane, grandstands and a garage area, and an “infield” area. I can build some trees for the infield area just to add some greenery.

Should the infield go in front (by the main window) or be in the back? I’m thinking in the back so the track and cars are more prominent.

Is anyone tackling grandstands yet?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

A second picture of the track.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

I’ve created a Doodle to organize who is willing to build for the Display. Rather than coverage shifts, the Doodle contains selections for different build areas. Please visit the Doodle and sign up if you are willing to contribute to the display. I’ve signed myself up for track and infield at this point, but can probably contribute elsewhere if needed.

Doodle –> http://doodle.com/poll/uucs7e37f2evqx5k

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Josh gave me the Big Box O’ Tires last week at ICF, but I haven’t had a chance to dig through and play around with what’s in there just yet. I do think there are enough to make walls along the track in some fashion. Although that typically happens on curves, which we apparently don’t have on this course. 😉

I might be able to chip in on some other aspect. Do you want to add the Goodyear blimp to the Doodle? Or any other tangential details that might help fill vertical space or something?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Quick thought: could we put headlight bricks on the edges of Tim’s roads (since they’re SNOT n’at), then put flagpoles on the headlight studs to hold the tires? Or, some shorter parts (I doubt we need to stack more than 2-3 tires high…) Or, use Technic bricks and pins. What say ye, @hacim? #brainstorming

Micah Beideman
    Participant

oh, there’s all sorts of ways you could attach them. I think that would work fine, or you could just take the hubs out and put them on 2×2 round bricks.

Nick Chen
    Participant

I have the cars. I will also bring the Speed Champion racing stuff like the
    Porsche finish line and McLaren F1 pit. I also have Ferrari F1 transport
    trucks The new and old version. We can set that up as well if there is room.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Ferrari F1 transport
    trucks

I have the green octan F1 transport truck. It might be cool to have a variety if we can fit them

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar