Election Day Display!

Home Forums LUG discussions Election Day Display!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’ve gotten preliminary approval to take over a lockable room at a church in Hampton with a LEGO display on election day. The church serves as a polling station, so it will get lots of foot traffic on that day. The idea is that donations will be accepted to support the youth group at the church. Coincidentally, this church is where I met @zbauer. 🙂

I plan to use the folding 8 foot long banquet tables that are at the church rather than trucking in LUG tables. I have lots of MOC’s to display and Bob has proposed making a trial run of the incline before Monroeville but it would be great to have other LUG members participate. If anyone else would like to participate, let me know, I am going to start planning as soon as I get the dimensions of the room.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

The room is 21′ x 37′ and the banquet tables are mostly 8’x2.5′ but there are also 6’x2.5′ tables. I do not know the heights, but I am guessing they would be a standard 30″ tall.

As Bob pointed out to me, this week overlaps the displays at the trolley museum and is right before the one at Monroeville. So @rcgrier3406, what sizes would you forsee using for MOC’s that are not committed to be elsewhere?

Zach Bauer
    Participant

Coincidentally, this church is where I met @zbauer.

…And it all comes full circle. If I didn’t decide to crash that 8 year old Lego competition that Sunday morning with a 2’X3′ gothic Church that lit up inside, I would have never been introduced to to the famous Greg Schubert or this wonderful group of people!

Can’t wait to see pics of the display! #votelego

Bob Grier
    Participant

The room is 21′ x 37′ and the banquet tables are mostly 8’x2.5′ but there are also 6’x2.5′ tables. I do not know the heights, but I am guessing they would be a standard 30″ tall.

As Bob pointed out to me, this week overlaps the displays at the trolley museum and is right before the one at Monroeville. So @rcgrier3406, what sizes would you forsee using for MOC’s that are not committed to be elsewhere?

@greg
    , the Incline footprint is 60″ x 30″, so we could make either a 6 ft. or an 8 ft. table work.

If we do a Star Wars “ground battle” scene, that can easily fill another 8 ft. table. The vehicles I have already assembled include a Millenium Falcon (old version), (2) X-wings, AT-AT Imperial Walker, AT-ST small walker, Kilo Ren’s shuttle, Imperial shuttle, Tie fighter, Vader’s Tie fighter, and (2) Speeder bikes. I also have a bunch of Storm Troopers and Rebel Fighters.

Dan
    Participant

I also have a bunch of Storm Troopers

I’m guessing Storm Troopers aren’t fond of elections!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

we could make either a 6 ft. or an 8 ft. table work.

Is the entire incline display configure to be on a table top? Do you want the table to run parallel to the wall so people see it from the side or perpendicular so that people see it from the front?

Bob Grier
    Participant

Is the entire incline display configure to be on a table top? Do you want the table to run parallel to the wall so people see it from the side or perpendicular so that people see it from the front?

Table top is how I have it set up now. I think “from the side” would be a better view, so table parallel to the wall if that works for the layout.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I’m not sure where my guitars are, ( @timf maybe?)but those could be used if you want.

Will McDine
    Participant

This sounds like a great outreach idea.

Skipper Mike
    Participant

I’m intrigued with the idea and local to Hampton. Other than my Jungle Cruise that @timf currently has I don’t know that I have anything to contribute though.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I’m not sure where my guitars are, ( @timf maybe?)but those could be used if you want.

@tfdesigns
    , I have your guitars. Thanks, we’ll find a spot for them!!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I love the idea of having the guitars, the more variety, the better!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Other than my Jungle Cruise that @timf currently has I don’t know that I have anything to contribute though.

Perhaps you can get the Jungle Cruise back within the next month? Regardless, if you think of anything to display, it would be welcome.

The room is 21′ x 37′, there are two outlets on each of the long sides of the room and there is one outlet on each of the short side. So we can run trains, the incline and the two buildings that I have which use power.

For each LEGO item, we should have display cards with the name of the MOC and the name of the builder. Any suggestions on a format for printing them?

Dan
    Participant

Any suggestions on a format for printing them?

There should be plenty of bunting running along the top edge! Perhaps the names should be flanked by busts of Washington and Lincoln in profile.

I’m interested in sending something small. If so I’ll coordinate with @greg to get it there.

Tim

Perhaps you can get the Jungle Cruise back within the next month?

@skippermike @greg, I can bring the Jungle Cruise on Friday to the Trolley Museum set up. Would that work?

Skipper Mike
    Participant

@timf You can bring it and either Greg can take it then or you can leave it and I’ll pick it up when I staff in a couple weeks.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m interested in sending something small. If so I’ll coordinate with @greg to get it there.

@skippermike @greg, I can bring the Jungle Cruise on Friday to the Trolley Museum set up. Would that work?

Well, @rcgrier3406 is signed up for the trolley museum on Friday and Saturday. If the MOC’s in question make it to the trolley museum, perhaps he can bring them back with him

@skippemike, will you be around on November 4th or 5th to setup the Jungle Cruise?

Skipper Mike
    Participant

I think I can be, where is it and when will install be?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I plan to start setting up at Hampton Presbyterian Church, on Sunday, November 4th. I expect it will take many hours and I might have to return Monday evening if there is still more to do.

Skipper Mike
    Participant

I can be there to help for a bit it’s just up the road from me.

Bob Grier
    Participant

@skippermike
    @greg, I can bring the Jungle Cruise on Friday to the Trolley Museum set up. Would that work?

Well, @rcgrier3406 is signed up for the trolley museum on Friday and Saturday. If the MOC’s in question make it to the trolley museum, perhaps he can bring them back with him

Yup, I can bring the Jungle Cruise back with me from the Trolley Museum set-up on Friday.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Election Day Display recap – setup Nov 4 PM, tear down by Nov 10 PM

1. potential display list:
    – STAR WAS (Bob’s battle scene)
    – Pittsburgh (Mr. Rogers, bridge, the incline, PPG skating rink, Hartwood Acres)
    – winter buildings including Polar Express
    – Diagon Alley / London buildings
    – non-winter buildings (ex. boating store, McD’s, library rock concert)
    – Jungle Cruise (electrical outlet needed?)
    – Indiana Jones in the Well of Souls
    – Eiffel Tower, yellow castle
    – misc: guitars, QR code, LEGOLAND sign, LEGO mosaic, ice planet firetruck, snowman

2. non-lego items needed: LUG business cards, MOC cards, signs

3. groups other than voters who may see the display:
    – HPC employees and members
    – HPC preschool families
    – youth group families (Sunday night)
    – men’s Bible Study Fellowship (Tuesday night)

Skipper Mike
    Participant

No outlet needed for Jungle Cruise. It’s currently only a static display.

Bob Grier
    Participant

@skippermike, I did pick up the Jungle Cruise from Tim at the Trolley Museum on Saturday, and I have it at my house (in Gibsonia). I’ll bring it to set-up for the Election Day display, unless you want it sooner. There will be “some reassembly required” to set up, but nothing major.

@greg
    , I also picked up your McDonald’s from Tim. I can do the same with that, unless you want it sooner.

Finally, @tfdesigns gave me a guitar stand to use for one of his LEGO guitars. Greg, can you check to see if the church has another one we could use for the second guitar? I think having both of them upright on stands would look really good!!

Skipper Mike
    Participant

You can bring it for the election day display, it can be replanted there

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar