Christmas/winter display discussions

Home Forums LUG discussions Christmas/winter display discussions

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 150 total)
  • Author

Josh Edit:

This thread is (now) about creating a winter village. We have at least 2 options for displaying:

1 – Greenberg’s train and toy show – Nov 9-10 – monroeville (We need to give them advanced notice! paid!) http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/nov-9-10-greenberg-toy-and-train-show/ <- event details 2 - PA trolley museum - Looking for Laura to confirm ability and then dates/duration/size/etc. http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/christmas-display-pa-trolley-museum-santa-trolley/ <- event details 3 - ??? coming up with some other place to display, like a library or something.

deleted Andrew’s original statement:
    Hello all
    I know this is insanely early for most of you, but I wanted to get the word out about an event taking place this November and December.

My theater company has started an initiative in the Hill District, designed to provide Christmas presents to lower income families, and to children in shelters during the holiday season. In particular, we will be holding a large fundraiser toy drive at the Kaufmann Center on December 19, 2013. I would like it if some of the club came out to do a display to help liven up the event, and to help raise awareness to make this the best year for the toy drive yet. I know there is a lot of time between then and now, but I wanted to get everyone’s gears turning. Let’s make this the best Christmas ever for some children who need, no deserve it.

-Andrew

• This topic was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Josh. Reason: Josh edited it to reflect the event change
    • This topic was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Josh.
    • This topic was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Josh.
    Tim

Another idea would be a North Pole village scene.  We could incorporate the Christmas Village official sets and make a large town.  Maybe do a Santa’s castle and workshop also.

If we can develop a technique to scale up, the TLG’s Toy Soldier model might be interesting to try. You have also inspired me to try to create a “North Pole”. Looking over the support page, we might be able to get a large LEGO set to raffle off? Just a few ideas running through my head at the moment.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I like the North Pole idea!  I have several buildings that could be included, (but none of the official winter village sets).  Also, I once made a Santa’s sleigh with two reindeer that ran on a 9V train track.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Here is the sleigh:

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

Andrew:  yes, should be able to get something to raffle – I’m not sure how that works though, so I would hold off on saying IT WILL BE THERE, because I’m not even sure we know what set we could get.

I’m really liking the idea of a collaboration on a winter town/north pole.  Andrew, do you think we can make that happen?

I can definitely get on that, and I might have a few places to display in July and September, as a sneak preview, and as a place to collect donations before the drive really hits the high points in October-December. As for the raffle, I’m not counting anything until it happens. Should we split the topic for the North Pole build?

Tim

Here is a winter picture I came across on Flickr in the LEGO Trains group.  I like the “dusting” snow on the trees in the backgroound.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/technoandrew/8506869401/in/pool-legotrains/

Greg, I love that house.  Very Victorian; it definitely exudes “North Pole”.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Here is a winter picture I came across on Flickr in the LEGO Trains group. I like the “dusting” snow on the trees in the backgroound. http://www.flickr.com/photos/technoandrew/8506869401/in/pool-legotrains/ 

I like it, I wanted to see more photos of that setup.

Greg, I love that house. Very Victorian; it definitely exudes “North Pole”.

Thanks, its not just in LDD, I have several real ones.  Snow-covered roofs ALWAYS remind me of Christmas, even in March.  🙂  I would bet that among all of us, we have more than enough buildings to create a winter village.

Should we focus on the Dig into Reading for now?  I was thinking recently that I use the D and G of my LEGOLAND sign to spell DIG in foot high letters.  🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Tim wrote:
    Here is a winter picture I came across on Flickr in the LEGO Trains group. I like the “dusting” snow on the trees in the backgroound. http://www.flickr.com/photos/technoandrew/8506869401/in/pool-legotrains/

I like it, I wanted to see more photos of that setup. 

Oh snap, I found it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/technoandrew/sets/72157632852488761/with/8506869401/

Tim

Ok, I’ve been playing around with some concepts for the Christmas display.  I would like to do Santa’s Castle/Home/Workshop for my part of the display.  Since the Arctic is not a landmass, but instead made up of ice/icefloats, I’m envisioning a Mont Saint-Michel type set up with different parts of the display all on large icefloats.  Add in a Polar Express type train and use a dark blue cloth for the “water”.

Anyways, check out the attached concept sketch of a possible layout overview of Sant’as Workshop and House and a north pole village, a illustration of Santa’s Worshop and House, and a more detailed concept sketch of Santa’s House.  Let me know what you think.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I like the Santa’s House concept!  I started a white castle a few years ago and then lost interest, but parts are still intact.

Attachments:
    Tim

Greg, that’s a nice looking winter castle.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Thanks!  So Tim, what do you think about this design for the Christmas village:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-house-custom-built-display-/281075590812?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item417169269c&nma=true&si=QhPF8%252FPW3Q%252ByeOtrmxhmXieKT%252Bc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would love to build it and change the white second floor to tan and/or brown, keep some of the red, maybe make a gray first floor, make the roof white for snow and change the window panes to lattice.

Attachments:
    Tim

That is a really nice model, although the level of “sophistication” build-wise looks a bit dated.  We could certainly use this a a base model and then add more details and architectural elements like you suggested.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I don’t like how the shutters cover the vertical black lines, but I think the final product is going to need green somewhere.  I am open to any ideas you have.  This is looking like a summer project, but maybe we’ll even have it done before brickfest. 🙂

P.S. Tim, did you receive my email about TheBrickGuys?

Tim

I don’t know about having it done by Brickfest but it is definitely a long term project.  I want to leave plenty of time for planning and brick acquisition.  Between the Library Underground project and this one, my year is nicely booked, Lego-wise.  🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I found a peak that I made for the white castle, but did not have any vision for what the rest would look like.

Attachments:
    Tim

That looks like the top of a train station concourse to me.

Tim

Here is another inspiration picture for a winter village building.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiberium_blue/6634556923/in/photostream/

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Here is another inspiration picture for a winter village building. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiberium_blue/6634556923/in/photostream/

Great find – the model is fantastic … except for the color choice for the walls … and the name (where is the oak?)  I like how the creator used inverted clips to put snow on the black fence.  Also, it took me a while to realize that the gray stone wall was NOT gray “log pieces” but 1×2 “technic liftarms” that are  probably stacked with pins and axels.  There must be over 600 of those!  That’s 90 bucks right there … if you could even buy enough of them.

Something similar could be built (without the amazing wall) but this is a substantial building – what would be its purpose in the village?  Santa’s HQ?  Dorm for the elves?

Tim

Also, it took me a while to realize that the gray stone wall was NOT gray “log pieces” but 1×2 “technic liftarms” that are probably stacked with pins and axels. There must be over 600 of those! That’s 90 bucks right there … if you could even buy enough of them.

That technique of using the technic liftarms is that builders signature style.  He has several different buildings all using it.  I like it but it can be overdone.

Something similar could be built (without the amazing wall) but this is a substantial building – what would be its purpose in the village? Santa’s HQ? Dorm for the elves?

No idea.  Just posting it as an interesting winter MOC.  🙂

Tim

Here is another interesting winter MOC blogged yesterday on The Brothers Brick: http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/06/02/whistlebridge-pass/.  The builder did a really nice job on the snow on the various roofs and using trans clear cheese slopes for ice in the water.

Now that the Dig Into Reading display is complete, I’m going to turn my building attention to the December event.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

a really nice job on the snow on the various roofs

Snowy rooftops? Bah humbug.

Tim

Snowy rooftops? Bah humbug.

Actually, snowy rooftoops are quite miserly. There is no heat leaking through the roof so that conserves heating fuel. Very efficient and cost effective. 😀
    Reminder, we are now less than 6 months to the Christmas display on December 19.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar