Christmas/winter display discussions

Home Forums LUG discussions Christmas/winter display discussions

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

a wooly mammoth in ice

thanks for the suggestion

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greg, how many 32×32 baseplates are you planning on using for the North Pole Factory? I can build the factory building to accomodate either 3 baseplates or 4 baseplates in a row. Thanks.

I’ve got no plans on dimensions except for a ball lift that is 12 inches high. I have the mechanics worked out, I just need to encase it to ensure the balls don’t get away.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

Vunderbar! I have a few of those frosted rock pieces, but yours works well. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47847pb001R

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Santa’s castle

I could probably get this castle front back together and make sides for it. The roof was originally blue .. will all the North Pole buildings be white on top?

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

will all the North Pole buildings be white on top?

I guess that depends on the weather ;P

…front back…

head asplode.

between the two of you, you’re carrying this display right now…but, i’m being imbued…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

North Pole Express, take three … passengers cars that is. (The roofs are not secured in place because I need more clear panels to finish them.)

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Its a good thing I have tenure. 🙂 My son helped out by starting on a manger scene.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Gregory Schubert wrote:
    …front back…

head asplode.

Lulz.

Greg – you’re not shirking your responsibilities of training up the next generation of young minds just to play with Legos, are you?!

Tim

Greg, the castle looks great. The Alpine Village buildings will look really nice around it.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Do we want to create or order stickers for the North Pole Express? The commercially produced toy versions of this train have identifying stickers on the coal car and the passenger cars. I have to admit that I don’t currently know how to make or order suitable stickers but our PennLUG contacts could probably help with this.

Tim

I feel like we need an earlier planning meeting to coordinate efforts. Everyone has limited resources and we all need to prioritize whether we are working on buildings, vehicles, scenery, baseplates, etc. so we don’t have excesses in one area and fall short in another.

Greg, I working on a preliminary layout for the North Pole area. I should have it done today and will post it so we can see where we are. I like your idea of a “life size” cutout layout just to try to fit things together. I feel bad that I can not come on October 26 as I think a lot of planning will get done at that meeting. Of course, in the end, it will all fit together somehow. 🙂

Do we want to create or order stickers for the North Pole Express? The commercially produced toy versions of this train have identifying stickers on the coal car and the passenger cars. I have to admit that I don’t currently know how to make or order suitable stickers but our PennLUG contacts could probably help with this.

I think the PennLUG guys use either model railroad vinyl decals or wet transfer decals. There is a local hobby shop here in Cranberry that has a good selection of model railroad supplies. I will try to stop in there soon to see if they have any decals that we can use.

Rich Millich
    Participant

You’re considering (gasp) non-purist builds? I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you that creativity is at the helm and not absolute loyalty to the brick. 😉

Secondly, we may want to consider that many of our builders are building for double duty: for the Greenburg event and the winter display. This isn’t true of everybody though, so we can’t consider the Greenburg display to be a reliable template for the winter display.

Personally, I still want to do a baseplate’s worth of snowball fight. Seems easy enough, and fun. Maybe some ice cream cone tops for snowball piles, an ice fort made of a bent wall of 1 x 2 white bricks, lots of figs in white winter clothes, maybe one of them crying (because that ALWAYS happens…)

Now how do I make a minifig look like it’s throwing a snowball, and how do I make one look like getting hit? Something more spectacular than a white flower… Hmmmmm…

Josh
    Keymaster

I would think you could just buy a sheet of sticker paper from office depot or something and print out whatever you want on it. Just takes a good hand to cut it out if you can’t get a clear sheet or mind having a white rectangular border.

also, other random winter ideas:

• a christmas tree farm, with a bunch of cars leaving with trees shodily strapped to roof tops. (anyone have a huge supply of trees??)
    • lowell sphere snowmen.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

lowell sphere snowmen.

close enough for short notice?

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

lowell sphere snowmen.

Can you bring this saturday? I think we can make this a construction site, as if the town folk are building it.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Gregory Schubert wrote:
    Josh wrote:
    lowell sphere snowmen.

Can you bring this saturday? I think we can make this a construction site, as if the town folk are building it.

My son won a winter village post office with this entry in the stamp design contest. He even took the photo himself. 🙂

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Then there is this snow sculpture that I was planning to include:

Brickfair 2009 281 snow sculpture

But what about the frozen mammoth, the tauntaun etc. Is the mountain building project still going to happen?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

But what about the frozen mammoth, the tauntaun etc. Is the mountain building project still going to happen?

YES. This NEEDS to happen.

I have a good bit of dark gray slopes left from my over-buying for the DIG build, so with some white for snow-capped peaks and some clear / trans blue for the ice portals, we can probably do some things on Saturday. Oh yeah, and 22 boxes of unsorted brick… wait, can we use white doors for our snow-capped mountain?!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Tim

… wait, can we use white doors for our snow-capped mountain?!

If you can find a way to do that, it would be an AWESOME NPU (new part usage)!

Josh
    Keymaster

Then there is this snow sculpture that I was planning to include:

Brickfair 2009 281 snow sculpture

awesome on the stamp winning! and yes to the above!

also oooooo….a squirrel hill menorah minivan….

Greg Schubert
    Participant

can we use white doors for our snow-capped mountain?!

An entire snow mountain of white doors! We just need to build a tunnel for the train and pour a few boxes of doors over it. Saves hours of building.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Gregory Schubert wrote:

YES. This NEEDS to happen.

So could any of the DIG vignettes be incorporated into the mountain? I just dismantled the dragon chamber walls but the dragon and the cave entrance are still intact. 😉

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

So could any of the DIG vignettes be incorporated into the mountain? I just dismantled the dragon chamber walls but the dragon and the cave entrance are still intact.

YES. I mean, my DIG is 3 baseplates, but could easily enough be built upon to create a mountain… shall I bring it? How big is this mountain going to be? Alternately, while my Father Time can’t really be broken down into something smaller, could we take certain portions (Gringotts vaults, mini-Khazad-Dum, dog burying bones, etc.) and scatter them in little caves throughout the mountain? Integrating stuff that’s already built, so long as it doesn’t end up taking forever, is a good way to fill display space. Plus, everyone loves Easter eggs!

Josh
    Keymaster

I had actually planned to reuse my dig display in the mountain…currently, I’m thinking we need a mountain on both sides of the table. I’ll draft something up bluebrick for what I’m suggesting we aim for saturday.

to ben’s point earlier – I’m thinking about changing the table arrangement to leave room for people to get through without going under the table.

greg, do you have the new winter sets?
    http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Village-Market-10235
    http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Village-Cottage-10229

I have both in the box, but would be happy for someone to build them saturday to include in the display. also got that free included winter set.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

greg, do you have the new winter sets?

No I do not have any of the LEGO designed winter sets to contribute. Mine are all MOC’s.

If anyone is motivated to start a building from scratch today, below is the house where the main character (a boy) lives in the Polar Express movie. You never see the outside of the boy’s house in the book.

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar