Formal LUG Trading Events

Home Forums LUG discussions BUY / SELL / TRADE! Formal LUG Trading Events

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rich Millich
    Participant

We may need to organize a formal trade event LUGwide. This may kickstart trading, whuch we don’t seem to do, and generate more social activities that make this more of a club.

Also, trade should be a formal section of every quarterly meeting much like redemption. Right now, so far, centralizing large numbers of members only with even a small amount of time happens only at quarterlies like this.

Thus, I feel that trade should be emphasized at quarterlies until we both organize internal trade events on par with external events and/or make better use of this thread.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Rich Millich.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

So anyway, one idea I had was a LUG-only closed bricklink store. You can keep an active store closed to anyone who does not know the password. People could both add part to inventory, and add their name in the notes and they could add parts to the wishlist and, once again, put their name in the notes identifying who wants the parts.

PennLUG has a swap method. However, they recently restricted access to the page on their forum [http://pennlug.forum-motion.com/t1402-lego-parts-swap#10814] which describes their swap process, so I will do the best to describe this from memory.

In their system, each person who wants to swap adds bundles of whatever you have in increments of a dollar to a swap box. For example, 50 pink plates that the owner deems to be worth a total of one dollar are place in one bag and added to the swap box.

Then the owner get credit for adding the $1 bag … this is where it gets fuzzy to me. It only makes sense that I get credit after my bag is selected by someone else in the swap, because unless someone else is willing to take your bag, it has no value.

Once I get credit, then I get to choose a bag from the swap box. The problem is, what if everyone is adding parts that no one wants? I am skeptical about this whole process.

Dan
    Participant

I think we could just bring a box with loose bricks for trade. Easiest in my opinion.

Will McDine
    Participant

This Is an excellent Idea. I have a decent amount of parts that I would consider trading for more desirable parts.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I think we could just bring a box with loose bricks for trade. Easiest in my opinion.

Easiest, but hardest. If everybody just brings random stuff and everybody has to paw through each other’s box to see if there are any goodies they want, that’s a lot of time/energy on site. As compared to Greg’s idea with the BL store, where it’s energy spent in advance, and a quick and painless shopping experience… hard to say what’s best, but I personally get frustrated quickly with PaB redemption from LUG inventory, or pawing through the tables/bins the sellers have at PBF or BrickFair… or with feeling CMF bags, say. I can do it, but the cost-benefit ratio of the time it takes to find what I want isn’t always productive for me. But that’s just, like, my opinion, man…

Rich Millich
    Participant

Sort it first, I’d think. Makes it easier to go through. That would have a parts draft kind of feel.

I’ve started a Q4 Trading Thread for those who want to trade at the meeting. Gotta start somewhere!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar