Hello everyone

Home Forums Introductions Hello everyone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kent Stahlman
    Participant

Hi, my name is Kent and I am originally from Washington but currently reside in Virginia Beach, Va due to my job (I’m in the Navy so it is hard to get stationed in Western PA due to the lack of oceans in the region). I found the Steel City LUG Facebook page through Matt’s Facebook and immediately began following the group. I know I am outside of the normal geographical region for this group but hopefully you will find it in your hearts to forgive me for that. I won’t be able to attend meetings but I would still like to be able to contribute anything I can through this website. My favorite theme is The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings. I came out of the dark ages within the last year but have acquired most of the sets in this theme. I am slowly acquiring bricks in hopes of MOCing the missing Minas Tirith and expanding The Council of Elrond into a larger scale Rivendell. I purchased the instructions for the Golden Hall of Edoras MOC and have most of the required pieces so I hope to build that in the near future. Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself. I look forward to interacting with all of you and maybe someday getting to meet some of you.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Kent, its true that joining our group is geographically challenging but there are LUG’s closer to you, like RichLUG. Also there is a big LEGO show in Northern Virginia called BrickFest around the first week of August. If you can get away from the base that weekend, you should really consider going.

Please post an image of the Golden Hall that you want to build sometime.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Also there is a big LEGO show in Northern Virginia called BrickFest around the first week of August.

actually it’s called BrickFair 😉
    http://www.brickfair.com/

Tim

there are LUG’s closer to you, like RichLUG.

Kent, I used to live in Richmond and was a member of RichLUG, so I am familiar with participating long distance. Even closer to you is HardLUG (www.hardlug.com). They meet at the Children’s Museum of Virginia in Portsmouth. I know that they have several active duty military in their group. As Greg also mentioned, BrickFair in late July-early August is a great Lego convention to go to if you can get away from work for a few days.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

actually it’s called BrickFair

I still think the Rams are in LA.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Greg Schubert wrote:
    Also there is a big LEGO show in Northern Virginia called BrickFest around the first week of August.

actually it’s called BrickFair
    http://www.brickfair.com/

Greg, you make me smile.

Kent, its true that joining our group is geographically challenging but there are LUG’s closer to you, like RichLUG.

Yeah, but see, I *know* this guy. We go way back. Kent, I do recommend checking out RichLUG and HardLUG as per Tim and Greg’s suggestions, as you’ll likely have more opportunity to actively participate with them, but you can totally still be in our group – our membership radius already extends as far as Ft. Collins, CO, as former SCLUG All Star @dc221803 moved there a year or so ago to teach at CSU, but retains honorary membership, has come back to visit, etc. It’s not like sports, where playing for two teams in the same league is frowned upon.

I am slowly acquiring bricks in hopes of MOCing the missing Minas Tirith and expanding The Council of Elrond into a larger scale Rivendell. I purchased the instructions for the Golden Hall of Edoras MOC

Solid goals. This in no way is meant to discourage you – you should totally take your own crack at ’em – but have you seen these:

Minas Tirith (or, this one on LEGO Ideas, which is a pretty solid attempt to make it cool, but also affordable and 12-year-old friendly, and was just the other day “not approved”, but that’s probably because they already have the license and plan to eventually release a set…)

Rivendell

Helm’s Deep

Obviously, some people have a LOT of resources (money and time).

Kent Stahlman
    Participant

I have heard of HardLUG and I follow them on Facebook, unfortunately their website is very lacking. As far as I can tell they don’t have Forums or any way of communicating with the group on there. That is one of the things that I really like about this group. It seems like there are a lot of very active members (that and some of the MOCs of Pittsburgh are what really drew me into this group). If I get a chance to check out on of HardLUG’s meetings then maybe I can find out some more information from the members and find it more inviting. I hadn’t heard of RichLUG but I will definitely have to check them out.

Matt, I have seen all of those except for the completed Helms Deep. The Rivendell and Helms Deep are both amazing. I don’t know if I would be able to come close to building something like that but it gives me something to work towards. That is a huge financial commitment not to mention the amount of time actually building something of that scale. For now I will continue to acquire bricks that may be of use in a MOC and when I get some free time I will see what scale might be possible haha

Thank you all for the recommendations.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

If you’re interested in showing up at BrickFairVA, we’ve started a thread on it here:

BrickFairVA 2015

Tim

FYI, both RichLUG and HardLUG communicate primarily through Yahoo Groups.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar