Hi from North Side

Home Forums Introductions Hi from North Side

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

Hi I’m Krista from Observatory Hill on the North Side. I’ve been building since the 80s. I really like the old pirates, castle, and space sets, but some of the new stuff has been pretty awesome too. I’ve really been focusing on restoring old sets I come across. My collection continues to grow, but here’s the Brickset if you’re interested: http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-knb112

My husband and I have also been fortunate enough to visit Legoland in both Florida and California, which was pretty cool.

Looking forward to many brick discussions. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Welcome Krista! Mostly, we are building our own ideas and not using instructions these days, but most of us do have an appreciation for the older sets.

On the right side of the webpage are “Group links” where you can find some bricklink stores of LUG members. LUG members might have things you need, however, speaking for myself at least, I have not taken the time to upload much of what I have to store inventory.

Josh
    Keymaster

Welcome, Krista! Glad to see someone maintaining the central geography of the LUG rather than being from the North. Man, those guys bug me.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

from the North. Man, those guys bug me.

Seconded.

I mean, if this were Westeros, I’d be ok with the Northmen, but alas, it is not.

Oh yeah, hi Krista!

Krista K

Hi Greg, thanks for the info. I’m very familiar with BrickLink, but it’s always nice to support locally. I’m just an overall fan of all things Lego, so I’m always impressed at the creative things that people come up with. I look forward to seeing some of your builds.

Hi Josh and Matt, it’s always great to meet some new Pittsburghers. I’ll admit, as a newbie to LUG and all the various AFOL sites, it took some searching to find the group for Pittsburgh so it’s not very clear where to find the nearest group.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’ll admit, as a newbie to LUG and all the various AFOL sites, it took some searching to find the group for Pittsburgh so it’s not very clear where to find the nearest group.

Wait, are you saying it was HARD to find our site? If so, we need to re-think our branding & keywords, @JoshHall!

Seriously, Krista, we’d like to hear details about how you went about looking for a LUG. I just punched “Pittsburgh LEGO group” into Google, and this site was the first hit (our Facebook was the fourth), so that seems straightforward enough… but if you used different keywords and we didn’t turn up immediately, let us know so we can fix that! Are you saying you were searching on LEGO related sites with lists of LUGs?

Krista K

Matt, it was more knowing what terms to search for initially. I had seen you all at KidsFest back in 2012, but I couldn’t remember the name of your group.

I started with “adult lego fan” and came across a bunch of AFOL sites, which took me to LUGNET. From there, I found the LUGNET map, but it didn’t include this group. I tried the LUGFINDER, but that wasn’t working. So I then I just did a Google search for LUG and Pittsburgh. For newbies, it’s just not knowing the correct terminology, so it takes some trial and error to search to find it.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Fair enough.

The LUGNET map seems outdated to me – doesn’t have OKILUG (Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana – basically the greater Cincinnati area) either. We should contact them to see what’s up there.

Is this what you mean by LUGFINDER?

At any rate, we’re glad you didn’t give up the search!

Krista K

Yes, that would be it. Glad to have finally found it too!

Pete
    Participant

Hi Krista

Tim

Hi Krista and welcome. Glad to have another Northside person onboard. We don’t let those Southsiders (Josh) or City Dwellers (Matt) badmouth the golden luster and prestige of living north of the Allegheny. 😀

Greg Schubert
    Participant

City Dwellers

That is a nice euphemism.

Krista K

Hi Pete and Tim. Nice to meet you both. 🙂

Pete
    Participant

Hi Krista and welcome. Glad to have another Northside person onboard. We don’t let those Southsiders (Josh) or City Dwellers (Matt) badmouth the golden luster and prestige of living north of the Allegheny. :-D

Southside is the best side.

Paula
    Participant

Hi Krista! I love your picture! (South Hills rules! North Hills drools!)

Duncan
    Participant

Welcome Krista. Nice collection.

Krista K

Hi Paula. Thanks, we had a lot of fun at KidsFest last time it was in town.

Hi Duncan. Thanks. I keep adding to it. I have quite a few more sets I need to add, so it keeps growing.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Krista K.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Dan Walker of this group knows quite a lot about classic sets, and he’s into much the same range of building you are and the history behind it. (Just step back a few feet before you mention Monorail. 😉 )

We have a pretty broad range of people here. Set builders, collaborators, MOCers, trainheads, Spacers, robot builders, and we even have a couple of folks who just love sorting. We got a fire truck / EMS builder, traders, architecture builders… Man, we’ve almost got it all! So much to explore in what we alliindividually bring.

Enjoy the company, and come build with us!

Krista K

Rich, thanks for the wonderful welcome and great info. I’ll have to connect with Dan at some point to learn more. I’ll admit, the Monorail is my unicorn at the moment. I’ll get it one day. 🙂

Rich Millich
    Participant

Dan has quite the monorail collection, as that’s his favorite thing. He’s also open to having others build MOCs of custom monorail trains. I’ll eventually be building one for my United Earth Fleet, bullet train style, using parts I get from him in trade.

So as for monorail being your unicorn, I think Dan in definitely your Go To Guy in the LUG. He can help you.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Dan is definitely your Go To Guy in the LUG. He can help you.

In the same way that a dealer helps a crack addict…

OK, fine, more like an enabler than a dealer, because he’ll never sell you any of his track!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@knb112

unicorn sale: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/4991566521.html

its on Pittsburgh craigslist but the set is in Florida ???

Krista K

@greg

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll be sure to check it out. The unicorn may be coming home. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Two thoughts on this

1) why is someone from Florida advertising on Pgh craigslist
    2) if it is legit, does it have the part of the monorail that runs on the track?

You may want to print out the parts list for this set from bricklink and see if the important parts are there. Dan is our local expert on monorails, especially pricing, so it would be good to talk to him. I have no idea if this is a competitive price or whether the set is complete.

Tim

The listing has been deleted by the author. Hmmm.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar