how to secure plexiglass – ideas needed

Home Forums LUG discussions how to secure plexiglass – ideas needed

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

For those of you who saw the demo of the display tables Saturday, we noted a desire to secure the panels of plexiglass to one another. PennLUG does this with binder clips. It’s not pretty, but it works.

Pete did some recon work at Staples and found these plastic strips to hold reports together. His idea was to glue 2 together back to back and fit them in between the panels.

I’m also thinking maybe we just cut those up into 3 or 4 inch sections and just place them horizontally at the top of the joint of the panels, just like the binder clip solution.

I’m wondering if someone else has another material in mind or can come up with another creative solution to add more stability to the sneezeguard.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Those plastic strips could work, but I’d prefer either a solid, uninterrupted border across the top of all the plexiglass, or a transparent clear version so it doesn’t distract from the viewing of the display (the latter being the best option, imho – minimal obstruction of the view.)

Josh
    Keymaster

I’m also a big proponent of packing tape. Could just seal the cracks that way…with the torn edges below the table skirt.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Did you guys decide how to attach them to the tables already? Is the plan to use them at Greenberg or will we have stanchions? I’m guessing there won’t be stanchions, since there weren’t last year, and it looks from the map like there isn’t space to spare for them.

Jonathan
    Participant

Yeah how do they attach to the table? Would they not stand alone if they were attached to the table?

Josh
    Keymaster

clamped to the table. They’re 16″ tall and 24″ wide, so they give a bit when you pull on them from the top. Also not a perfect straight line at the top without attaching them somehow.

Josh
    Keymaster

if you didn’t notice, that first picture I posted has 3 sheets installed.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

we noted a desire to secure the panels of plexiglass to one another

What is the thickness of the plexiglass? I feel like I have seen a clear (non-LEGO) widget, shaped like a really skinny H, that joins flat pieces together at the edges.

I think a similar widget could be made out of wood in a wood shop; and a top railing could be made of precisely routed wood, but these parts would not be clear and might be too brittle.

I think a display building expert would be the person to talk to.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

How about these?

http://www.industrialsheet.com/pages/Joiners.htm

Some of these joiners also solve the problem of the corners.

Josh
    Keymaster

I Think I have the same “widget” in mind, but I can’t find anything online that would match…

I think you’re on to something with that joiner link… the sheets are 1/16th of an inch, or .060″

I’m only seeing a U joint so far on that site…

“display building expert”? I think most people doing displays either have permanent joins, a rigid frame, or a single sheet cut to size…I could be wrong though, let me know if you can think of something else.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=37217&catid=610

This page describes 2-way and 3-way joiners. They come in 8 foot lengths but we could cut 4 inch segments from them. The description says that it holds “butt ends together”, I’m not trying to be funny, I think we need to get the right terminology to find the solution which is probably already out there.

As for display experts, my brother used to create displays for a museum in Harrisburg and he is now an architect. I just emailed him. But you are right, it was a children’s museum with interactive exhibits and they tried to build most things to be indestructible, but he would know what company or catalog to check out.

Josh
    Keymaster
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

now you’re talkin’!

Josh
    Keymaster

filled my cart with the H connectors and some corner connectors…total came to $27…seems reasonable enough…but then $20 shipping…I emailed them…no way that’s actually shipping costs…

test
    Participant

Office topic, but nice tablecloths! They look good!

Josh
    Keymaster

They do, Susie! Thank you for the leg work!

So, do we also want some J connectors to cover the top butt joint, so corners are not exposed? Do we want a nice curved J joint across the entire top of the display? Or do we just want to get the H joints and go from there? I’d hate to pay shipping for J joints alone…

http://displayproductsonline.com/versagrips/1-versa-grip-j-channel.html

Pete
    Participant

I would think having the j connector at the top would also help stiffen the plexi.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Are those all transparent? White? Hard to tell… but yea, something along those lines would probably do the trick nicely.

Josh
    Keymaster

order arrived today. PERFECT! Thanks, Greg, for getting us on the right path!

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

“I love it when a plan comes together.”

Attachments:
    Pete
    Participant

“I ain’t flying Hannibal!”

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar