ideas for plexi, tables, and skirts

Home Forums LUG discussions ideas for plexi, tables, and skirts

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Instead of putting it all in a lessons learned from greenberg, let’s have a discussion about what we need, what we learned, and some ideas for improvement.

We did demo a solution with velcro on 4 legs and a strip of velcro on the under side of the table. It worked pretty well, as long as the legs were vertical. If they were horizontal, they rolled. I was able to carry the table up the stairs from the basement without them dropping and without me trying to pay attention to how I carried it. That will keep all the legs efficiently stored in a stack of tables and we’d also not have to count legs. The velcro strip was $7 for 30 feet, if that helps measure solutions.

There was some discussion that the hot glued velcro on the plexi was coming off when we tore down. I’m not sure if it was just a quality problem (how well we glued the velcro on) or not. I’ll have to check a few pieces, since there were at least 4 or 5 of us doing the hot glue. I know I wasn’t the best. If you have a better idea for adhesives, let me know.

We need some windows for displays, if anyone has a connection with coupons, etc.

We’ll need to make sure the skirts are washed after every few shows.

Let me know what other issues we saw or see with our use of the tables. Overall, I think they’re awesome. Still need a “middle” table so that we can hang the banner high. The sign didn’t do well in front of the skirt.

Dan
    Participant

We should see about stanchions and a velvet rope (like at the movies) to block off access to the “club area” in the middle of the display when our layout is in a “U” shape. Had a few kids wanting to run in that way.

Dan
    Participant

Also I vote we invest in LUG chairs!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

There was some discussion that the hot glued velcro on the plexi was coming off when we tore down. I’m not sure if it was just a quality problem (how well we glued the velcro on) or not. I’ll have to check a few pieces, since there were at least 4 or 5 of us doing the hot glue. I know I wasn’t the best. If you have a better idea for adhesives, let me know.

Hot glue is not known for being awesome. Susie mentioned Gorilla Glue, and that’d probably do the trick, esp. if we sanded the Lexan a bit to rough it up before gluing. Laura said contact cement, which also might work. Shoe Goo might be another thing to try. Need to bond to the Lexan (plastic), not so much worried about the velcro…

We need some windows for displays, if anyone has a connection with coupons, etc.

What do you mean? LEGO brick windows?

Still need a “middle” table so that we can hang the banner high.

…what? Are we going to attach poles to the corners or something?

Other comments:

– CHAIRS. Thanks to Evan for bringing them. Although we kinda broke his. We should just buy a half dozen decent camp chairs – or at least remember to bring ones we already own in the future. (Mine are in bad shape, and need to be replaced probably…)

– actually, that’s all I got right now…

Josh
    Keymaster

good call on the rope thing. I think I actually had rope there, but never put it out. Something like a velvet rope would be nice…or a rail bridge! 😛

Sorry, meant Windex / window cleaner.

yep, like pennlug does with their sign.

We’ve got a bunch of 2×4 bricks…yinz can brick build some chairs and benches. heh. but yeah, chairs sound like a valid lug expense, especially for meets at people’s houses.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

We should see about stanchions and a velvet rope (like at the movies) to block off access to the “club area” in the middle of the display when our layout is in a “U” shape. Had a few kids wanting to run in that way.

I concur, but keep in mind the Santa HQ was open on that side, which invited people to step in and look inside… fine line, says I.

Josh
    Keymaster

could have just put the rope on the inside corners.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Right. But some of us were sitting between those two tables, too – it got crowded…

Josh
    Keymaster

Pete found this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Household-Essentials-Christmas-Tree-Bag-with-Green-Trim-6032/203169587?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203169587-_-N

not sure if it’s strong enough or not…those dimensions in the specifications are whack.

test
    Participant

Pete found this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Household-Essentials-Christmas-Tree-Bag-with-Green-Trim-6032/203169587?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203169587-_-N

not sure if it’s strong enough or not…those dimensions in the specifications are whack.

I had that Christmas tree bag and it’s not all that strong. Plus it’s really really ungainly and hard to maneuver. Two smaller bags might be better. Even if you want to go on the cheap, Glad makes ForceFlex trash bags and you could fit a ton in the lawn and leaf/large trash can size. (See here.)

I do like the idea of securing/storing the legs in the tables, though, like you’d mentioned. That way, if someone is doing a display like Tim is this weekend and only needs a few tables, he can grab what he needs without rooting through the legs.

Dan
    Participant

I concur, but keep in mind the Santa HQ was open on that side, which invited people to step in and look inside… fine line, says I.

Right. But some of us were sitting between those two tables, too – it got crowded…

First it was open and inviting, then suddenly people were sitting there? Matlock would have a field day with a story this full of holes!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

First it was open and inviting, then suddenly people were sitting there?

Yes, because as the day wore on, more and more LUG members showed up, and we ran out of space inside the display, and started spilling out. It makes perfect sense, and you know it. Still, nice Matlock.

Josh
    Keymaster

just to keep track of my ideas:

I heard concern about the velcro strips not being secured tightly enough to the plexi to withstand tearing off the skirting. This may be due to the use of hot glue, or even just the application of the glue. I know I skimped at first. I have not revisited those pieces at all. ideas and someone willing to take a look at that are welcome.

I also think I came up with a nice idea for table legs. if we screwed four ~6 inch dowel rods to the inside of the table, we’d be able to put the lugs on those rods and I think they’d hold much better than an idea of using velcro or something to strap them to the underside of the table. I do think that keeping the legs with the tables is our best bet for efficiency and simplicity.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m throwing out this idea about the display tables. What if, on the public side of the display tables, the plexiglass and the table skirt, there was a lower shelf, that ran continuously around the display. It would be about ten inches wide with road plates and some simple cars. This would allow kids who have the urge to “play with legos” to run the cars around on this lower shelf outside of the official display. The LUG would use some ingenious way to attach this “low road” to the table legs to avoid having to build separate small tables.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I got one word for you guys: hot tub.

Seriously, imagine this scene with a big ol’ hot tub in the middle instead, we would literally be the coolest LUG in the history of the universe:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8994372@N04/15765464482/in/set-72157649230202401

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I got one word for you guys: hot tub.
    Seriously, imagine this scene with a big ol’ hot tub in the middle instead

That would be pretty awesome. But, “hot tub” is two words…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar