LEGO Night at Little City Coffee (Monongahela)

Home Forums LUG discussions LEGO Night at Little City Coffee (Monongahela)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Hey folks, my brother works at a coffee shop in Mon City (dahn the Mon Valley n’at), and they would love us to do a LEGO night. They do regular game nights and open mics on Friday nights, so their clientele are used to having something fun and cool happening on Fridays. We’re talking about September 9 or 23, and I figured we could pretty much just bring our random brick bins and do Skyscraper, maybe Strongest Bridge, and / or free build.

Would anyone be interested in helping me run it? I doubt we’d *need* more than 1-2 people, but it’d still be a fun evening to hang out with some good people and some ABS. They said they could donate a percentage of the evening’s sales to the LUG as thanks for us doing the event – I’m not counting on making bank for doing it, but if we get a little bit to put towards the LUG’s savings, that’s gravy on top of what I expect to be an easy and entertaining event.

Let me know if you want in, and if the date (9/9 vs 9/23) influences your decision! If we go for the 9th, we need to confirm that ASAP so we and Little City can promote it… if we do the 23rd, we have a bit more time but would still want to confirm things soonish.

Pete
    Participant

I could do the 9th not sure about the 23rd yet.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Anyone else interested? I think we were leaning toward the 23rd, but if @pete wants to be there and the 9th works better, we can probably do that…

Pete
    Participant

If they want us there the 23rd i will be there.

Shaun
    Participant

I’d drive 10 minutes
    So I could do either date
    After 5 o’clock

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

The official word
    Is September Twenty-third
    Or so I have heard

Rich Millich
    Participant

Friday Night build, eh? I’m interested, if I can get transport.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Richard, my good man
    Can you get across the Mon?
    I could drive from there

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

It is on Facebook,
    thus it is now set in stone;
    So let it be done.

Tower or the bridge?
    Let us discuss tomorrow;
    Perhaps we do both…?!?

Dan
    Participant

Any particular time?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Any particular time?

O Texas Ranger
    Your link-clicking skills doth leave
    much to be desired

Per the Facebook page
    Six to ten at the moment
    unless we are late

Dan
    Participant

Your link-clicking skills doth leave
    much to be desired

Forums for planning
    Events we are attending
    Yet you broke this rule

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Forums for planning
    Events we are attending
    Yet you broke this rule

Although these rules are
    set in stone, they are more like
    guidelines, anyway

Little City folk
    As owners of the venue
    Set the time, not I

They had a desire
    To get the word out early
    So as to draw crowds

They also mentioned
    We could adjust as needed
    So what do we need?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Shaun, Pete, and myself
    Are going to this shindig;
    Rich and Dan, maybe?

Two weeks hence, it is;
    Fourteen have RSVPed
    On sacred Facebook

Dan
    Participant

Definite maybe
    Though I might as well say “yes”
    I shall arrive late

Verily I say
    Transport, likewise, I offer

@zaximillian

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Friday next, the day
    Of our great adventure to
    Monongahela

My comrades, my plan
    Is to arrive by six-ish
    What time for you all?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Too weird of a week
    for me to post in haiku;
    my brain hurts too much.

I plan to arrive at Little City by 6, good Lord willin’ an’ the creek don’t rise. Meaning, “just so long as I can get out the door of my office by 5, and the traffic isn’t ridiculous.” I know not everyone can get there that early, so just arrive when you can. We’ll prob do free build and such for the first hour or so anyway.

Little City Coffee is right on Main St. It’s a little city, you won’t get lost.

My phone number is 412 235 8656, should you need anything.

I have:
    – play brick
    – separators
    – baseplates
    – Creationary

If you have any LEGO games you want to bring, go for it! I figure set Creationary up at a side table, request that people keep the bricks for that game on that table, and let it be. Or… just don’t use it. I dunno. We’ll see how things play out.

PS – my brother says this about dinner options: “I believe we will have mini pizzas (hopefully) and some kind of lunch sandwich. There’s also Two and a Fry, Subway, Sheetz, McDonald’s if necessary…”

Shaun
    Participant

I have no play brick.
    My arrival? Five thirty.
    Delicious coffee.

Pete
    Participant

I will be leaving work around 4:30. It should take me around 45 to an hour to get there maybe less.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I lied. I forgot to grab Creationary. Oh, well.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

The event went fairly well, once we got our bearings and figured out how to operate in a small space with unusual tables, and got those pesky youths to move their Cards Against Humanity game away from the tables which Little City had specifically set up for our use.

Thanks to those who came to help! LCC set out a tip jar on our behalf, and donated a portion of their register to us at the end of the night as well, which I plan to put into the LUG coffers. They also gave me a few pre-punched frequent shopper cards, so for @geniac or anyone else who thinks they’ll be down that way, if you want a free drink next time let me know and I’ll get you a card.

We discussed the possibility of making this a recurring thing – perhaps quarterly, or semi-annually (any more, and it might be unsustainable on our end, and wear out the excitement factor for their customer base.) I figure we’ll consider a date after the holidays, sometime during our winter doldrums. Details if and when the negotiations heat up for that.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The event went fairly well

@timf
    , what was that quote that we always hear about evidence?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

what was that quote that we always hear about evidence?

It’s always in the banana stand…?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Folks, Little City has asked if we’d like to do another LEGO night – perhaps in May. They’ve suggested a few changes:

– Saturday night, instead of Friday
    – they’re open later (til 8) on Fridays, but only until 5 on Saturdays
    – this would mean we could have it be specifically a crowd who’s there for LEGO fun, rather than having uninterested parties taking up prime building table space like last time

Since we have ICF and LVRRA on the weekend of May 20, and May 27 is Memorial Day Weekend, how do yinz feel about May 6 or 13?

It’s pretty low key – just hang out, do a few build challenges, drink coffee if you’re into that sort of thing… we’d just need a couple people to help staff and run the challenges (and to pick up / drop off play brick from Josh’s house.)

Who’s interested? Strong preference on date? If not, I’m recommending 5/13.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I might be persuaded to come out the 13th. (The 6th I will be in MA for BrickFair.) I actually don’t have any experience doing this kind of thing though, so I don’t wanna have to run it myself, so there’ll need to be at least one other volunteer.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar