Ligonier Valley Rail Road Association – May 2

Home Forums LUG discussions Ligonier Valley Rail Road Association – May 2

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Folks, we’ve been invited back to the LVRRA Model Railroad Home Tour on Saturday, May 2. Last year, several people (like such as @timf, @laura, @bengood921, @dacvak…) participated, and we had good times! It was a super low key event – easygoing and friendly people, lots of foot traffic, just one day, and I think it was a worthwhile foray into points east of Pittsburgh. Might be something for folks like @matthew-jeffory who live out that way to consider.

Anyway, our commitment would be to set up either Friday night 5/1 or Saturday morning 5/2, and staff throughout the day on Saturday – I believe the hours are roughly 9-5, then tear down afterward. It’s a bit tight to get it done in the morning, and requires getting up pretty early, so last year we went up Friday; but that of course requires a bit more driving to head up and back both days. The event is based at Huber Hall, a fire hall in Latrobe, and we’d display there; they also hand out maps to direct you to a bunch of folks’ homes to check out their personal displays. Last year, they gave us passes so we could take turns checking out some of the other displays.

If you’re interested, let me know! We probably want to confirm that we have at least 3-4 members wanting to participate before we commit, so let me know if it sounds like a good time to you. We can probably set up a basic Bluebrick layout, and/or just wing it – we kind of just showed up and started setting things up last time. Obviously, town/train is the order of the day.

Keep in mind, this is the weekend after PBF. So we could also consider taking largely the same town/train display. Just want to make sure everyone knows we’d be talking back to back LEGO weekends if you participate in both events.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’d be interested, it was fun last year. The timing after PBF is not ideal but there’s nothing we can do about that.

I’m not a morning person, there’s no way I’m getting there in time to set up by 9. I’m pretty sure last year I staffed from noon to 5, and weirdo freaks who like to get up early like Tim and Matt got there super early. So I’d definitely vote for a Friday setup.

I’d definitely just be bringing the same stuff from Philly BrickFest. In fact I expect the park to be pretty much the same as it was at Greenberg. The good news is we’ll have a lot more homemade modulars n whatnot than we did a year ago.

The big question is my mind is are we taking our own tables? The park of course is specifically designed for a 40″ table. It seems like the way to go to me but then we have to decide how many to take and how we’re getting them there.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’d like to say we’ll use our tables; that’s why we built them, after all. Not sure whether we’ll have a LUG trailer by then, or whether tables would fit into my Camry, but we can figure that out between now and then.

And yea, we’ll be a lot more homemade, but this is definitely an event where we can get away with using the stock modulars if we need to. Which would be deviating from the PBF layout, since we’d get laughed out of Philly if we had a Town Hall and Fire Brigade in our display there.

Matthew
    Participant

Well i no longer live close to the Ligonier Valley anymore, im not 3 hours from pitt and 2 hours from LV. But i plan on making one of the shows and maybe both. Depending on my stock of bricks im not sure if ill have an airport for the PBF yet or the LVRRA.

Im now located in Chambersburg PA… sooooooooo im not sure yet about shows and meetings.

But if i can have the airport up by then ill be at one of the shows displaying.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Oh yea, Matt, that’s a bit far for regular meetings and whatnot. Didn’t know you’d moved further from us.

Slight threadjack here, but you might be interested in checking out PennLUG – you’re about halfway between us and them now, and I believe they actually are hosting a monthly meeting in York this Saturday (they rotate hosts, and some live around Harrisburg and whatnot…) Not that we’d want to lose you, but if you did want to meet some of those guys, now might be the time, while their meeting is relatively close.

But yeah, you’re still welcome to participate with us however and whenever you want! We can include your airport in our display planning for PBF and LVRR, so long as you keep us in the loop as to the size of it, and whether it’ll be ready.

Josh
    Keymaster

Did we get paid for this last year? Is that on the table again this year?

LEGO new event support applications require 3 months notice…so, if we can commit within a day or two, that’d be swell…

Matthew
    Participant

Alright sounds good!… and for the airport, it will be a MOC but do the planes have to be MOC?

Tim

I’d like to participate in this again. Super low key but the people there are really nice and genuinely appreciated us being there. I honestly can not remember if we got any payment for this, but I want to say we did not. If we did, it could not have been more than $50.

Like others have already said, I would just piggyback on PBF with basically the same stuff (I might add in my microscale Pittsburgh skyscrapers just to add something different).

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

As info, here’s last year’s thread, including links to Ben and DAC’s pics on flickr.

Did we get paid for this last year? Is that on the table again this year?

No, we did not. It’s a fundraiser for their museum, so our compensation will come in the form of a fun time, a chance to see some hardcore model train hobbyists, possibly some pizza (they shared with us during Friday setup last year – but don’t count on it), and LUG Support. Speaking of which…

LEGO new event support applications require 3 months notice…so, if we can commit within a day or two, that’d be swell…

Yea, I dropped the ball on getting the word out early for this one, but they also changed their contacts twice on me, so I only heard back from the latest contact a couple days ago. Can we get at least 3 or 4 people committed ASAP?

Alright sounds good!… and for the airport, it will be a MOC but do the planes have to be MOC?

For this event, it doesn’t matter. If you take the airport to PBF, I’d recommend custom planes if possible, but they might not beat you up too badly if the planes are stock.

Matthew
    Participant

I can commit to LVRRA now, because if worse come to worse ill bring my stock MODULARS and trains, ect.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

So, that sounds like four people committing with reasonable certainty, no?

1) Matt R
    2) Tim
    3) Ben
    4) Matt L

Think that’s enough to lock it down, from a LUG Support perspective, @JoshHall?

Obviously, more would be welcome, but for now we just need to know we have enough to pull this off, in order to get the form submitted. If anyone else wants to chime in and increase our level of confidence, by all means do so!

Tim

Think that’s enough to lock it down, from a LUG Support perspective, @JoshHall?

Yes, lock it down and let’s apply for LUG support. Also, as far as what tables to use, we could certainly use ours but our display is relatively small (say compared to what we put together for November Greenberg) and the tables they had for us to use were actually of fairy good quality.

Aaron Gomez
    Participant

I think I will be able to come down to staff on Saturday. I wouldn’t be at the set-up on Friday but I might be able to bring a small moc on Saturday morning, depending on if I get something built.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

So.

I’m an idiot and totally failed to realize until just now that my brother’s college graduation is May 2. In Southwestern Ohio. Which puts me in a position where I pretty much can’t be in Latrobe that day.

I’m still willing to help coordinate this event, but is anyone willing to take point for game day operations? It’s really not that complex – we’ll basically take a simple town/train layout (and monorail?!) and set up (mostly Friday night, can finish up Saturday morn), then ensure that at least one or two LUG members are staffing the display throughout the day Saturday. The LVRRA folks are super friendly and laid back, so this is definitely a low pressure gig – especially if we take our tables and grabby hand shields.

Tim

I’m planning on being there so I can certainly head this up. Although this is definitely train related, I would love to have some of the space and monorail stuff on display that we had at the Greenberg show in November. The entire display does not have to be Town based.

Please let me know what you can bring. The stock modular buildings are perfectly fine for this display.

Tim

As we are now less than a month away, I wanted to bring this back onto people’s radar. Currently, I think only Ben, Matt L., and I are confirmed with Aaron possibly staffing on Saturday. I’ll have Greg’s Pittsburgh Bridge with me as well as my town stuff from PBF. Who else can attend? I have enough 9v for a few loops but some more would be very helpful (@laura). Also, can any of the space guys (@randomdan, @zemata) be there with “spacey” stuff?

Pete
    Participant

I am interested in going out to LVRRA

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I got a letter from the LVRRA the other day; here are the important details:

LOCATION: Huber Hall, 300 South Alexandria Street, Latrobe, PA 15650
    SETUP: Friday 5/1 after 5 PM and Saturday 5/2 after 7:30 AM
    TOUR HOURS: Saturday 9 AM – 4 PM

If we have our layout adequately staffed, we are allowed to visit the other locations (people’s houses with permanent displays) – take turns staffing and going out.

There will be food for sale at the hall, and there are plenty of options nearby on Route 30 if people want to send out a foraging party.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’ll be there at 5pm on Fri and noon to 5pm on Sat. Susie expects to come with both times.

Last year we pulled this off with just 6 people and it was fine. But making a commitment list doesn’t hurt, and the more the merrier, as usual. I don’t know if Dac and Laura are coming again to this one or not, they supplied a lot of stuff last year. @dacvak @laura

I thought I’d posted this already, but apparently not – for anybody who doesn’t follow me on flickr (and if you don’t, you’re definitely not one of the cool kids), here’s what we looked like last year:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8994372@N04/14546710644/in/set-72157645497921823

As previously mentioned, this is one where we can shamelessly get away with loading up on existing sets, so now’s the time to bust them out. For anybody really interested, there’s 18 more pics in the album plus a link to Dac’s pics.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

for anybody who doesn’t follow me on flickr (and if you don’t, you’re definitely not one of the cool kids)

Incidentally, Wiz and The Cool Kids would be a great name for a rock band.

As previously mentioned, this is one where we can shamelessly get away with loading up on existing sets, so now’s the time to bust them out.

Amen. @matthew-jeffory, here’s where some of your sets and whatnot could come in handy, if you’re up for back to back weekends (it’s not *too* far from Johnstown to Latrobe…)

Aaron Gomez
    Participant

I’ll be going for most of Saturday, though I’m not sure exactly when I’ll arrive/leave.

I might bring a small, stand-alone model in a different (undecided) theme to add variety to the display but that would be all. If I do, I’ll bring it down Saturday morning.

Josh
    Keymaster

I’m pretty sure @willmcdine said he would probably come too.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Hi! I’m interested in helping to staff or set up for this, whatever needs more help so let me know 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Hi! I’m interested in helping to staff or set up for this, whatever needs more help so let me know 🙂

Pretty much anybody who wants can show up either day or both. You’re a grad student though, right? So you’re used to getting up at horribly early hours and then doing thankless work for no pay, right? I think Tim needs somebody to keep him company at 8am that Saturday morning, so if he has to go the bathroom or something, there’ll be somebody else to keep the unwashed masses from touching my oh-so-important Legos.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

So you’re used to getting up at horribly early hours and then doing thankless work for no pay, right?

Lolololol #mylife. Yup, I can do that shift :p

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar