Magnets and logo

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Magnets and logo

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have a box with HUNDREDS of thin refrigerator magnets, 3.5″ x 2″, from my school district that are being discarded. Can anyone design LUG stickers to place on the face of these magnets?

Sean Collins
    Participant

Ill give it a try

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I have a box with HUNDREDS of thin refrigerator magnets, 3.5″ x 2″, from my school district that are being discarded. Can anyone design LUG stickers to place on the face of these magnets?

I can also see what I can come up with. Coincidentally, I wasted a lot of time this week making unnecessarily fancy LUG labels for my transport containers. My first effort is not great (I’m not even going to bother posting it here even though I am going to use it for the container I bought recently) and it’s also too busy for magnet size (it’s really also too busy for the size I printed it at, 4.68″ x 3.38″, but I most likely don’t have time to design another one before I leave town on Tuesday). But I’m sure there’ll be more attempts after I get back though. Those containers aren’t gonna label themselves.

Anything I come up with will be designed to be printed monochrome black on yellow, will say ‘Steel City LUG’ (there’s tons of free font webpages and I have literally thousands on my computer) and the webpage, and have some kind of geometric-design border around it. That’s about as creative as I get around here, so if you want something more than that, you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Can anyone design LUG stickers to place on the face of these magnets?

This is my first draft. I would add more buildings to the skyline. Thoughts?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I like that one. I like v2 better. Have you printed it at actual size to make sure it doesn’t look too small? That’s always my concern on something like this.

This topic might be worth its own thread, I don’t know how to make that happen though, nor do I have the necessary authority to do so.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Also, I don’t know if you really need more buildings on the skyline, but I’d be interesting in seeing what you come up with.

My bigger concern, looking at it more, is that the words ‘Steel City LUG’ are not super easy to read. I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be better with a more ‘solid’ font (rather than half solid, half outline. It’s a cool font but I think it would be better used for something being printed larger than 2″, and where the letters are straight up instead of isometric.).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Great job, Professor Frost! I find myself agreeing with Ben’s ideas, I like the second one with only the brick being yellow (not the background) and I think I would prefer the words being a single color.

Tom Frost
    Participant

the words ‘Steel City LUG’ are not super easy to read

Yes, I had the same thought
    Here I have used the same font, but simplified

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Yeah I like draft 3.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Me too. Draft 3 looks the best.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Is this the long-awaited logo redesign?!? Surely we can use it for more than refrigerator magnets…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

This topic might be worth its own thread

Definitely is.

I don’t know how to make that happen though

Step 1 – Go here: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/bbforum/lug-discussions/
    Step 2 – ???
    Step 3 – PROFIT.

But seriously, Step 2 – scroll down and start typing (see attached screen shot.) You can also pick a different category on the main Forums page rather than LUG Discussions, but in this case, that’s the sub-forum in which the topic of LUG logo magnets belongs.

Now, the wizardry of extricating posts about one topic and creating a separate thread with them is something I believe can be done, but I am not sure how to cast those spells… might give it a quick go, but might also need to bring in the real wizard, @JoshHall.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Josh.
    Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

split the thread. yinz guys keep rocking on.

Josh
    Keymaster

oh, but while I’m thinking about it, the minifig and brick are protected trademarks, I believe…I’m looking for the official document that LEGO put out about using (or not using) minifigs and bricks in logos…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have the magnets. I will try to get them to Tom sometime … maybe at the end of the week?

Tom Frost
    Participant

@JoshHall from “Guidelines for the Use of LEGO Group Intellectual Property Assets by Recognized LEGO User Groups”: Page 2, Section 3, paragraph 2:

“RLUGs may use depictions of LEGO bricks and LEGO knobs (or “studs”) in their logos. This provision applies only to RLUGs that are non-commercial in nature.”

Pete
    Participant

@JoshHall from “Guidelines for the Use of LEGO Group Intellectual Property Assets by Recognized LEGO User Groups”: Page 2, Section 3, paragraph 2:

“RLUGs may use depictions of LEGO bricks and LEGO knobs (or “studs”) in their logos. This provision applies only to RLUGs that are non-commercial in nature.”

Define non-commercial.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Define non-commercial.

Legally, Josh has us registered as a social club. We are not a business. I don’t see it being an issue.

Tom Frost
    Participant

The next paragraph in the document seems to define “commercial” as an RLUG that is incorporated or seeks to trademark their logo

Josh
    Keymaster

Tom wins.

Josh
    Keymaster

so it’s said, and to stop the thread jack, I’m pretty sure we could get 5 people to approve spending money on these, as long as someone is willing to lead it.

Pete
    Participant

I thought these magnet thingies were already in the works.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I can get 1,000 (2 x 3.5″) high-gloss white vinyl stickers printed from printrunner.com shipped for $51.80 Are there 5 people who think this would be a good idea? I also want to tweak the design a little more (like adding the website)

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I don’t know anything about this kind of thing, but 1000 stickers for $50 sounds reasonable to me and like something that the LUG can afford. I’m thinking it would be money well spent. Presumably we will need to put them on the magnets ourselves. Fortunately, all those years of building sets and putting stickers on Lego pieces means that we should all be major world experts at lining them up well.

Tom Frost
    Participant

(Also, what ever happened with the magnets plan? I was under the impression that that one was really gonna happen, but I haven’t heard about it in awhile.)

Yeah, that’s been on the back burner for awhile. My fault, entirely! I wasn’t quite satisfied with the design, and not very motivated to work on it further. But Josh’s t-shirt thread has brought forth a couple of ideas which I think have improved it, and I’d like to try to get some made before our upcoming summer events. Here is an updated design. What do you guys think. Incidentally, the price of the stickers has gone up slightly to $57.56 for 1,000 shipped.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Tom Frost. Reason: fixed typo in the design
    Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar