Maker Faire Pittsburgh 2016

Home Forums LUG discussions Maker Faire Pittsburgh 2016

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author

http://makerfairepittsburgh.com/

The Call for Makers is now open for this year’s Maker Faire Pittsburgh. I know Steel City LUG participated last year but I don’t know what that entailed.

I’m planning on going, although I haven’t decided on what I’ll bring yet – I’ll probably plan around what sort of themes/collaborative things Steel City LUG is planning on, as well as around however many people we plan on having available to man our area. Who else is going? Anyone know what they’re bringing yet? What plans are already in the works?

I met up with the organizers this past weekend and they seemed excited about having AFOLs there this year. My display that went over well at this year’s National Maker Faire was a DUPLO Ball Run with a variety of other models intertwined around it, including my lamp, DUPLO kid, space mosaic, pneumatic walker, etc etc etc. They also sounded interested when I mentioned having brought my NXT Robot Band to other Maker Faires. Do we have any other AFOLs coming in from out of the area? I know I’ll be looking to split a hotel room with somebody to keep expenses down.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Probably interested in doing this again. Especially if we can make it more interactive somehow, since that’s kind of the point. Last year was great, but it was mostly a “look at what we maked!” rather than a “learn how we maked it and make something yourself!”

Also, if we can make sure we’re organized earlier this year, that’d be great. Extenuating circumstances made it a mad scramble at the last minute last year, and while I’m proud of the folks who helped pull it together, I don’t need more stress in my life right now. 😉

My display that went over well at this year’s National Maker Faire was a DUPLO Ball Run with a variety of other models intertwined around it, including my lamp, DUPLO kid, space mosaic, pneumatic walker, etc etc etc. They also sounded interested when I mentioned having brought my NXT Robot Band to other Maker Faires.

Pix or it didn’t happen, @danny316p. 😉

Ooh, not every day I use winky emoji twice in one post!

Josh
    Keymaster

Do you want to hear about the application process, catch up on the latest developments, or learn how you can help spread the word about Maker Faire Pittsburgh?

Only 3 Info Sessions Left!
    • Learn how you can be a part of Maker Faire Pittsburgh- October 14-16 as a maker, performer, presenter, sponsor, or volunteer.
    • Ask questions about the Call for Makers application process (Round I deadline July 15; Round II deadline August 15.)
    • Find out more about Education Friday.
    • Tell us what you want to do and see at the event.

Upcoming Info Sessions:
    click on the link next to the info session(s) you want to attend
    • Thursday, June 23 at 6:30pm at Looking for Group Register
    • Tuesday, July 12 at 6:30pm at HackPittsburgh Register
    • Thursday, July 28 at 6:30pm at Innovation Works Register
    To learn more about Maker Faire Pittsburgh, visit http://www.makerfairepittsburgh.com.
    To submit an Maker Faire exhibit, presentation, or performance proposal,visit http://makerfairepittsburgh.com/exhibit-at-maker-faire-pittsburgh/.

Josh
    Keymaster

danfourth, are you coming to the quarterly meeting tomorrow? Would you be willing to lead the LUG display for maker faire?

Probably interested in doing this again. Especially if we can make it more interactive somehow, since that’s kind of the point. Last year was great, but it was mostly a “look at what we maked!” rather than a “learn how we maked it and make something yourself!”

The ball run and pneumatic walker seemed to help with that, but I’m not sure if we can expect that much space this time around. One thing that worked well at Maker Faire NC back in the day was a MUJI make-and-take – kids cut out various shapes, use LEGO-sized hole punches and connect the paper pieces together with 1 x 1 round plates (we had a donation box set up to cover the cost of materials).

Pix or it didn’t happen, @danny316p. ?

Pictures (and video) are forthcoming but a bit delayed.

danfourth, are you coming to the quarterly meeting tomorrow? Would you be willing to lead the LUG display for maker faire?

I’m a bit too far away to travel to Pittsburgh regularly (the Maker Faire might be the only time I get out there this year). As such, I’m not planning on attending any quarterly meetings, I’m not going to be at the Info Sessions, and I’ll probably miss whatever maker-orientation type thing they do closer to the event, too. I can certainly coordinate and be a contact person anyway, though, but it might make sense to have someone local handle it (or maybe just handle the in-person advance stuff) instead.

Josh
    Keymaster

Early Bird Gets the Worm!
    Round 1 for Maker Application Submissions Ends July 15.

Although the Final Date to Submit your Maker Exhibit Proposal is August 15, getting your proposal in before July 15 gives us more time to promote YOU!

Please note, even if you were part of Maker Faire Pittsburgh last year, you need to reapply to be part of this year’s Faire this year.

Maker Faire Pittsburgh is looking for a wide variety of eclectic, diverse and forward thinking projects and ideas that highlight the DIY and tinkerer spirit. Exhibits and displays can range from student projects, robotics, 3D printers and CNC mills, textile arts and crafts, home energy monitoring, rockets and R/C toys, sustainability, green tech, radios, vintage computers and game systems, electronics, electric vehicles, biology/biotech and chemistry projects, puppets, kites, bicycles, and unusual tools or machines.

Don’t want to be tied down by a booth? Get Creative!!! Maker Faire Pittsburgh encourages workshops, talks, parades, music, and more!

Individuals, groups, schools, clubs, organizations, and entrepreneurs are invited to apply to demonstrate what they make and share what they have learned with other makers and with the community. There is no fee for individuals or community groups to exhibit at Maker Faire Pittsburgh. There is a fee of $150 for those who intend to sell products at the Faire.

Click here to learn how to apply to be a maker at Maker Faire Pittsburgh.

Forward this email to other artists, inventors, crafters, and makers you know. Hope you can join us at the Faire!

Sincerely,
    The Maker Faire Pittsburgh Team

Dan
    Participant

Ideas for a display?

Josh
    Keymaster

GBC might be nice…

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:53 PM
    To: josh@sixf00t4.com
    Subject: New reply in topic Maker Faire Pittsburgh 2016

Sir Dan Walker of the Block wrote:

Ideas for a display?

Josh
    Keymaster

Round 2 Application Deadline: August 15, 2016

someone needs to go through the steps to register for this to happen. http://makerfairepittsburgh.com/exhibit-at-maker-faire-pittsburgh/?mc_cid=702429a95b&mc_eid=064b0cc414

Danfourth, it was nice meeting you and seeing how -legit- you are at Brickfair!

Dan
    Participant

So who’s interested? @philmatt24 @timf @greg @zaximillian @zbauer @laura @solscud007 ?

I don’t mind filling out the form if we have people who want to go.

Zach Bauer
    Participant

I’m in!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Ideas for a display?

GBC might be nice…

@bengood921
    said in an e-mail (after I said I would like to do a GBC for next year’s BrickFair VA) “Start now. They have a level of frustration and failure that I have not experienced with other types of Lego building, and pretty much anything that can go wrong will. ”

That said, I still support us taking a crack at it for Maker Faire.

Danfourth, it was nice meeting you and seeing how –legit– you are at Brickfair!

Nick Chen
    Participant

I should be here. I can go.

Dan
    Participant

I’m in!

You gonna be in town?!

Dan
    Participant

An exhibit proposal has been submitted. Anybody have a photo they think would make a nice exhibit photo?

Zach Bauer
    Participant

You gonna be in town?!

I can be.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

…aaaanyone wanna try a rudimentary GBC for this event, then? Or have other ideas for things that move that we can take? Or have ideas for interactive stuff we can do? (That one’s risky – a lot of Makers have stuff people can make, then take… so we’d have to be careful… maybe a small build made of uber cheap brick / stuff we have in plethora in LUG inventory?)

I can be.

Bring all your painted bricks!

Zach Bauer
    Participant

Bring all your painted bricks!

Already on it!

Dan
    Participant

Our proposal has been approved! More info will be sent in the coming weeks, but supposedly we’ll be posted on their site in a few days.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

@randomdan – any updates here? We’re 2.5 weeks out. I still think I can staff at least some of the weekend, not sure exactly when yet.

Dan
    Participant

I have not received anything from them yet. I was going to give until mid-week, then reach out regarding scheduling and such.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Sounds good. Obviously, we’ll need to get into high gear with what we’re displaying / if we have something interactive / who’s staffing what shifts, but we pulled it together last year so I’m sure we can again this year. It’s definitely a cool event and well worth our participation, just would be nice to get our ducks in a row the week before the event instead the week of like last year. 😉

Dan
    Participant

Schedule
    Maker Orientation: October 8 from 10am-noon or 1-3pm. Attendance is mandatory for all Makers (email the contact below if you can’t make it to the orientation)
    Registration for Maker Orientation: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/maker-orientation-commercial-maker-payments-maker-faire-pittsburgh-2016-tickets-27729410413

All projects must be unloaded by 8pm, although it seems we’ll have time afterwards to set up a bit
    Load-in: October 14 from 3pm-9pm for Maker Faire Pittsburgh

Maker Mash: October 14 from 5:30-7:30 at the Children’s Museum
    Registration for Maker Mash: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/maker-faire-pittsburgh-2016-maker-mash-tickets-27729971090

Arrival for the Faire starts at 7:30am. Tear down is Sunday 6-10pm.
    Maker Faire: October 15 & 16 from 10am-6pm

Contact
    Our primary contact is Chad Elish: chad@makerfairepittsburgh.com / (412) 219-2723

Address
    Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh, 10 Children’s Way, Pittsburgh PA 15212

Notes
    The exhibit space will be backed by chain-link fence so we may be able to hang the banner back there! We get one parking pass for the garage directly underneath the Faire for each day (Saturday and Sunday). The loading areas are Children’s Way, off of West Commons and Allegheny Square East, off of East Commons (best for large exhibits, automotive exhibits, trucks or trailers).

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Dan.
    Dan
    Participant

See my previous post for new information!

I need to start getting serious about this. First question: Is there anyone interested in splitting a hotel room? I’m definitely going to need somewhere nearby to stay that Friday and Saturday night, Sunday might be good too.

I’m game for GBC – I’ve got one new module ready to go, a few old ones I can clean up, and a few ideas for new ones. What sort of space do we have?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar