Maker Faire Pittsburgh 2016

Home Forums LUG discussions Maker Faire Pittsburgh 2016

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

I got some information from Chad. They’re limiting Maker badges again so we’re going to need to register all Makers/helpers. We need a solid headcount ASAP.

As for the orientation they’d like as many people to attend as possible, but if you can’t email Chad (so they have it on record) and one of us who attends can explain what they go over.

Given the relatively lite response to the thread I’ve only requested one table so far. Time to get some commitment so we can make any necessary adjustments.

For headcount cureently have @danny316p @zbauer @solscud007 and myself. @philmatt24 @JoshHall are you guys in? Any interest from others @laura @erunaamo @willmcdine @pete @bsodan @whitesidewjw just to name a few?

Dan
    Participant

@danny316p most members live within driving distance so it may be tough finding a hotel partner, but it may be possible for you to crash at someone’s house. My apartment isn’t really suited for guests, but we’ll see what we can get working.

As for GBC I’m not sure if anyone else has functioning components, but it would be cool! We currently reserved one table for free building (brick for the kids to build with) and I’m assuming we’ll want at least one more to display on.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’d like to participate, but definitely can’t be there all weekend (at best, probably could help a bit with setup Friday and be there part of Saturday or Sunday.) So if badges are limited, someone who can commit to the whole weekend should get priority over me for sure.

I think maybe last year we were able to trade off badges for shift staffers, though – do yinz remember?

As for GBC, I’m not aware of anyone with a working module. @bengood921’s module is epic, but thus also epically vulnerable to malfunctions (well, aren’t all GBC’s finicky?), and I’m not sure whether he’s had time to rebuild it since BrickFairVA. @danfourth, can you create a simple “ball return” feature to loop back to the inlet on your module?

Dan
    Participant

They give a limited number of badges, but I can add you as a helper (which means no badge, but you can still come help… not quite sure what the difference is).

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

(which means no badge, but you can still come help… not quite sure what the difference is).

Lulz. Sounds like a plan. I’ll be a helper.

Dan
    Participant

Good news, everyone!

We’re indoors this year! Here’s our page on the Maker Faire site: http://makerfairepittsburgh.com/maker/steel-city-lug/. Please review the logo and description at the bottom of the page. We have until tomorrow evening to update them (I just filled in some generic info initially).

Here’s the Doodle: http://doodle.com/poll/nk4v79qq45yhtnc7

Remember to register for the Maker Mash if you want to attend; it’s being held in the Children’s Museum cafeteria again.

@danny316p
    could I get your first and last name as well as email to add you as a helper?

I’m Daniel Pikora – 316danny@gmail.com

How do helpers get in if we don’t get badges? Regular admission isn’t free, and I’d assume we’d need a badge to get in without paying it…

The GBC module I’ve been working on does have a self-feeding feature. If no one else is doing GBC, I’ll stick with just the one instead of trying to get my other modules together.

I could use a little guidance on what else to bring…I could fill our whole space by myself, but I don’t want to drown out the group or take away from the build area. It’d be easier for me to grab stuff that goes with whatever everyone else wants to bring. I’m tempted to skip my interactive stuff (which broke down pretty frequently at Maker Faire Silver Spring) since we have a build area. My lamp and mosaics are usually pretty popular, although I usually add on to my classic space mosaic with another panel of space mosaic and some other space-y MOCs. I’ve also got a few Maker Faire-themed Mini Con things I can put out (although I won’t be able to make things look much like the other booths at this particular event), and my folding Town building would probably go over well.

Also, if we need tablecloths, I’ve got 3 (of the same type BrickFair uses) on hand.

Dan
    Participant

Thanks foe the info!

They didn’t talk much about it at rhe orientation, but basically you’ll have a form of ID (not sure if badge or wrist band. They should let you in (as they’ll know your name/organization), but if not just give me a call. I’ll be there all weekend.

Let me check on space/tablecloth. I think we actually have a lot of room to expand, but let me check with Chad.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I have the play brick, the LUG sign (chain link fence behind our booth on which we can hang it, right?), and the Harry Potter mosaic.

@danny316p
    , care to Doodle your availability to staff? Sounds like you have a nice assortment of stuff we can display! What is the “interactive stuff”…?

I’m planning on being there the whole time (give or take a little time to check out the other displays).

Getting more into MOCs – I keep forgetting that my “old crap everyone’s seen already” hasn’t really been seen by everyone already. I’m still really behind on current photos, but a friend of mine got overview shots of most of my island at BrickUniverse Raleigh this year: https://www.flickr.com/photos/black-six/albums/72157667117408541 – there were a few other contributions to the “Mini Con” display there, but the rest of the MOCs there are mine.

In there, my interactive items are my pneumatic walker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/black-six/25868502373/in/album-72157667117408541/ (the kids use the hand pump to run it) and my DUPLO Ball Run: https://www.flickr.com/photos/black-six/26405190081/in/album-72157667117408541/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/black-six/26379018602/in/album-72157667117408541/ (the kids take balls from the end and put them in the start). The pneumatic tubing for the walker has worn out and keeps popping off, so I’ve ordered some off-brand tubing from Amazon that should work better (it might be in before I leave on Friday). I build the ball run differently every time (most of it has to be built on site), and I know a few of the modules from that event (last April) have been rebuilt differently or scrapped entirely already. I usually set that up to sprawl across/in front of 2+ tables, though, and having the ball run and the walker on a table tends to encourage the kids to lean against/shake that table a bit more – so they might not be a good idea if we’ve only got one table of MOCs.

The building that folds up is the pink one from this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/black-six/25868502643/in/album-72157667117408541/ – I think the other items there are fairly self-explanatory. Most of it’s available again if we want to have it out (except for the Star Wars scene and Piranha Plant, which need too many repairs).

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Cool stuff! I’d think the walker is a no-brainer to include, if it’s in working condition; same with GBC (how big is that, btw?) Fold up building I definitely want to see, but would that be a case where you let kids / adults try it, or just demonstrate?

The ball run seems easy enough to transport / set up, right? If so, I’d suggest bringing it along and we’ll use if we have space.

We can probably arrange for one “static” (no touchee) MOC table, and one “interactive.” But @randomdan would be able to speak to that better than I, once he talks to Chad.

The pneumatic tubing for the walker has worn out and keeps popping off, so I’ve ordered some off-brand tubing from Amazon

Oh noes! Don’t let @JoshHall hear you say that, or you’ll get #banned!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m planning on being there the whole time (give or take a little time to check out the other displays).

Oh, for sure. Bathroom breaks and chances to check out the other booths are exactly why we want to have at least 2-3 staffers per shift! Plus, it’s way more fun and less stressful when we have more folks there to hang out / talk with / interact… if just 1-2 of us, and it’s busy, can be hectic. Plus, PaB reward credits for staffers and displayers from LUG inventory! So many reasons to staff this weekend, you guys!

A little more info I’ve found about the local hackerspace that puts on the event: HackPGH ( http://www.hackpittsburgh.org/ ) has open activities open to the public both Friday and Saturday evening. I’ll probably pop over there after the Maker Mash at the Children’s Museum ends at 7:30 on Friday, and then again on Saturday night.

Cool stuff! I’d think the walker is a no-brainer to include, if it’s in working condition; same with GBC (how big is that, btw?) Fold up building I definitely want to see, but would that be a case where you let kids / adults try it, or just demonstrate?

The GBC module is roughly 5″ x 15″.

I’d just demonstrate the folding building…it’s not sturdy enough to be kid-proof.

The ball run seems easy enough to transport / set up, right? If so, I’d suggest bringing it along and we’ll use if we have space.

I can certainly fit it in the car and play it by ear there. I’ve also got a few card tables in the car that I could bring, but those wouldn’t be sturdy enough to handle kids leaning on/shaking it.

Danfourth wrote:
    The pneumatic tubing for the walker has worn out and keeps popping off, so I’ve ordered some off-brand tubing from Amazon

Oh noes! Don’t let @JoshHall hear you say that, or you’ll get #banned!

Interactivity is downright abusive on LEGO parts and MOCs…I’ve seen someone use a bike pump on the floor before to allow kids to wail on something without breaking LEGO pieces, and I’m considering stealing that idea (besides the damage to my pneumatic tube, I’ve also lost a hand pump to kids smashing it into a table too much). I’m not comfortable with cutting LEGO pieces, and I don’t think letting kids tear them or wear them out is any better. If a tube that looks the same (and isn’t from a clone brand) is enough to avoid having to ruin LEGO pieces, I’ll take it.

Plus, PaB reward credits for staffers and displayers from LUG inventory! So many reasons to staff this weekend, you guys!

Does that mean anything for those of us too far away to make a quarterly meeting?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m not comfortable with cutting LEGO pieces, and I don’t think letting kids tear them or wear them out is any better. If a tube that looks the same (and isn’t from a clone brand) is enough to avoid having to ruin LEGO pieces, I’ll take it.

Yeah, we’re not really quite as strict as we act, especially if there’s a good reason like this.

Does that mean anything for those of us too far away to make a quarterly meeting?

Hmm… I wonder if we could work out an alternative redemption system… That’d be up to the LUG Inventory Guru, @lunch36

Greg Schubert
    Participant

First time Ive skimmed this thread.

Maker Mash: October 14 from 5:30-7:30 at the Children’s Museum
    Registration for Maker Mash: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/maker-faire-pittsburgh-2016-maker-mash-tickets-27729971090

FYI, the page says that Maker Mash is “by invite only” but it also says that the tickets are free.

Dan
    Participant

Sorry for the delay, it has been a hectic week indeed.

Thank you all for Doolin’! I’ve added Matt, Zach, Dan, Nick, and Josh as Helpers.

I emailed Chad when I made that post and haven’t heard back since, so we’re going to plan for just one booth area (similar to last year). This means one table along the front with room for MOCs and likely some space on the side for our free build brick.

@danny316p
    I’d love to see all this! I doubt we’ll have room to display it all (given the space), but it’s always safe to overpack. Perhaps we can rotate stuff out over both days? Also, don’t worry about bringing card tables. I’ve got plenty if it turns out we need them.

Dan
    Participant

Our booth number is 2869

Any tips on where to park or unload? I’ve got directions for the Nova deck so far, but that looks like it’ll run $12/day.

I’m looking at arriving around 3 PM tomorrow.

Dan
    Participant

There is on street parking in the area and a paid garage under the convention center. Unfortunately there’s no free parking in the area.

Dan
    Participant

Alright, I might see about taking a half day then as it sounds like I need to be present to get everyone in!

Dan
    Participant

Thanks everyone for making this happen! It was a lot of fun and really successful! I think the public really had a great time!

Dan
    Participant

Maker Faire sent us a follow up survey to provide feedback. What did you think was coolest? What did you like the most about MF? Did you meet anyone cool or make any connections? What did you think could be improved about MF? Anything specifically about load in/out?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I can’t find the thread for this for 2015, but I found this pic and I’m posting it here.

I started looking into this one for 2017. I know it’s still early and there’s still big stuff coming up in August, and I figured this would be one that will get discussed at Q3 if people are interested. But I was on the MF webpage, looking up both Pittsburgh and NY dates, and I linked to the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh Flickr stream. For whatever reason you guys don’t show up in the 2016 album (even though I know you had a big setup cause I’ve seen Danny’s pics on Flickr), but this pic is good, and in the one before it the bridge and sign are visible in the background.

Steel City Lug, an Adult LEGO Users Group from Pittsburgh, displays some of their latest creations.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’d been meaning to get a new thread for 2017 started – one of these days!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Maker Faire is October 14 & 15, 2017

Home Page

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar