New "Old" Guy

Home Forums Introductions New "Old" Guy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Bob Grier
    Participant

Hi Steel City LUG!!!  I’m Bob G., and I live in Gibsonia, PA.  I recently signed up as a new member and am looking forward to some interactions with the group. My guess is that I may be a little “old” for this group, because when I went to enter my birthday on the profile, the calendar for the year didn’t go back that far!!! I’m 63, a retired engineer, and got back into building MOC’s about 5 years ago as a wintertime hobby. This year’s project is Hogwarts Castle.  I’ll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Hi Bob. Greg will be glad that you’re in the group, cause he keeps score of how many people live north of Pittsburgh, plus it’ll mean that he’s no longer the oldest person in the group.

Tim

This year’s project is Hogwarts Castle. I’ll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Welcome, Bob. We’ve made a start on the Hogwarts Great Hall and had it on display back in November. There are a few pictures in the LUG’s Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/misterfrost/30971946195/in/pool-steelcitylug/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/misterfrost/30883635761/in/pool-steelcitylug/. Looking forward to seeing your Hogwarts!

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Hi Bob! Welcome, I love Harry Potter MOCs, looking forward to seeing it! When ya get a chance, you’ll have to check out the Great Hall that @timf and @greg made for a show last fall 🙂

lol shoulda refreshed, Tim just beat me to it!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Hannah Dow.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Welcome, indeed! We don’t discriminate based on age (or any other reason); apologies if the website’s range was insufficient!

Bob Grier
    Participant

Thanks for the “welcomes”!! Got a chance this AM to check out the “Great Hall” pics on the LUG Flickr account, and they look great!! A lot more focus on detail inside than what I have done. I’ll try to attach a couple of pics of my Hogwarts MOC to this post.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bob Grier
    Participant

Front side view. File size was too big the first time!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Sweet! I’m looking forward to seeing that one in person, although it does not look like it was designed with easy transport in mind, or to even ever leave the house.

If it does make it out though, what’s the width and depth of the display? The LUG has tables we built ourselves (I use the word ‘we’ generously cause my contribution was minimal) that are specifically sized to be four baseplates wide and four deep, ~ 40″x40″.

We also love having train loops in our displays for running trains; unfortunately it looks like adjusting the display so that your train track would no longer dead-end would not be a trivial endeavor.

Also, in the second photo, there’s a framed pic on the wall of what appears to be the attack on Minas Tirath built out of Legos, although when I zoom in, it’s not sharp enough for me to tell if it’s an actual photograph or if it’s some kind of digital or painted reconstruction. Did you build that also and does it still exist?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’ll take Bob’s Hogwarts over Alice Finch’s any day. 😉

Tim

Very nice, Bob. That is the first Hogwarts I’ve seen done in gray rather than tan. You’ve really packed in a lot of great details, including all of the named Towers (Griffidor, Ravenclaw, Astronomy). I would love to see this in person.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

If I leave my wife, it will be for Bob.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Wow! Wonderfully done, Bob! As with Tim, this is the first grey Hogwarts I’ve seen, but I like it 🙂 Also, lol at Greg, so great ?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

If I leave my wife, it will be for Bob.

WHAT??? I thought I was special, Greg!!!

Bob Grier
    Participant

Thanks Benjamin. You’re right in that it wasn’t designed to leave the house, or even my family room for that matter!! Platform is 60″ w x 55″ d, or (6) 10×10’s by 5 1/2 10×10’s. Basically sized to fit on my foosball table (which is what’s underneath) without jutting too far into the room.

Good eyes on the photo on the wall!! Yes, that is (or was) Minas Tirith from LOTR. I built that one 2 years ago, but unfortunately it’s no longer together. I know I have some pictures of it if you’re interested in seeing it.

As far as seeing the Hogwarts MOC, I’m sure that can be arranged if you’re in my area!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Bob, which part of Gibsonia are you in? I’m in the Richland part of Pine-Richland.
    Also, what is your next building step? It looks like your Hogwarts has been completed.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Also, lol at Greg, so great

Yeah you beat me to it. But then who’s gonna pack all your North Pole stuff for you at the end of BrickFair?

>> Platform is 60″ w x 55″ d, or (6) 10×10’s by 5 1/2 10×10’s. Basically sized to fit on my foosball table (which is what’s underneath) without jutting too far into the room.

Aha, so we’re gonna need 20″ tables to accommodate the depth of Bob’s display. Everybody go read my 20″ table thread.

For transporting it, it sounds then like the best solution is bolting eyelets onto the sides of the foosball table and then sliding wooden poles through them so you can carry it like Indy and Sallah did when they moved the Ark of the Covenant out of the Well of Souls. You’ll need a couple of lackeys to do the heavy lifting for you, I recommend cloning Pete.

>> Good eyes on the photo on the wall!! Yes, that is (or was) Minas Tirith from LOTR. I built that one 2 years ago, but unfortunately it’s no longer together. I know I have some pictures of it if you’re interested in seeing it.

You definitely need to create a Flickr account and start posting pics there.

>> As far as seeing the Hogwarts MOC, I’m sure that can be arranged if you’re in my area!

As previously mentioned, Greg has a weird obsession with keeping score of who lives where, and should be able to provide a list of LUG residents who reside in the greater metropolitan North Hills area. Maybe he can organize a field trip to your house.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

For transporting it, it sounds then like the best solution is bolting eyelets onto the sides of the foosball table and then sliding wooden poles through them so you can carry it like Indy and Sallah did when they moved the Ark of the Covenant out of the Well of Souls. You’ll need a couple of lackeys to do the heavy lifting for you, I recommend cloning Pete.

It depends a bit on the model, but foosball tables are friggin’ heavy! That said, I will play foosball and view Hogwarts any time, even if it means venturing into the dreaded North Hills to do so. O_O

Tom Frost
    Participant

Impressive MOC, Bob! Welcome aboard from another ‘Northerner’

Bob Grier
    Participant

Bob, which part of Gibsonia are you in? I’m in the Richland part of Pine-Richland.
    Also, what is your next building step? It looks like your Hogwarts has been completed.

Greg, I’m on the east side of Rt. 8 in West Deer, just up the hill from the fire hall on Rt. 910. Don’t know what’s next yet. I’m still tweaking and adding some detail to Hogwarts.

Josh
    Keymaster

As previously mentioned, Greg has a weird obsession with keeping score of who lives where, and should be able to provide a list of LUG residents who reside in the greater metropolitan North Hills area. Maybe he can organize a field trip to your house.

+2 for the North.

(1 for Bob, and one for the entity that is Hogwarts!)

Welcome Bob! looking forward to more pictures, stories, and interaction with you!

Bob Grier
    Participant

See if this link works. I created a Flickr account and added more Hogwarts photos.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151612075@N07/Z6mmug

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Bob Grier.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Tim

Works great! Fantastic pictures. I really like how you put Hagrid’s hut up on a hill. I never liked how the later movies (3+) portrayed his hut as being so far away from the school and down in a steep valley. The books always gave me the impression that it was not far from the Castle. My favorite picture is the light up shot. 100 points to Gryffindor!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Link works; looks rad! I “invited” a couple of the pics to the Steel City LUG group (whatever that means… I think you’ll see the invitation and can accept to have ’em posted with our group feed:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/steelcitylug/

Rich Millich
    Participant

Another architecture guy! Cool! I’m looking forward to getting tips from you so I can get some new ideas, as I plan on MOCing Nexo Knights into something cooler… eventually. Cheers from one of the Space guys!

Dan
    Participant

Welcome!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar