North Pole Section of Winter Display

Home Forums LUG discussions North Pole Section of Winter Display

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

lol, greg, that’s awesome! way to put your name on that too 🙂

anyone going to have a laptop there on friday for the blue brick file? I’ll try to leave this doc there as a print out, feel free to take your own copy too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A6nuAkb6OO6hCf7GDBd_5FV76Y8gtDmTTA1KtGLosLs/edit?usp=sharing

if you can think of anything else to add for set up, let me know.

Tim

anyone going to have a laptop there on friday for the blue brick file? I’ll try to leave this doc there as a print out, feel free to take your own copy too.

if you can think of anything else to add for set up, let me know.

I’ll bring some of my dark green table skirting. That can go underneath white clothes and provide the “hang down” skirting to cover the underneath sections while the white cloth can cover the top and provide a “snow” look.

Has anyon acquired white flat sheets yet?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

stop making me feel like a n00b

Matt, if you leave a two baseplate area open on top of the mountain and maybe make the top layer of bricks kind of snowy white, we can put Santa’s castle on top of it. I finished the back, top and snow landscaping of the castle this weekend.

Josh
    Keymaster

I’ll bring some of my dark green table skirting. That can go underneath white clothes and provide the “hang down” skirting to cover the underneath sections while the white cloth can cover the top and provide a “snow” look.

Has anyon acquired white flat sheets yet?

how much table skirting do you have?

I looked at sheets, but it was more cost effective to get straight table coverings from amazon for the sizes we needed. They should be here tomorrow for me to check out the quality, but the reviews were good. I also got table skirting to match, but I said in my “setup checklist” to try to use just the table coverings and maybe I’ll return the skirting.

gives us a nice presentation if we decide to continue to do greenberg displays, and gives us flexibility to do our own tables somewhere else. also gives us big backdrops for pictures.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Matt, if you leave a two baseplate area open on top of the mountain and maybe make the top layer of bricks kind of snowy white, we can put Santa’s castle on top of it.

Hmm… it could work… let me see where I am in another day or so. You’re saying 64×32 studs, right? Does that leave a gap in the North Pole section proper?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Yes, its now 32 x 64 and would probably be best if the long edge faced the outside of the table. It is landscaped with white plates at the edge of the baseplates.

When Tim and I were figuring out the North Pole I did not have the warehouse OR the ball machine. So I think it would be awesome on top of the mountain and would be a win-win if it saves you a lot of effort finishing the mountain.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yes, its now 32 x 64 and would probably be best if the long edge faced the outside of the table. It is landscaped with white plates at the edge of the baseplates.

Pix? Just wondering what will be visible from the “town” side of the layout if we go this route; also, if we face the long edge (I’m assuming that’s the front) to the outside of the table, it’ll be above my Father Time, and a little less “connected” to the North Pole section… not sure how that will affect the look / feel of the display…

If we decide to put Santa’s Castle on top, I can work with it; I’m also sure I can finish a mountain without it. I’m just a bit frustrated that due to other life events taking up my time, I’m not as far along as I was hoping. Then again, I knocked out most of Father Time in the last night or two before the DIG install, and he turned out ok…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Pix? Just wondering what will be visible from the “town” side of the layout if we go this route; also, if we face the long edge (I’m assuming that’s the front) to the outside of the table, it’ll be above my Father Time, and a little less “connected” to the North Pole section… not sure how that will affect the look / feel of the display…

If we decide to put Santa’s Castle on top, I can work with it; I’m also sure I can finish a mountain without it. I’m just a bit frustrated that due to other life events taking up my time, I’m not as far along as I was hoping. Then again, I knocked out most of Father Time in the last night or two before the DIG install, and he turned out ok…

I can send some photos of the completed castle later, but you bring up some good points. I forgot about Father Time being underneath and I forgot about how you become a LEGO Superhero in a crunch. If you want to leave a 16×16 flat space on the mountain for the all white Buddhist Temple I built at Barnes & Noble, that would be cool.

Tim

how much table skirting do you have?

Enough to cover all the tables we will be displaying on; perhaps twice over.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

forgot about how you become a LEGO Superhero in a crunch

Yep, that’s me. Procrastination, ftw! Did I ever tell you how I once started a paper at midnight, finished at 4 AM, turned it in the next day, and got a 99% on it?

“Well, if you put enough pressure on coal it turns to pearls!” ~ Effie Trinket, The Hunger Games

If you want to leave a 16×16 flat space on the mountain for the all white Buddhist Temple I built at Barnes & Noble, that would be cool.

Now that’s an interesting alternate idea! I wasn’t saying definitely no to putting Santa’s Castle on top, but I was thinking it may add some complications such that the potential savings might be negated. I’m gonna shoot to get the mountain done without the castle, but if I end up feeling like things aren’t coming together, maybe I’ll still change horses mid-stream (perhaps around 2 AM on Friday…?) and leave the plateau… cool?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I wasn’t saying definitely no to putting Santa’s Castle on top

I know but you brought up some good points about how it would look visually … a sleeping giant under Santa’s Castle would be somewhat disturbing.

Josh
    Keymaster

daddy, is that santa sleeping?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

a sleeping giant under Santa’s Castle would be somewhat disturbing.

daddy, is that santa sleeping?

*shudder*

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Pix?

Castle photos, as requested.

My dear wife was kind enough to decorate the large conical sculpture with about 500 bamboo pieces, 18 white strings and a handful of red “dots.”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Dude. Greg. And Greg’s Wife. That tree. That castle. Wow.

But yeah, I think if we can keep it on the main level of the North Pole village, that’d probably look better than on the mountain… my opinion, anyway. So… I’ll try to make my mountain awesome enough as it is to not need that.

Josh
    Keymaster

I looked at it, I could probably make a truck, but the one in the set is green and it has the big cargo symbol that matches the shelves I made and it has a forklift which matches the one Hanna has.

But I’ve got forklifts, so I should probably be more judicious. I did buy the race car transport truck because the whole thing is green and its bigger and it only cost $25 and it has a red, white and green racecar too! Santa would look HOT in the racecar, even at the North Pole

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=60025-1

only has the logo on one side, but you can swap it around if you want them facing a different angle.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

only has the logo on one side, but you can swap it around if you want them facing a different angle.

Great! We need a road baseplate in front of the warehouse without interfering with the train’s path.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

This has some interesting similarities to our North Pole display while neither is a copy of the other. Oddly, this one does NOT seem to have a LEGO train.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was thinking it would be cool to collaborate with these guys, but it looks like they might be in Europe. Here is where I found their North Pole photos:

DSC_0558_stitch

… or maybe Kansas City. 😛

DSC_0690

DSC_0615_stitch

Tim

Nice display. I really like their interior lighting.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Did everyone have this same idea at the same time because TLG made minifig holiday elves?

http://modelbuildingsecrets.wordpress.com/tag/north-pole/

Greg Schubert
    Participant

There is now a train station for the winter display. I originally had a big clock on the second floor, but it did not look right. Instead, I used four http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4595 to make to each of two smaller clocks.

Attachments:
    Tim

Love it! The interior is very well done and the copula is nicely detailed. I’m looking forward to seeing this in our display.

Josh
    Keymaster

Looks wonderful, Greg.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Thanks guys. I experimented with adding track that is one brick high … I’m eager to get a ton of 16×16 white plates.

The Mrs. says I need to add a chandelier. Hmmm, how would I keep that from falling every time its moved?

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar