Nov. 9-10. Greenberg Toy and Train Show

Home Forums LUG discussions Nov. 9-10. Greenberg Toy and Train Show

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Zemata
    Participant

http://www.greenbergshows.com/

We have been registered to display at the Greenberg Toy and Train show! The event takes place on November 9th and 10th at the Monroeville Convention center. We are claiming two tables at the event to maximize profit. I’ve included two draft designs, let me know which you think would work better for us!

Our main vision thus far has been to make a large town/train display and a second table for our other MOCs. We’ll need everyone to pull their train/town resources and skills together! I assume by the response at our last meeting that everyone is alright with the MILS format. What I need to know is if you are contributing, how many squares you plan on bringing and whether you have any train or track elements to contribute. Once I have some responses I’ll go ahead and make a draft of our tables in bluebrick to show space allotment for each member.

Other things to consider…
    -It would be a huge help if we knew a good way to turn a modular building into a MILS unit. We could fill a lot of space with those!
    -I’m confident I can contribute a good amount of squares, but I’ll need green plates. Anyone care to sell me some or help me acquire some?
    -I’ve heard talks about integrating winter village designs into this layout. That will work fine! We can make snowy borders leading into the winter MILS units (white parts for ground/snow)

I’m pretty excited to hear everyone’s ideas. I’ll update the thread as we go. Let me know if anything’s missing!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’ll have to take stock of my stuff before giving specifics, but I’m definitely planning to contribute. I have substantial monorail track which could be used; Greg and I were throwing around ideas about making Santa’s sleigh on monorail car bases, which could be fantastic. I have train sets but basically no track, so I could prob contribute cars to a Polar Express / present train, but unless I go buy track (not unlikely, given my recent award) I won’t be able to help with that part. I also love the idea of modding a couple of Bag End sets to make a wintry Shire village…

I also love the fact that “modding” passed the intrinsic spell check on our blog. Zook.

Dan
    Participant

I’m also planning to contribute to this display. Don’t know if I have much village material though. Perhaps a small space or castle MOC could be coming (depending on my acquisition of white brick).

Joe
    Participant

I would be able to contribute a few modular buildings, if these are items the LUG could use for this display.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Sweet! I’m psyched too. I don’t hear anybody objecting to MILS either. I would think it would be at least worth trying out to see how we like it. We can always modify it and create our own additional standards down the road if we want.

Here’s a couple things that come to mind right now:

1) Track – Is there a definite decision on track here? 9V or RC? Also, what color? I’m pretty sure RC track only comes in dk blay, but I know 9V track comes in both gray and blay. I am not a big fan of mixing them if it can be avoided. I have both kinds of trains so I could contribute something there (none of them are put together so I would have to build something).

2) Monorail – Matt already mentioned it, so, do we want to set a standard height and entry point? That way people making buildings and whatnot can have it run through or over their stuff if they so desire. There is a standard for monorails in the Moonbase format (I will have to find the standards page for that and add it to Evan’s information links thread) but the Moonbase is based 48-stud baseplates rather than 32-stud likes MILS. I also have several monorail engines and bases, and again I’d have to build something.

3) Baseplates – I was gonna ask if anybody’s done the math but then I just went and got out a ruler and did it myself (you’re welcome). A 32-stud plate is almost exactly 10 inches (very convenient considering they don’t care about non-metric stuff over there) but it’s actually slightly over, so three plates deep on a 30″ table would hang over by about 1.5 studs, which probably isn’t a good idea. I’m guessing that at least on the first time around here, Evan’s problem is going to be not enough material to work with, rather than too much. But I thought it was worth putting the info out there, so nobody comes up with big plans and then discovers they don’t fit on the table. Also, if you’re working in a stretch of table where it’s 30″ deep, there’s easily room to do two 32×32 plates and then add a 32×16 plate, which are plentiful and can easily be incorporated into the MILS format. More complicated, but doable if resources require it (although it may be a headache and Evan may end up wanting to murder me for bringing it up) is that 32×32 plates match up with 48×48 plates on a ratio of 3:2, the latter could easily be MILSed to match up. I only mention it because I have way more 48×48 plates than 32×32, and some of you may be in a similar situation.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing how this goes. I could be wrong, but I am sort of getting the sense that people are waiting to see Evan’s layout proposal before deciding how much they can contribute, and Evan is waiting to see what he has to work with before deciding on a layout, so I’m not sure how that’s going to get resolved.

OK, I’m done. If you actually made it this far, hopefully you’re not regretting letting me come to the meeting last weekend.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

PS – if you haven’t seen Evan’s ‘information thread’ thread yet, the pages for both MILS and train track geometry are very informative, as well as relevant to this dispaly.

Tim

Sweet! I’m psyched too. I don’t hear anybody objecting to MILS either. I would think it would be at least worth trying out to see how we like it. We can always modify it and create our own additional standards down the road if we want.

Agreed. We can always develop our own “Steel City Standard” later.

Here’s a couple things that come to mind right now:

1) Track – Is there a definite decision on track here? 9V or RC? Also, what color? I’m pretty sure RC track only comes in dk blay, but I know 9V track comes in both gray and blay. I am not a big fan of mixing them if it can be avoided. I have both kinds of trains so I could contribute something there (none of them are put together so I would have to build something).

All I have is 9V (track and motors) so all of my stuff will be 9V. I have no opposition with using RC track but my trains will not be able to run on it. As far as color, since this is winter, I was planning on covering most of my track with white plates/tiles, leaving only the rails exposed. Similar to my KidsFest layout where I embedded the track in the street.

3) Baseplates – I was gonna ask if anybody’s done the math but then I just went and got out a ruler and did it myself (you’re welcome). A 32-stud plate is almost exactly 10 inches (very convenient considering they don’t care about non-metric stuff over there) but it’s actually slightly over, so three plates deep on a 30″ table would hang over by about 1.5 studs, which probably isn’t a good idea. I’m guessing that at least on the first time around here, Evan’s problem is going to be not enough material to work with, rather than too much. But I thought it was worth putting the info out there, so nobody comes up with big plans and then discovers they don’t fit on the table. Also, if you’re working in a stretch of table where it’s 30″ deep, there’s easily room to do two 32×32 plates and then add a 32×16 plate, which are plentiful and can easily be incorporated into the MILS format. More complicated, but doable if resources require it (although it may be a headache and Evan may end up wanting to murder me for bringing it up) is that 32×32 plates match up with 48×48 plates on a ratio of 3:2, the latter could easily be MILSed to match up. I only mention it because I have way more 48×48 plates than 32×32, and some of you may be in a similar situation.

For 30″ tables, you generally want to only go two baseplates deep. That leaves room in the front and back of the plates for track (unless the track in built into the baseplates). When you have 60″ to work with (two tables together), five baseplates deep would be best. I feel that it is always good to leave a little room at the front and the back of the table.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing how this goes. I could be wrong, but I am sort of getting the sense that people are waiting to see Evan’s layout proposal before deciding how much they can contribute, and Evan is waiting to see what he has to work with before deciding on a layout, so I’m not sure how that’s going to get resolved.

I think I can contribute a substantial amount to both a Town section and a North Pole/Winter Village section. I already have several large downtown buildings as well as all of the houses from KidsFest (and can build a few more) as well as some modular buildings (anyone else have the Grand Emporium? – we could put a few together for a tall department store). I have brick build roads (in black) that we can use for the downtown section.

Finally, I’m good with doing a two table deep layout.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I don’t hear anybody objecting to MILS …

I am not “objecting”, but I proposed that using something other than a double layer of baseplates to cover the tables would be much less expensive and leave funding for more interesting components. I think it could be a long term goal to make an elaborate surface covering but I think the initial focus should be on the buildings and trains.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

A 32-stud plate is almost exactly 10 inches

When my boys were younger, I set up a 4’x8′ LEGO city in my basement starting with a piece of plywood and a can of green spray paint for a combined cost of $9. Assuming that 10″x10″ baseplates cost $5 each, a quick calculation shows that covering the same area in a double layer of baseplates would cost about $460.

Attachments:
    Tim

I am not “objecting”, but I proposed that using something other than a double layer of baseplates to cover the tables would be much less expensive and leave funding for more interesting components. I think it could be a long term goal to make an elaborate surface covering but I think the initial focus should be on the buildings and trains.

I have a lot of dark green cloth that we could use – see this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41914153@N03/3868415573/ – or we could buy some white flat sheets or tablecloths. As this picture shows, not all of the table needs to be covered in baseplates/Lego. At least some of the train track can just sit on the table surface.

When my boys were younger, I set up a 4′x8′ LEGO city in my basement starting with a piece of plywood and a can of green spray paint for a combined cost of $9. Assuming that 10″x10″ baseplates cost $5 each, a quick calculation shows that covering the same area in a double layer of baseplates would cost about $460.

Using sheets/tablecloths would allow us to use the MILS standard just for the main parts of the display (Town, Winter Village) thus reducing the need to cover the entire table in MILS built baseplates.

MILS is a great starting point. My experience with other layouts is that we will tweak it over time to meet our LUG’s specific needs. I am going to try to work up a few Town modules this weekend and I will post some pictures here for further comment and discussion.

Tim

All I have is 9V (track and motors) so all of my stuff will be 9V. I have no opposition with using RC track but my trains will not be able to run on it. As far as color, since this is winter, I was planning on covering most of my track with white plates/tiles, leaving only the rails exposed. Similar to my KidsFest layout where I embedded the track in the street.

Here is a picture of my “embedded” track – http://www.flickr.com/photos/41914153@N03/8190019240/.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Because it fits the winter theme, I just remembered that we once had a ski jump that my kids loved playing with. (You know its fun when a dolphin on a skateboard goes down.) It was basically a long wall of 1×2 bricks. It would be fun to have an interactive component at a show, but I don’t know how feasible that would be.

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

What, Greg, no Vinko Bogataj? The Agony of Defeat ski jumper from ABC’s Wide World of Sports? Dun DUN dun DUUUUN!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

ideas about making Santa’s sleigh on monorail car bases

What about a brick built clear monorail for Santa? I think 1×2 clear bricks were plentiful in PaB walls at one point, but we might have missed the opportunity to get large quantities of 1×2 clear tiles; there were 50+ in each Falling Water set.

Dan
    Participant

I was confused on my first post in this thread.

There is not enough town in my collection to contribute a baseplate. I’m thinking about ways I could perhaps fit castle ruins or something in.

Josh
    Keymaster

Because it fits the winter theme, I just remembered that we once had a ski jump that my kids loved playing with. (You know its fun when a dolphin on a skateboard goes down.) It was basically a long wall of 1×2 bricks. It would be fun to have an interactive component at a show, but I don’t know how feasible that would be.

we need this. Awesome.

Also, it’s going to be very hard for me to police, so I won’t try, but do try to keep event details in this thread, so evan can have clear answers and questions as he works to lead this event and keep all build/content ideas/updates/etc in this thread http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/every-child-deserves-a-christmas-december-event/

Evan, have you heard back at all with confirmation of space?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

we need this. Awesome.

Seconded.

Also, it’s going to be very hard for me to police, so I won’t try, but do try to keep event details in this thread, so evan can have clear answers and questions as he works to lead this event and keep all build/content ideas/updates/etc in this thread http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/every-child-deserves-a-christmas-december-event/

Complicated.

Tim

Complicated.

Not really. Administrative stuff (who’s attending, etc.) in this thread and layout ideas and discussion in the other thread.

Tim

Other things to consider…<br>
    -It would be a huge help if we knew a good way to turn a modular building into a MILS unit. We could fill a lot of space with those!<br>

You can build supports underneath using 2x plates and tiles. I’ve done this before where I wanted to elevate a building built on a baseplate so that baseplate would be 1 plate/tile above the road (thus forming a curb). I used to have a fair number of these supports but took them apart awhile back. The only problem using this technique to elevate the modular buildings is that you can see the edge of the green baseplate. We could maybe solve that problem by constructing a separate curb. Hard to explain without a picture. Let me see if I can put together a quick study and post some pictures.

Zemata
    Participant

Good ideas in this thread so far guys!

Just to clear up some confusion, one mils square is one baseplate, one brick, and one plate thick total. This gives room to dig down for water and city structures, etc. If we can’t do that over the whole table we can just make a small hill on the borders of squares that aren’t mils or vice versa.

Just so you all know, we are going to need A LOT of 32×32 plates to cover the tables and I plan to scoop up as many as possible on the 15th. I need to know as soon as possible a definite amount of people who are participating so I can make a new draft divided into sections for the participants. If someone wants more or less after that I’ll redo it accordingly.

Let me know, guys! I’m juggling SHIPtember here too!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

we are going to need A LOT of 32×32 plates to cover the tables and I plan to scoop up as many as possible on the 15th. I need to know as soon as possible a definite amount of people who are participating so I can make a new draft divided into sections for the participants.

I’m definitely in for as many baseplates as you guys can buy on Sunday. I.E. – I’ll take a fair share, don’t leave any on the shelves unless we’re talking more than 100… then text me and we’ll talk.

I’m trying to get through this week’s efforts for the gallery, then I’ll turn my attention to the Nov/Dec train shows. I think we’re keeping specific build details on the other thread, but I’ll be in for sure – just a matter of what I can come up with (I have trains, but no tracks or power functions; except for the monorail).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m definitely in for as many baseplates as you guys can buy on Sunday. I.E. – I’ll take a fair share, don’t leave any on the shelves

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Who’s that girl, Greg?

It’s a sound LUG (and general) investment, baseplates…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Who’s that girl, Greg?

Mrs. Gold-Digger … she is after your baseplate money.

Tim

Just so you all know, we are going to need A LOT of 32×32 plates to cover the tables and I plan to scoop up as many as possible on the 15th. I need to know as soon as possible a definite amount of people who are participating so I can make a new draft divided into sections for the participants. If someone wants more or less after that I’ll redo it accordingly.

One thing to point out – we do not HAVE to cover the entirety of every table with baseplates. I’m certainly not planning on having every square inch covered by a baseplate. It is ok to have some table showing, so long as it is covered with a table cloth. Do we know if the show will provide table coverings (like at KidsFest) or do we need to plan to purchase them? If we need to purchase them, I would suggest just buying white flat sheets at Target or WalMart – large and cheap.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar