Philly Brick Fest 2015 – Apr 23-26

Home Forums LUG discussions Philly Brick Fest 2015 – Apr 23-26

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Paula
    Participant

Matt, I think I want to do a pic to brick creation for PBF, but I’ve never purchased through Bricklink, any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Joe
    Participant

Matt- Thanks for the offer, but I’ll just register for the full package, who knows maybe I’ll find a way to make it Thursday as well. I know a five hour drive each way seems like a lot for one day, but I think it has the potential to be TOTALLY worth it. I’m really looking forward to spending the day with fellow AFOL, and talking to builders about their creation.

Ben- I’m not sure if I’ll have anything new/display worthy by then or not but I have been thinking about try to recreate this building from Carson Street in LEGO, I’ll keep you posted. As far as sleeping on floor, it will total be awful, but I’ll manage for a night.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

In case anyone wants to make a roadtrip to York PA and hang out with eastern PA LEGO addicts, PennLUG is having a meeting on Saturday. I will not be going, I’ve got to be at a Science fair at Duquesne. But I get theses emails via their website and wondered if others, @bengood921, might be interested, especially because they are having a tree building contest … and its not too far from HersheyPark and Dutch Wonderland. 🙂

—————
    The PennLUG February 7th 2015 Meeting will be hosted by me in York, PA. The meeting starts at our standard time of 11am but anyone is welcome to come early and hang out. Please RSVP if you are coming. The address is

819 Poff Rd
    York, PA 17406

phone 717 817 9873

email steampoweredbricks@gmail.com

Build Challenge

For this meeting I’m proposing a build challenge. The theme for the challenge will be Trees. You can build a single awesome tree, an entire forest (maybe a forest from an alien world) or interpret in any way you want. As long as it is tree related. There will of course be a trophy for the best MOC voted on by the club. So start growing those trees.

Meeting Topics for Discussion

1. York train show wrap up.

2. Philly Brick Fest – April 23rd to 26th http://2015.phillybrickfest.com

3. Other LEGO fan events – Brickmagic May 7th to 10th http://www.brickmagic.org
    Brickworld June 17th to 21st http://www.brickworld.us
    Brickfair Virginia July 29th to August 2nd http://www.brickfair.com/afol/

4. Possible local events this year.

5. LUG BULK

6. National Toy Train Museum display case in Strasburg

7. Community Window at the King of Prussia LEGO Store.

8. Misc.

And as always bring any MOCs you want to show off and come have some fun.

Cale Leiphart
    PennLUG

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Threadjacker @greg strikes again! And he’s training up acolytes @paulamalu and @team-holp in his vile ways.

I’m just messing with you guys, but seriously. Cut it out. 😉

Greg – I doubt I have a trip to York in me this weekend, although it would be fun to attend a PennLUG meeting someday.

Joe – Good eye; I do the same thing (stop and take pics of cool buildings that might be rad in our displays), but I feel like you’re 99% more likely to follow through on actually building them. But actually, that gives me an idea – what if we created a flickr album of inspirational pics? Doesn’t have to be limited to town display type stuff, either…

Paula – that’s a broad question, and I would suggest we take it off this thread and into a new thread (wait, I think we already have a Bricklink tips thread.) But short answer at what I think would be your primary question: If you use PicToBrick to generate a mosaic, it’ll tell you quantities of each color. I’d recommend creating a Wanted List based on that Bill of Materials, then use the wanted list to find a few stores that will get you what you want. See Josh’s post for some more detail.

Joe
    Participant

Officially Registered!!!

Rick Beideman
    Participant

There is a Spring Hill Suites in Valley Forge/King of Prussia. The address is 875 Mancill Mill Road, King of Prussia, PA 19406

Josh
    Keymaster

hmmm, haven’t been subscribed to this thread apparently. Saw Joe is going for Thursday and Friday on Flickr. I’m registered and still trying to convince the wife to let me go the full time.

Who is in charge of organizing a layout, if anyone?

Tim

Joe, I really like the narrow apartment building. What is going beside it? Another building? Parking?

Joe
    Participant

Thanks, A building based off “south side steaks”. A pic is posted a few post up on this page.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Who is in charge of organizing a layout, if anyone?

We should probably figure that out, eh?

Dan
    Participant

I thought there was a planning thread started for this? I uploaded an initisl BlueBrick file to it a few weeks back…

Dan
    Participant

Here is the planning thread http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/pbf-2015-display-planning/#post-10253

I think that layout is a decent starting point

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Here is the planning thread http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/pbf-2015-display-planning/#post-10253

Yeah, I think we need to keep LAYOUT planning separate from LOGISTICS planning, hence the separate threads. I’ve added notices to the first post on each thread to keep it clear:

NOTE: This thread is for LOGISTICS planning – attendance, hotels, vehicles, etc. See separate thread for DISPLAY planning.

Josh
    Keymaster

Thanks for the clarification.

Sounds like a lot of people are registered and even set for places to sleep. Is there anyone feeling the need to still work out those details? Those 2 hotels right across the street from the convention center were certainly convenient. I’m not sure about price comparisons this year though, just that it was the cheapest as well last year. I’m looking to confirm my attendance by the end of the week and subsequent hotel room. Anyone want in on that action?

Rick Beideman
    Participant

I just booked our hotel. We are staying at:

Courtyard Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern
    280 Old Morehall Road Malvern, PA 19355

This is for Marriott rewards reasons. It was much less points. It is only around 6 miles away.

Rick

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

and subsequent hotel room. Anyone want in on that action?

Depends. But yes.

As of today (EDIT: this was 1/28), while they may not have gotten a block of rooms, I’m seeing availability at both the Hilton Garden and Hampton Inns right by the convention center:

HG $116/night (AAA rate)

Hampton $122/night (AAA)

(Based on 3 nights – Thurs 4/23 thru Sat 4/26)

Sadly, the prices seem to have gone up as of today (2/17), because the Hampton is now showing as $149/night for the 1 King, 1 bedroom suite w/ kitchenette. I’d still consider it just because it was so close, but the $119/night Homewood Suites with the BFL rate does look better in comparison than it did vs. the prices I saw a few weeks ago.

I seem to only have enough Hilton/Hampton (same hotel family) points for maybe one night. So that doesn’t get us far. Unless we have other options to get free rooms, I’m thinking the BFL rate and location is the next best thing to the ones right by the Convention Center – Google Maps shows a 7 minute drive from the BFL rate Homewood Suites to the CC. I have NOT reserved a room yet, but am willing to do so within the next few days and am willing to share with up to 3 other people (assuming we get a King bed + foldout couch like last year) and also to let Joe have the floor if need be.

To help keep logistics straight (and also because spreadsheets are fun!), I took the liberty of creating a spreadsheet. Check it out, confirm your info, edit if necessary (example: I put default answers of NO for Paula, Rick, and Micah for adding passengers to cars or sleepers to their hotel rooms, but if yinz feel like sharing, you can change those answers.) I feel like it’ll be a lot simpler to keep the final answers there rather than try to back-read the thread repeatedly to confirm things.

Josh, if you go, will you be solo, or with family? Right now, assuming Paula & her friend and Beidemans are each doing their own thing, we have Ben / Tim / Dan / Matt / Joe (one night only?) who need a room – could *probably* make that work in one room if we wanted to be frugal and get to know each other better…but if Josh is also looking to share a room, I’d think we’d be better off splitting that 5/6 people into two rooms.

…wait, @zemata and @kristen-s are going, right? RIGHT?!?!?!

Zemata
    Participant

eeeehhhhhh dunno

If Josh is going all 4 days and wants to split a hotel again with us I’m down. Requesting off work may be iffy for me but I think I can make it work.

Josh
    Keymaster

room booked at the PBF Homewood suites, Thursday night through sunday morning. King and a living room with pull out.

Guest name: Josh HAll
    Stay dates: 23 Apr 2015 – 26 Apr 2015
    Total for stay: $385.56 USD

Dan expressed interest, Joe is covered here too.

Matt, tim? Yinz need a place to rest your head?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’m in on that room unless we add numbers and need to get another room. If we split four ways (i.e. Josh + Dan + Matt + Tim), that’s < $100 / person for three nights… and if Joe chips in a lil bit for one or two nights, it brings it down even more.

Joe
    Participant

Yep, I’m in for Thursday and Friday night just let me know what I owe. thanks….

Paula
    Participant

We’ll be in the Hilton Garden Inn, we are checking in on Wednesday. I think we’d like to go King of Prussia and check out the Lego Store that night.

There’s also a lego exhibit at The Franklin called The Art of The Brick. We ordered tickets for Friday night, they were about $20
    https://www.fi.edu/exhibit/art-brick

Josh
    Keymaster

We’ll be in the Hilton Garden Inn, we are checking in on Wednesday. I think we’d like to go King of Prussia and check out the Lego Store that night.

There’s also a lego exhibit at The Franklin called The Art of The Brick. We ordered tickets for Friday night, they were about $20

https://www.fi.edu/exhibit/art-brick

Yes! I was going to bring this up! Which session did you get tickets for? I’d say let’s have a LUG dinner on Friday together and anyone going to this show can go either before or after.

Zemata
    Participant

Kristen and I just got our tickets. We have access to a discounted hotel and I got my new Escape if anyone wants to carpool

Paula
    Participant

We got the later tickets for friday, I think 5-9pm. It will take maybe half hour to get downtown philly?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Paula.
    Josh
    Keymaster

There are options…which did you choose?

Afternoon
    5:00 PM 5:30 PM

Evening
    6:00 PM 6:30 PM 7:00 PM 7:30 PM

probably doesn’t matter, more likely for crowd control and fire hazards, but still worth trying to make it the same.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar