Philly Brick Fest April 2014

Home Forums LUG discussions Philly Brick Fest April 2014

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Sadly, just because an event is in the same state, does not mean that it is closer:

http://events.pe.com/upper_providence_pa/events/show/330614683-philly-brick-fest-2014

I am not sure who is organizing Philly Brick Fest but my guess that its the nearby LUGS and not the Brickfair franchise.

Tim

Interesting. There is nothing on PennLUG’s calendar on their website. I could not log into their forums as I was listed as “inactive”. Since that is using the “BrickFest” name rather than “BrickFair”, this may be a WAMALUG driven convention.

Quick history lesson for anyone interested (or see Wikipedia here – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrickFest). The original Lego fan convention was BrickFest and it was put on by WAMALUG (Washington Metro Area Lego Users Group) starting back around 2000. The convention was held in mid-August at George Mason University in northern Virginia, and it quickly became very popular. Several members of WAMALUG everntually trademarked the name “BrickFest” and expanded in 2004 to another convention in Portland (“Brickfest PDX”). In 2005 and 2006, it was back in Virginia. In 2007 and 2009, it was held in Portland and 2009 was the last BrickFest. In years when BrickFest was in Portland, there was no Virginia based convention. To fill the gap, BrickFair was created and has been going every year in Virginia since 2008.

Also, Greg, nice new avatar. I assume that is you, yes?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greg, nice new avatar. I assume that is you, yes?

I made a wish upon a star and became a REAL boy. 🙂

Josh
    Keymaster

I remember some of the pennlug guys talking about it at kidsfest…but they were talking april 2013, and the website verified that then…

I’m curious to see how this one develops.

Tim

I’m curious to see how this one develops.

Me too. I think I could sqeeze in two conventions a year (where I would have to travel that is). After Brickfair in northern Virginia (approx. 4.5 hours), what would be the closest convention? Brickworld in Chicago would be 8 hours. Toronto has a convention (I can’t recall the name) and that would be 6 hours. Does anyone know of a convention in either Columbus or Cincinatti?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Tim.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Does anyone know of a convention in either Columbus or Cincinatti?

Its not a LEGO convention, but the NMRA convention was held in Cinci and it featured the “largest LEGO train layout” up until that day. I put a video of it featuring Paul Janssen in another thread. Now I see on youtube that he was also on TedxOhioStateUniversity:

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Tim

Toronto has a convention (I can’t recall the name) and that would be 6 hours.

It’s probably bad form to qupte oneself, but I just remembered that the Toronto convention is called BrickFete and is in mid-July (11-14 this year).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Of course you would think the weather would be cooler there in July than it is here, but it looks like they are having the same weather as we are this week.

Anyway haven’t passports been required to return from Canada … since about 9/11/01?

Josh
    Keymaster

yup. who has a problem with getting a passport? Soldier?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

who has a problem with getting a passport?

At this point in my life, I would not go through the rigamaroll and cost for a passport just to see Toronto. (I guess I am poiled in that I went to many countries around the Caribbean, North Atlantic and Mediterranean without a passport.)

Josh
    Keymaster

heh. touche.

Mike macleod (delvalug/pennlug) emailed me and asked us if we were thinking about going. He’s meeting the organizer at the next pennlug meeting in august. I told him i wouldn’t be surprised if we make some sort of appearance. I’ve got friends all around the area for potential free room/board.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I think the next meeting is a week from today in Carlisle where they will begin planning for Philly. It would be nice to go to the meeting, my parents live an hour from there.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

From Arthur’s interview that Josh found (Beyond the Brick – Arthur Gugick,) it seems that the North East Ohio LUG (NEOLUG) is having an event of their own sometime next year: it will be held at Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, 714 N Portage Path, Akron, OH 44303 which is about two hours away from Pittsburgh.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Anyway haven’t passports been required to return from Canada … since about 9/11/01?

Actually, not really – I got back into the States from Canada as recently as October, 2008 with just my driver’s license and birth certificate. It was shortly after that when the passport became required. And I think you can still get between US & CAN with a NEXUS card (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/227/kw/nexus%20card / http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/nexus_prog/nexus.xml).

Tim

This weekend, I met and spoke with Chad Collins, the organizer of Philly BrickFest which will be in late April 2014. The registration is $60 and it will follow the BrickFair model of Thursday-Friday registrants only events and Saturday-Sunday public hours. The website is http://www.phillybrickfest.com

Josh
    Keymaster

one of the pennlug guys told me to send chad an email to make sure the lug got on his list. Did you exchange info with him at all?

Tim

Yes, I gave him our LUG business card and also my personal email.

BTW, do you have more business cards? If so, can you bring them on August 24? I’m just about out (and Evan told me he handed out most of his cards during BrickFair also). Thanks!

Josh
    Keymaster

noted.

also added the event to our calendar….as if anyone uses that.

Josh
    Keymaster

though not a great deal if you don’t care about a T shirt, there’s a groupon for the event:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/philly-brick-fest-5?sm=1&suppress_choke=TRUE&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=nan&utm_campaign=US_DT_SOM_NAN_JPG_TTT_RS_CBP_CH1_NBR_x*101237426_c*dealvisitor_m*ArtsandEntertainment&nan_pid=1146450999

it’s $12 at the door, so it’s a pricey tshirt apparently. but, if we work the system, buying from eachother’s links, we could end up getting free tickets through the groupon……….
    ….

…are we even going to this?

Tim

…are we even going to this?

Since this is a brand new event, I don’t think we need to make any final decisions until early next year. I don’t think I will know my availability until at least January. I am open to considering attending this event if others are interested as well. I will say that the public hours after awhile can be a bit of a drag so having longer public hours (longer than BF Virginia) is not necessarily a selling point for me personally. However, conventions are always fun. I say put it on the calendar for the 1Q meeting to discuss.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I am interested in going to this event. Even if the Steel City LUG decides not to go, I will probably go on my own, my whole family still lives in Lancaster and so that’ll make it easier for me to travel there.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

my whole family still lives in Lancaster

Dude, I grew up in the Lampeter-Strasburg school district, where did you go to school?

Josh
    Keymaster

speaking of the devil, Chad emailed me saying he’d be in Pittsburgh next Tuesday, the 29th and wanted to know if I could meet up with him at night. I work, so I said I couldn’t, but perhaps someone else could.

I come in the 29th and plan on staying the night in the City. I could probably work it out so I could meet with you for breakfast on the 30th, in addition to meeting with someone else on the 29th of you want. It would be great to meet up with you and I can fill you in on some new details about PBF!

Have you guys decided on the size of your club layout? We started working on the floor plan last week.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Chad emailed me saying he’d be in Pittsburgh next Tuesday, the 29th

Is Chad from PennLUG?

Josh
    Keymaster

Chad’s the one running the fest. I’m not sure what his involvement is with pennlug, if at all.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar