Philly Brick Fest April 2014

Home Forums LUG discussions Philly Brick Fest April 2014

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Totally your call; it’s sitting in its box in my sun room (but not directly in the sun), which sees limited use until at least April, so it’s fine there for now. But if you want to meet up to get it back, just say when.

Haven’t looked at hotels; thinking about mooching sleepspace/showers at one of several friends’ places who live out that way. But haven’t pursued that yet. I know when the PennLUG guys came to KidsFest, they got a few rooms and piled in for quadruple (or more?) occupancy to save money… not sure if we’re all that good of friends, but it’s an option…

Zemata
    Participant

I think my car is going to explode or die soon so I’d like to carpool with someone. I’m taking Kristen with me and we’re planning on attending all 4 days (unless no one can drive us over on thursday). I can split gas/driving with you if you’d like.

I plan on taking my SHIP and all my robots. Not building anyhting new, too busy. We are also in need of a hotel or place to stay. We can get a room but are willing to split with someone to save money.

Some other thoughts. If you’ve never been to a con before (especially a 4 day one) the biggest obstacle you’ll encounter is foraging for food. Keep that in mind. Bring lots of money because there will be shwag. Also if any one is bringing any minifig scale space ships, one would look sweet on some trans bricks parked next to my SHIPs fuel module.

I think that’s everything. Now to save money and wait.

Tim

Tim – probably can’t attend, but will build a RED CASTLE

If I can have the Red Castle (for Cranberry Library display) ready in time, it can go to PBF with someone. I can also contribute some town buildings and my Tardis (which can go in ANY scene) as needed.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

my Tardis … as needed

It seems that what is needed is a REAL Tardis to transport MOC’s.

Julia
    Participant

My car can certainly transport MOCs – although it’s a Honda Civic so it’s somewhat volume-challenged.

Tim

Honda Civic – smaller on the inside than on the outside. 😀

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Tim wrote:
    my Tardis … as needed

It seems that what is needed is a REAL Tardis to transport MOC’s.

Nick – probably will attend, could drive, has TARDIS to fit all kinds of people, luggage, and MOCs

Reading is fundamental, Greg. 😉

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I think my car is going to explode or die soon so I’d like to carpool with someone. I’m taking Kristen with me and we’re planning on attending all 4 days (unless no one can drive us over on thursday).

I really wish it weren’t so, but I have meetings on Thursday here in Pittsburgh that I just won’t be able to get out of, which means I’ll likely have to drive all by my lonesome (unless some of yinz want to ride out on Thursday evening…)

Josh
    Keymaster

Matt, you pulling together a layout plan for this? taking inventory of what and who is going?

Who all is registered to attend? I saw on facebook they’re needing to finalize games, badges, etc – so time is off the essence. remember to use “pennlug” for the discount code.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Theoretically, yes, I’m doing all the things.
    In actuality, I’ve been having some issues, personally, these past few weeks, so I’ve been a bit lax in my duties for PBF and LVRR.

So yeah, let’s get cracking.

Tim – probably can’t attend, but will build a RED CASTLE
    Dan W. – probably will attend, will build (Monorail… Monorail…… Monorail!!!)
    Nick – probably will attend, could drive, has TARDIS to fit all kinds of people, luggage, and MOCs
    Ben – can’t go
    Doug – …… can we take your BLUE CASTLE?!
    Rich – can’t go, probably can’t contribute to display
    Evan – definitely going, will take robots, might help build other stuff
    Julia – probably attending, could take ship in a bottle
    Matt – attending (but can’t be there Thursday), will build collab, trying for a MOC too
    Greg – you know you wanna go and take your YELLOW CASTLE!!
    Josh – you know you wanna go and build a SAND RED CASTLE!!!

Eighteen days later, and a mere 33 days before the event, does anyone on the list have an update to your attendance / contribution status? Does anyone not on the list want to be on it?!

I will start pulling things together more cohesively, but I will need some details on what people are bringing and how big it will be. I speculated above that we could get the primary colored castles, and some other builds, together – but nobody confirmed. In all seriousness, please do let me know what you all plan to do, so we can get the planning going for reals.

time is off the essence

Your typos never cease to amuse me, Joshy.

Dan
    Participant

I just registered for PBF, although I haven’t (yet) confirmed that I can take these days off. As Matt stated I am planning to take a monorail MOC and sufficient track to set up a layout (I need to know how large the table area will be). My MOC currently is 3 x 32 by 2 x 32 studs in size. The track leading into this will require more space (for a switch).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greg – you know you wanna go and take your YELLOW CASTLE!!

If someone is willing to haul the castle round trip, they may. Honestly, I’m not interested in making the trip myself.

Dan
    Participant

What days are people heading out? I’ll need a ride out and back (I’d like to go all 4 days). I’ll also need a hotel/place to stay. Evan I would be willing to get a 2bd hotel if that’s what we need.

I’m planning on filling one 2×3 space and some configuration of 3×3 (sizes in 32×32 plates). It’s all space industrial designed around the monorail. Between Matt and I we can have at least one loop of monorail track.

Last idea: how many people (especially those who are unable to attend) are interested in building a monorail train? I can provide basic train bodies to those who are interested. (Supplies are limited!)

Dan
    Participant

Current prototype power line for the plant.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Dan.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

you bought some of those red supports! want my silver painted ones? 😀

Dan
    Participant

Haha I think I’ll be alright.

I’m thinking some 2×2 round white plates between each support would improve the tower a bit

Josh
    Keymaster

Win a “Rocky” for bringing the best MOC in the following categories:

• Philly
    • Space
    • Train
    • Steampunk
    • Building/Structure
    • Bionicle
    • Military/Historical
    • Most Creative

**Additionally**, the LEGO Super Heroes team will be sponsoring a yearlong competition to celebrate super heroes and more specifically the 75th anniversary of Batman™. Luckily for us, Philly Brick Fest will be the first convention of the year to host this contest. There will be 1 “winner” from each AFOL Convention, this individual/MOC will then be considered a “Semi Finalist” in the year long competition.

If you are interested, build something that celebrates Batman in honor of the character’s 75th anniversary, bring the creation to Philly Brick Fest to compete against others doing the same. The winner of this contest will receive a prize package consisting of the 2014 first wave of DC Comics Super Heroes products directly from the LEGO Group!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m not sure if yinz’re all leaving tonight or tomorrow, but it’s gotta be soon. I hope everything goes well this weekend and I’m looking forward to hearing about it and seeing the display, so feel free to post updates and pics here if you have time on your laptops after hours. I wish I was going along, sorry I couldn’t contribute this time. Steel City LUG represent!

Josh
    Keymaster

First day done. Matts not getting here until midnight. Evan won 2 sets already in games. I rebuilt the cathedral again! More spare parts…

Greg, tips for flag placement? Great packing job! Not sure how to attach the round turrets or the tops on them. Their snug enough under the roof.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greg, tips for flag placement? Great packing job! Not sure how to attach the round turrets or the tops on them. Their snug enough under the roof.

Hey Josh, thanks for taking the yellow castle. As far as packing, I finally figured out that lifting buildings in and out of boxes is more tenuous than sliding them.

As you’ve guessed, I did not attach things too well in the gatehouse – you are correct, the turrets just rest on top of the cylinders which nest against the gatehouse. The best advice I can offer for flags is to go by photos of how I had things setup here, but you can have all the creative license you want. 🙂

Attachments:
    Nick Chen
    Participant

I built a monorail car using some spare parts from Matt’s box of Monorail and unitron elements. I built it to mount my GoPro so we could get POV of the car running along our three tiered monorail track.

Tim

Very cool, Nick! That is like being on a roller coaster. I really like the view going around Evan’s robots – it makes them look HUGE. Also, that is an impressive amount of monorail track, Dan. Overall, the layout is looking outstanding. Great job guys! Wish I could be there. Looking forward to more pics & video from PBF. “Feed us, Seymour!” 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Sweet! Things are looking good. I definitely enjoyed the video.

I’ve actually seen people mount a camera on the monorail and then have it feed live to some sort of display like an ipad, so during public hours the people can watch it as it drive around and it’s pretty cool. I don’t know if you guys have the necessary stuff to set that up this time around, but it’s something to consider. I do not have that kind of stuff myself, but for future reference, if it’s something you’re intersted in pursuing, if I have the camera specs, I can come up with a monorail that does a good job of holding the camera so it doesn’t fall off or donk into stuff, and still allows for easy camera access and removal.

Post more pics!

Greg Schubert
    Participant
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

So the public hours are probably winding down soon and you guys are thinking about packing up. I hope it all went well. I did a Philly Brickfest search on flickr to see if there’s any good early pics but not much has been posted yet.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar