Pittsburgh Dad

Home Forums LUG discussions Pittsburgh Dad

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Got this email today:

Hello! My name is Chris Preksta, the director of the Pittsburgh Dad show. We working on an episode about The Lego Movie and are looking to recreate our show intro (http://youtu.be/o255ZQkqhMw) with Lego. I’m writing to inquire if your group has any displays of a Lego neighborhood or houses that we could possibly film.

I was browsing your Flickr Feed. Very impressive work!

Thank you,

Chris

I’ll reach out for time frame and some other details. Sounds like a fun thing!

test
    Participant

Oh man! If I didn’t have an office mate, I’d totally be squealing out loud! I love Pgh Dad! And how awesome would it be for us to have our creations in the intro??????

Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julia
    Participant

So cool! We can’t say no to this!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Ha, I’m totally in for Pittsburgh Dad too.

Josh
    Keymaster

I replied and said I’m sure we have what he needs. I also said, if he has a few weeks, we could probably recreate each of the 4 houses and the title in LEGO. If anyone wants to lay claim to one of those, the sooner the better. Maybe he’ll just want some quick houses, but could be fun to make it as accurate as possible. I also said we have some other Pittsburgh landmarks at his disposal.

Josh
    Keymaster
    Josh
    Keymaster

Hi Josh,

Thanks for such a quick response and really appreciate the offer to help. Unfortunately, we didn’t think of this idea until last minute (yesterday at midnight to be precise) and the episode is set to release this Wednesday morning. But your offer to possibly recreate the intro completely got me thinking. Would your group be up for a larger collaboration of recreating an entire Pittsburgh Dad episode with Lego? With your groups help recreating the sets, we could take 10-15 classic Dad jokes and stop motion animate them. Could be a neat episode for our fans and a great way to highlight the killer work you guys are doing. We can discuss details, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there to see if you’re interested.

Thanks!

Chris

1. Does anyone have a few houses for me to offer him the chance to still do the intro for tomorrow night?
    2. Anyone have any experience in stop motion? It sounds like we’ll just have to build the set, so I’ll ask for some pictures.

Anything else we want to know?

Tim

I’m in. Sign me up for the intro (houses), etc. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The advantage of doing the show with stop motion minifigs way is that you could have almost any celebrity be on the show, including Batman, Darth Vader, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, NBA athletes, etc. without the cost of paying a real person.

However, stop motion takes a LONG time … this is a job for someone who has a lot of time on their hands, ex. is not old enough to drive.

I would suggest recruiting an expert via the internet to do the stop motion animation. All you would need to send the animator is the sound track and they could do the rest.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Oh man! If I didn’t have an office mate, I’d totally be squealing out loud!

Why should that stop you?

I was driving back from Ohio today and dialed in to a conference call, and suddenly burst out singing a song that’s been stuck in my head… true story. Granted, I was on mute…

Re: PGH Dad sigfigs – man, that first one is close, but looks super old. Lotta gray in those heads, actually. Is that Commissioner Gordon? Honestly, the last one might be the closest… still gray though.

Bummer that they gave us no time to make this awesome thing happen. But we could still make a different version of an awesome thing happen with the stop motion… Greg’s right though, it’s a time consumer.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I haven’t had a chance to look at the sigfigs, but I will eventually.

I haven’t gone back to watch any more Pittsburgh Dad because I’ve been busy and I know once I watch one, I’ll watch them all. But in the ones I saw, it’s basically Pittsburgh Dad standing around saying stuff. It is also not super-duper hifalootin production values. So you should ask them exactly what they have in mind, since they obviously have experience making videos, I would not be surprised if they’re hoping to animate it themselves, and just want us to supply the buidings and set.

Josh
    Keymaster

yeah, this is what I said Monday night:

Lol, you guys run a tight ship! 😛

I think a stop motion episode sounds like a lot of fun. A few members have shown great interest already, so I’m sure they’d be up for building anything you’d need. If you could provide some still photos or even specific video links of the scenes you want us to build ,we can get started.

Have you done stop motion before? I know LEGO has some free tools to create them, but if you’re comfortable with doing it on your own, rock on.

I figure he didnt respond yet since he has yet to publish the episode today, so perhaps he has been working on editing or something. I figure I’ll give him some time to come back.

Josh
    Keymaster

Well…I’m not sure, but perhaps we missed this opportunity by not acting fast enough. It appears chris made his own houses (and did an amazing job! Afol material???) and published the new episode with the intro. I just sent him an email apologizing if I let him down. I thought we switched gears from the intro to the stop motion idea.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The episode is here and it’s hilarious:

He did do a good job on the intro. I wonder if a lot of people were like me, thinking in terms of modular scale, if not as detailed as the sets, and actually watching the real intro and trying to match up the buildings as best as possible. His solution is much simpler (and easier) but very effective.

I’d still ask him if he’s interested in a stop-motion set and if we can have a bigger time frame on it.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Doh, apparently I was on a link for his entire playlist, but as of right now, the Lego Movie is first and should be for at least a week.

Josh
    Keymaster

phew! All is not lost!

Oh, no worries at all. We are definitely still planning on doing a full episode in Lego. (We’ve even had a few fans suggest it after seeing today’s episode) The intro for this Lego Movie episode was just me throwing some houses together knowing it would only be a 4 second shot. Borrowed a few boxes of Lego from friends so it all worked out better than I hoped.

Re: the stop motion episode. We’ll likely select 10 – 15 classic Dad jokes from previous episodes and recreate them in Lego. There is no pressing deadline for this, just a neat episode idea we can release whenever it’s finished.

He asked if we could do lunch, so I’ll schedule that and let you know how that goes. Let me know if you have anything you want me to convey.

So, greenlight for house recreation, sigfig, and SNOT/brickbuilt “Pittsburgh Dad” font.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

“Dad” is missing the Picksburg pronunciation of LayGo. However he makes the same point that I made a year ago: a sheet of plywood that is 4’x 8′ costs five bucks but covering the same area using a double layer of baseplates costs hundreds of dollars.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

That is not an accurate analogy at all.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

That is not an accurate analogy at all.

What are you saying exactly? Visually the sheet of green cardboard that my towns were built on for years was no less visually appealing than the huge 48×48 baseplates covered with white bricks that we used for the snow covered barrens in the Polar Express display.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Wrong. I’m not even interested in debating this. Cardboard looks inferior. If you don’t wanna baseplate it landscape what you build etc, you don’t have to, but don’t think that it looks as good, because it doesn’t. And I plan to continue to MILS my plates and I’m not interested in hearing that I’m wasting my own or LUG resources in doing so.

Josh
    Keymaster

lol, yinz play nice, k?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

He did do a good job on the intro. I wonder if a lot of people were like me, thinking in terms of modular scale, if not as detailed as the sets, and actually watching the real intro and trying to match up the buildings as best as possible. His solution is much simpler (and easier) but very effective.

Oh, yeah. That Turner’s 8-bit style logo… so good.

Best part of all: the subtle Val Kilmer / Batman joke… oh man, oh man. I was ROTFLOLZORZ. XD

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I mispoke, it wasn’t cardboard, it was plywood. Last year the LUG was supposed to cover 100 ACTUAL square feet for the train show. Even approximating a baseplate as one square foot, and baseplates costing $5 each, a double layer of baseplates to cover that area would have been over a thousand bucks! My contention is that a thousand bucks of flat landscape does not have the same visual appeal as a thousand bucks worth of buildings on top of tablecloths.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

here’s what I came up with. from most liked to least left to right.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    David H Donley
    Participant

The first face with the hair from the second.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar