Q2 2015 build challenge – in the limelight

Home Forums MOCs Build challenges! Q2 2015 build challenge – in the limelight

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

We’ve got too much lime. Plates and brick. Posting this now to get your ideas formed for brick orders and ready for Q1 redemption.

Smallest set will go to best use of the color lime

Greg Schubert
    Participant

What if we build our own Statue of Liberty out of lime?

Orrr, you know how there is that bust of Darth Maul? We could make one out of Lime for Voldemort. 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Wait, we don’t just get a bag of lime like we did with the doors?

Rich Millich
    Participant

Note: trans-neon green is an excellent fit with lime.

Josh
    Keymaster

If anyone wants to take the role of criteria and judging this, let me know.

Josh
    Keymaster

Wait, we don’t just get a bag of lime like we did with the doors?

No, but, perhaps that will happen if we continue to get lime and no one redeems.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I don’t plan to enter this, so I’d be willing to be the judge, unless nobody likes that idea or somebody else really wants to do it. I’d be willing to waive my usual $5000 appearance fee, and instead you guys can compensate me by giving me the big box of Duplos that Hinkle sent. OK fine, I’ll do it for free. But if Josh starts giving out free bags of lime bricks, I definitely still want a bag. If it looks like I am in fact going to be the judge, you probably shouldn’t tell me what you’re working on or post pics ahead of time, that way you don’t have to worry about me voting against you because I don’t like you (although if there is a lime sexy robot, it’s not gonna take expert detective work to figure out who built it).

I’d suggest giving out two winners – Best Build, and Best Use of Lime. The Best Build would be so that people who wanna build stuff like spaceships or trucks that could just as easily work in other colors (off the top of my head, all the common lime pieces are just as easily available in other major colors) are not discouraged from doing so if they wish. The Best Use of Lime is pretty self-explanatory, for builds that are lime-specific and wouldn’t make sense in another color.

An optional third prize would be Worst Use of Lime, in which the builder deliberately builds something out of lime that totally should not be, such as Greg’s Statue of Liberty and Darth Maul suggestions.

I just scrolled up and it looks like Josh is only offering one prize, based on his initial post it would go to Best Use of Lime. The other two would just get bragging rights, unless somebody wants to build trophies out of lime, which, according to Josh, we have plenty of.

Rich Millich
    Participant

A spotlight built using mostly lime parts?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Note: trans-neon green is an excellent fit with lime.

Not according to some of @randomdan’s critics, Rich.

@greg
    – Why?

Attachments:
    Aaron Gomez
    Participant

I’d suggest giving out two winners – Best Build, and Best Use of Lime.

An optional third prize would be Worst Use of Lime, in which the builder deliberately builds something out of lime that totally should not be, such as Greg’s Statue of Liberty and Darth Maul suggestions.

All three judging categories sound good, especially if we can get a prize for Best Build and Worst Use. 😉

Josh
    Keymaster

just for clarification, especially since I fubared the Q1 title originally, this challenge is for Q2, as in april, may, june. I just wanted people to have a heads up to redeem lime bricks in Q1.

Q1 build challenge is here – http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/q1-2015-snotty/

Dan
    Participant

Not according to some of @randomdan‘s critics, Rich.

I think they were referring specifically to the lime 2×2 on a trans-neon green cupola. It does look ugly.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I think they were referring specifically to the lime 2×2 on a trans-neon green cupola. It does look ugly.

Indeed. I suppose as long as they’re separated by white or black or some other dissimilar color, they might look fine… but directly adjacent? ***shudder***

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Is there any lime parts to redeem other than basic brick?

Josh
    Keymaster

I believe 1×2 and 1×4 plate. There are a handful or so of 1x2x2 panels too.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Pretty sure I personally sorted put a big bag of lime 1×1 round plates.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

We can always do something like this:

Abyssian

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Actually this guy should be the judge:

Does it come in lime?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Apparently these people also had a lime surplus they needed to get rid of:

BrickMagic 2011

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
    (I’d put a cool signature here but I wasn’t smart enough to figure out how to do it on this site.)

Josh
    Keymaster

OK, ben, you still good to take charge in the categories and judging?

prizes available to your discretion – 1 large pab, smallest available set, and the entire LUG inventory of lime 1x brick. Dave suggested every participant get a share of it, so everyone is a winner.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Ummmm… no. I thought I’d mentioned this on the q2 thread, I will be out of town that entire weekend. Somebody else will have to take over on this one.

Dan
    Participant

Can we take pics of the builds and send them to you, Ben? Then you judge and respond while we’re still at Josh’s?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I would think it’s a lot easier to judge stuff in person than by photo. Since it’s an option for you guys, I would think you’d wanna take advantage of that. I’m sure there’ll be more contests in the future and that I’ll volunteer again.

More importantly, at least this time around, is that I won’t be available for something like that on Saturday. We’re traveling to Lancaster for family stuff and we’ll be busy all that day.

Duncan
    Participant

Maybe a life size Lego Kermit.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I did not see any other posts about entries for the lime competition but below is what I would have brought if I had been able. And yes, it did already appear on another thread somewhere.

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar