Q3 2014 business meeting scheduling

Home Forums LUG discussions Q3 2014 business meeting scheduling

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

None of this is news to me so I’m curious as to how you guys were doing it ‘wrong’.

I did a parts draft of a Prince of Persia set in 2010 at BrickFair, and this is pretty much how we did it. Part of it though is that there’s no set rules and the people involved can make decisions on the spot as they wish. For example we did not assemble the guys, so the heads were a lot, the capes were a lot, etc, but I remember discussing if we wanted to do that way and I think we voted on it. We also broke down lots that would be either super huge – that set comes with tons of tan 2×2 corner bricks, so we broke them into multiple lots – or very desirable – instead of one lot of nine camels, there were three lots of three camels. The idea was not for somebody in the group to feel like they ‘won’ by drawing a higher number in the order and then got the better lots but rather that everybody paid the same to participate (to buy their set) and everybody left feeling like they got their money’s worth back out, and then some cause they got the stuff they wanted and not the stuff they didn’t. I know I did.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Right, so things of great value or rarity (minifigs, camels) would get broken down into more lots of smaller quantities so they’re more closely equivalent to the value of the basic brick / plate / greebly part lots. But what if there are other large lots (i.e. – a black 1×2 brick where there are 12 / set, vs. a lime green 1×2 brick which is only 1 / set)? Seems like the lots would still be unbalanced. Or do you base the lots on X number of sets in the draft (in which case, there would be 12 identical lots of X black 1×2 bricks, and one lot of X lime 1×2 brick…)?

Obviously, it’s not all about the monetary value of the parts, but that is a reasonable indicator of the rarity / difficulty to acquire the part in large quantities. I would think that there’s a way to do it where the lots are reasonably balanced, but I’m not sure I agree with every one of a specific piece (part & color) being thrown into one lot (depends on the qty/set, rarity, value, etc.)

Then again, we had a hard enough time finding one set that people even wanted to part out, and that was a year and a half ago. I’m not sure how often we’ll be drafting in the near future, but evidence indicates not very. Or maybe the issues (including having to finish outside the Cranberry Library in winter, and someone who shall remain nameless dropping a tray into the snow) are why we haven’t done more drafts…

Zemata
    Participant

I’ll bring food for myself. I ain’t down with no chipotl

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’ll bring food for myself. I ain’t down with no chipotl

Haven’t you read the LUG Bylaws? “Failure to comply with the will of the masses and/or our Fearless Leader is grounds for removal from the park.”

Josh, we got enough for the catering yet? 16 on the Doodle…

Josh
    Keymaster

Chipotle is confirmed. Evan, have you ever tried it??? I mean, it’s no Moe’s….

So, I uploaded the agenda, but here’s a quick rundown of what will happen next satuday:

Dave’s leading the Tanger outlet mall event from 12-5. You have your choice of staffing that event and earning a half cup credit, or you can show up at my house after 1 for some socializing, setting up for the redemption, and sorting.

I’ll get a list of who is at the outlets from Dave, and whoever else is at my house by 4p will be put into the hourly drawing for sets. Your name will be entered into the pool once you show up. The first drawing will be at 4pm.

Chipotle will need picked up at 5.

Plan to start eating by 5:30.

Plan to start the meeting by 6p

I have 120 minutes of topics that I will try my darnedest to get through as fast as I can. Ask questions in the threads before hand and prepare yourselves with the agenda to help make that go quicker, please.

by 8, we’ll start the birthday party with year in review, awards, and the speed draft.

by 9, we’ll do the redemption.

That will be the only scheduled activities for the night. Any one who wants to stay longer will be welcome to help put things back on shelves, sort, socialize, or whatever you want.

Sound like a plan?

David H Donley
    Participant

Awww, can’t the people staffing the Tanger event have their names added to the hourly draw?

Dan Waksman
    Participant

Sounds awesome and I’m looking forward to meeting everyone! How does a speed draft work?

Dave, you do, I think you just missed Josh’s comment. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Ask questions in the threads before hand

Amen!

by 9, we’ll do the redemption

Hallelujah!

setting up for the redemption, and sorting

“… he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” Matthew 3:12

David H Donley
    Participant

Your name will be entered into the pool once you show up.

This is what I saw that made me have a sad. I see what he means now.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Josh wrote:
    setting up for the redemption, and sorting

“… he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” Matthew 3:12

Preach it, brother!

into the pool once you show up

There’s a pool?! I’ll bring my trunks, towel, and ’90s era police boats that REALLY FLOAT! (oh man, I gotta work on my tan this week!)

Josh
    Keymaster

A few things I forgot:

I’ll have water, milk, and some beer. Bring your favorite drink if you don’t like those options.
    I have 10 chairs for the basement. If you have something folding/easy to bring, please do.
    The catering will come with rice, beans, chicken, steak, carnita, chips, salsa, fajita veggies, and toppings. I think that will be enough to feed everyone, but if there’s a side or something you think would go well, let me know or bring along.

cool?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

The catering will come with rice, beans, chicken, steak, carnita, chips, salsa, fajita veggies, and toppings.

Please tell me that guac falls under “toppings”. I NEED THE GUAC.

Josh
    Keymaster

confirmed.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

confirmed.

w00+!

ChristianK
    Participant

I’ll be there, $20 in hand. I will partake in the Chipotle. Josh, I’m sending you another PM.

Pete
    Participant

I just joined Steel City Lug and planning to attend the meeting. Can somebody let me know where the meeting is and what time to be there.
    Thank you very much

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Josh I think I need your actual address again too, the last time I saw it in a thread was last October when we came to your house (if it’s in this thread, I missed it when I scrolled through). This past spring I just remembered how to get there. But I need to enter it so I can google map a path from Tanger to your house.

Josh
    Keymaster

I usually reserve my address to the very end because:
    1) that’s when people are going to ask for it anyway
    2) I like social experiments – seeing who saves my address and who will catch on to the little places i drop it, like in the party reminder
    3) I don’t want it EVERYWHERE for the public to see, and only want the people seriously coming to have it.

824 Greenhaven Drive
    Bethel Park, pa 15102

412 519 4762 is my cell.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

For anyone who wants to know the topics we need to discuss on Saturday, here is a cut and paste from Josh’s agenda (uploaded elsewhere)

Business:
    1. Q2minute review (5m)
    a. Tim’s road inventory/instructions? Use PennLUG’s?

2. Announcements (30m)
    a. Newly earned badges – Rick, Micah
    b. Updates to the handbook
    i. On discretion with LEGO prices
    ii. Flickr guidelines
    iii. Pab increases / set redemption
    iv. URL steelcitylug.com/handbook
    c. Ambassador program review (15m)
    d. Q4 build challenge – white door seed parts. (5m)
    e. Lugbulk-on our own/save up/group sort/extra $ (5m)
    f. Staff events=more events=more sets and parts-Club is limited by the club.

3. Financial status (10m)
    a. Reimbursements
    b. Current funds and recent transactions – $646.39 ($200 Fair, $50 trolley, -badges,-plexi)

4. Past Events (5 mins)
    a. Trolley – custom tables
    b. In community
    c. Cranberry Days
    d. Pittsburgh dad – dead?

5. Upcoming Events (35 mins)
    a. Philly Brickfest – (10m)
    b. Summer reading tear down (5m)
    c. Brickfestlive road trips (15m)– need confirmation
    d. International childrens festival 2016(5m)
    e. Bethel park and brentwood libraries
    f. Dan Brown’s PB museum?
    g. Greenberg

6. Idea sharing (15 mins)
    a. Monthly/quarterly builder spotlight
    b. Anyone interested in writing blog posts
    c. Redesigning the website/logo
    d. Donation jar? –specific, do we want it, will it be used/received
    e. Hospitality group? Thank you cards, etc
    f. 3D modeling?

7. Club needs (5m)
    a. Sign holders
    b. Resource for printing table signs
    c. Swag (stickers, pens, shirts, hats, etc)
    d. Table skirts for custom tables
    e. Velcro strips
    f. Plexi assembly
    g. Bins (sterilite)
    h. shelves

8. Redemption (30m) (Will be after speed draft)
    a. Clear out borrowed list
    b. setup
    c. Recap rules
    120 Mins

Closing:
    1. Review follow-ups and owners
    2. Open discussion
    3. Parts swap / sorting
    15 Mins

Year in review / Web stats
    Awards
    Speed draft
    Set give away hourly
    2014 – Goal was to make it more rewarding – money, movie, perks, easier
    2015 – increase member contribution/activity/ownership

Zemata
    Participant

I want a show and tell segment :r more people need to bring in MOCs and talk about them!

Josh
    Keymaster

took it out this time for time’s sake. Anyone is still welcome to bring anything, and if we find time, we will.

Josh
    Keymaster

Thanks everyone for coming out yesterday! I’d welcome any feedback you had about how much we tried to accomplish, the food, the atmosphere, the draft, the redemption, the sorting, etc. Let me know how we should adjust or ensure things continue! If you want to do it anonymously, you can just use the contact form on this page. http://www.steelcitylug.com/contact/

We always jam pack our days, but I think that’s just the nature of what we do. The alternative would be meeting every week, and that’s not sustainable, for me at least. I ordered too much food, but I did it intentionally, thinking there’d be stragglers, and there were, but they either didn’t stay for dinner or were offset by last minute cancels.

Thank you all for cleaning up after yourselves upstairs and to those you stayed late enough to make sure everything was put back. Totally awesome. It makes putting on these shindigs much more palatable. Special thanks to Joe for taking out the trash and Nancy for getting the cake! Not only does the LUG need people who take these kind of intiatives, but I need people like this around me! THANK YOU!

Pete
    Participant

Last night was alot of fun. Looking forward to going to events and sorts.

Tim

Josh, thank you again for a great meeting yesterday. You have admirably led the group for these past two years and it is much appreciated. Your taking on the Ambassador role will be additional responsibility and, as was mentioned, some of the work (and it is “work”) that you do for the LUG needs to be shifted to others. To that end, I would like to offer the following proposals for discussion.

Each event should have a “Lead Coordinator”. The LC can be the main point of contact for the event staff and also work with LUG members to flesh out and finalize the display for the event. To some degree, we already do this. But I know that Josh still does a lot of the ongoing coordinating and back and forth with the various event staffs. Once an LC is in place for a given event, responsibility for communication would be turned over to the LC, relieving Josh from further responsibility. The LC would also be responsible for event staffing (setting up the Doodle, etc.) and reporting redemption credits.

We could also establish various committees to help more evenly distribute the workload. Examples of such committees could be Hospitality (in charge of food for meetings, etc.), Competition and Redemption (in charge of the Build Challenges – initiating and judging – as well as the reward redemption program), and Public Relations (website design and maintenance, Facebook postings, thank you notes, and responding to various requests by the general public). 2-3 members per committee should be more than enough. And none of the committees should require much of a time commitment. But I think establishing these would help ease the load on Josh tremendously.

Dan Waksman
    Participant

Saturday night was a whole heck of a lot of fun and a big thank you to Josh and everyone else who participated. I’ve clearly been an AFOL all of my adult life, but not actively until now because I really never realized that there was such a large community to encourage it!

I really enjoyed the speed draft since it was both a great group activity and a very fun way to accumulate some extra parts.

I think Tim brings up some great points and LCs and committees would be a great way to distribute some of the responsibility and workload.

Personally I’m very interested in more opportunities to gain more experience and exposure to building displays and MOCs. If anyone is interested in working on some group projects where I could help contribute, I’d be very interested. I’m located in the North Hills in McCandless Twp if proximity helps.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar