Santa Trolley 2014 – PA Trolley Museum

Home Forums LUG discussions Santa Trolley 2014 – PA Trolley Museum

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

Sorry I’ve been so quiet lately folks, I’m really bad at keeping in touch so I apologize ahead of time if I don’t respond to questions or comments immediately.

It’s getting close to that time of year again and I just wanted to let everyone know that the museum LOVES US and wants us back again this year. I want to get this started earlier this year so we can coordinate more easily between the Greenberg display and this one.

Santa trolley will take place on the November 28-30, December 6-7, and 13-14;

Setup would most likely take place the weekend prior, November 22 & 23. As with last year I will be available both days, so if there is anyone that cannot make it one day they can come the other.

I want to stick to a winter theme once again, It’s Santa trolley so it seems only appropriate. However, we cannot forget that we are working with LEGOs here and in LEGO world EVERYTHING IS AWESOME and can be put to work together. Having said that, I would not be opposed to people bringing MOCs or things outside of the standard “town/city” theme.

It’s September 6th, lets get this rolling. Feel free to post ideas and I’ll start formulating a plan for the layout.

Thank you all! <3

Josh
    Keymaster

Will you be working on a bluebrick file for display table area and MOC arrangement before hand?

Laura
    Participant

All the shenanigans this weekend has gotten my butt in gear a little bit. Here is the first concept for this year’s display. My idea is to have as much rolling stock as possible moving at one time, but I understand this may not be possible because of the tight clearances required. I’d love some feedback so please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Laura
    Participant

I’ve also setup a doodle here: http://doodle.com/ac8xhfw65xwahmrd

It may be a bit early, but I want it to be available when people are ready.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m not entirely sure what’s going on in this picture, or what’s in the tray, but I’m thinking it’s food, in which case we definitely need this kind of food delivery service for the people staffing the Trolley Museum display:

IMG_9953

Laura
    Participant

So slight change of plans, the room is going to be occupied Saturday afternoon until 4pm. I’ve updated doodle, if you are unable to come on Sunday you’re welcome to come down Saturday morning to drop stuff off. However; we won’t be able to set anything up until after 4pm. Sunday is now going to be the primary set up day, this will make everything easier for those planning to attend the Cranberry event.

I’m not entirely sure what’s going on in this picture, or what’s in the tray, but I’m thinking it’s food, in which case we definitely need this kind of food delivery service for the people staffing the Trolley Museum display:

I dunno about getting food delivered by a snowman, but I’m sure I could work something out with Santa’s elves.

Tim

All the shenanigans this weekend has gotten my butt in gear a little bit. Here is the first concept for this year’s display. My idea is to have as much rolling stock as possible moving at one time, but I understand this may not be possible because of the tight clearances required. I’d love some feedback so please let me know what you think. Thanks!

I just mentioned this in the Greenberg thread, but I will be working on incorporating a single line of track around the Santa building, getting it as tight as possible. Hopefully, that would allow the Santa building to go into the layout either “below” or “above” the Industrial area as shown on your prelim layout.

Laura
    Participant

Alrighty, so after a discussion with the museum VSM this weekend I’ve had to completely rework the display.

I’ve attached two images. The first shows the full size of the events room, the tables that will be set up for visitors, and how our display fits into all that. The second is a close up of the display, I’ve tried to include areas for specific things (town, Santa HQ) and room for people to bring their MOC contributions.

@Ben. I’m not sure if you’re planning to contribute (Don’t worry Don won’t be here to ruin anything) but if you are I need to know what size area you need and anything that needs to be in it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

oooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Laura…you have certainly got a handle of this layout gig! that’s super nice. Awesome use of our new tables to show off how we can pull of better arrangements. Very nice track layout with the station in the middle…this is going to look great!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

What? But I want Don to be there, so he can see how well I’ve Don-proofed my new design.

I’m taking the room layout to indicate that we’re in the same room we were last Nov/Dec, and not the room we were in this June.

I’d like to contribute (those PaB cups I need for all the massive projects I’m planning aren’t gonna earn themselves), but I’m not sure where you’d put me (see below). Also, my section still isn’t gonna winterize well, it’ll be lush and green as always, so I’m not sure if you want it.

As planned right now, and I still believe it’s realistic for it to be done by Greenberg, I’m looking at most likely having an 8×4 area of baseplates, = two tables worth. I’m not seeing room for that in the display. However, if need be, it should split in half fairly easily – a 4×4 section dominated by the fountain, and a 4×4 section dominated by the observation platform. You could pick which one you wanted, and it could fit north of the Tree Farm section.

My suggestion would be: plan as if I’m not gonna be in it, if you can come up with enough good stuff to fill all the space, and then if you get desperate, you can use me as a last resort. Even if you’re not at Greenberg, there’ll be pics, so you’ll be able to see what’ll be available, there definitely won’t be any additional building b/n Greenberg and the Trolley Museum. If you want to use my stuff, great, and if you don’t, I can possibly bring it all down next June if you do a display again then. It’ll still be Don-proof then too.

David H Donley
    Participant

I plan on being there a ton. I would like to bring some stuff if possible, but I am not sure what is needed. I have lots of city stuff.

Tim

I would like to bring some stuff if possible, but I am not sure what is needed. I have lots of city stuff.

Anything City is great. Throw some white plates/tile/brick on it to simulate snow and you’re good to go. Be sure to post here to let Laura know how much area (in 32×32 baseplates) you need so she can add it to the layout diagram (memo to self to do the same).

Pete
    Participant

I too plan on being there. I wonder if my cargo plane can be worked in there somewhere it is city after all. I also have the cargo heliplane that could possibly go in the tree area.

Laura
    Participant

Okay, here is a more finalized plan; although, it’s bound to change. I’ve added an elevated Monorail line (if Dan is interested) that will go between Ben’s park and the town. I have expanded the room along the wall so Ben *should* be able to fit most of his park in.

The winter village is very densely populated, we can spread things out a bit if needed.

Give me some feedback, let me know what you guys think.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

At Laura’s request, here is my proposed plan for inserting my stuff. (I am not handy with BlueBrick but I am handy with AutoCAD.)

The diagram is showing only the two tables in the upper right. The 12 plates & track enclosed in red would be supplied by me. I should be able to adequately winterize them for the display. Column C of course is showing the columns and overhang of the observation platform. The fountain won’t winterize well and I don’t plan to try and squeeze it in. I’ll only be bringing cold-weather guys, pine trees, and trees that look like they’re covered in ice/snow, I should have plenty to fill the area though.

The other plates & track would not be supplied by me. I can possibly come up with the four plates & track for column D if necessary.

Laura’s diagram shows a monorail track going up through column B on my diagram. If you want it to extend it the whole way past the platform and have room for a turnaround at the top, I should not have a problem accomodating that. I would need to know what height you want it at and what the offset is from the edge of the plate, I’m not sure if I have enough straight track, but I can provide the supports myself and at least some of the track. So let me know on that.

Attachments:
    Laura
    Participant

Here is the most up to date version, I’ve tried to indicate where specific buildings will go and leave room for MOCs. There seems to be a lot of room above the farm for MOCs to sit if anyone has something that can go back there.

I’m hoping to have a couple dog sled teams to have a little dog sled race going on at the winter carnival. I would also REALLY LOVE to have the monorail there with elevated platforms where people could board and exit from (maybe THAT’s how they get on Ben’s platform O.O) as well as adding an attachment from the train station to have a monorail platform as well.

PLEASE PLEASE, let me know what you can/want to bring and I will make plans for it on the layout, <2 weeks to get this thing kicked in the butt!

EDIT: Hit submit before I was ready… ><

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Laura.
    Attachments:
    Tim

Do you want/need any additional town buildings? If so, how many 32×32 baseplates worth are still open?

Laura
    Participant

Do you want/need any additional town buildings? If so, how many 32×32 baseplates worth are still open?

Ya, the more the merrier! All the colored spaces are currently open as well as spaces next to the farm, and possibly behind Ben’s Platform. I know there are 16×32 buildings that belong to Joe also, not sure if they’ll be coming. If needed we can remove official LEGO modulars in favor of MOCs.

Laura
    Participant

Hello all,
    Setup’s in less than a week, so I would like to take this opportunity to finalize some plans and send out a call for folks to sign up for staffing on Doodle (Get your PAB cups!!).

I need to hear from Dan Walker to know whether or not his monorail will be available and I would like to hear from anyone else who wishes to bring MOCs or anything else to support this display.

I will be bringing…
    -Streetcar Track
    -Auto shop & Gas station
    -Farm buildings & animals
    -Train Station (Double track)
    -Train Station (Single Track)
    -Modular Buildings
    -Cafe 16×32
    -Pizza/Karate Shop 16×32
    -Vehicles

Laura
    Participant

Alright so not getting replies I guess I’ll tag people to get their attention. I’m a little concerned about the sparsity of doodle sign ups. SIGN UP PLX!! http://doodle.com/ac8xhfw65xwahmrd

@randomdan
    will you be able to contribute a monorail system and, if so, be able to make it on Sunday for set up. I have an idea for the track in the blue brick. It would require the piers to raise it up above the streets and trains. Let me know what you want to do.

@bengood921
    are you coming on Sunday to set up? If so please sign up on Doodle.

@lunch36
    if you can staff that would be great, please sign up on Doodle.

@timf
    I know you’re coming on Sunday, if you can sign up on doodle just to confirm that would be awesome! 🙂

@ anyone else who wants PAB cups and to have an awesome time at the museum (always free Cocoa and cookies!) sign up!

EDIT: Fixed typo

David H Donley
    Participant

I’m sorry I haven’t doodled on the doodle. I signed up for as much as I could. I coach on Sunday at varying times, so even though I am not signed up I may still show up.

David H Donley
    Participant

I had no idea there was going to be free cocoa…I may show up outside of normal staffing hours.

Laura
    Participant

Most recent version of the plan. Hoping if there is a monorail we can have it meet with the main train station as well as have small stations around town (small yellow boxes). I’ve marked areas that are available for MOCs.

Questions? Please ask!

Attachments:
    Joe
    Participant

Laura,

I have two 16×32 building I can contribute (Octan Grocer and GB HQ v2), if you still have room and I’ll sign up a few days on the doodle tonight, just want to double check my availability.

Laura
    Participant

Yep, plenty o’ room!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar