School Program Brick Buy

Home Forums LUG discussions BUY / SELL / TRADE! School Program Brick Buy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Rich Millich
    Participant

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 9

A Dorothy Harris of Wilkinsburg contacted me through Mac of S.W.Randall’s. She has the LEGO brick from a school program that didn’t get going, and mentioned that this is a truck bed’s amount of stuff that may contain NXT or Mindstorms stuff. At the very least, this might be LUG play brick replenishment.

I need guys to come with me and sift through this brick to help determine a fair offer, probably in the low triple digits.

I’ve agreed to look at this brick on Saturday, September 9, around 2-4 in the afternoon. I’d like some LUG members who have some knowledge of the value of what we’d be looking at.

Rich Millich
    Participant

@randomdan, this is a reminder since you expressed some interest. Who else might? Should I tag them?

Tim

I am tied up on the 9th with hockey and scouts. But this sounds like a promising buy. The parts should be new (or nearly new) if the program never got off the ground.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is the idea that the LUG would be buying the parts or that whoever goes would be buying the parts? Either way, I hope she has 25,000 blue 2×4’s. 🙂

Rich Millich
    Participant

Is the idea that the LUG would be buying the parts or that whoever goes would be buying the parts? Either way, I hope she has 25,000 blue 2×4’s. ?

Yep. That’s the idea. If it’s decent brick, I’ll have a couple hundred to buy the lot on the spot. At that point, well, whoever is with me can help both transport and/or pick through it for the good stuff with me. The more basic brick I’ll trade in to LUG play brick for the kids at our larger events. That’s what I want to do.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Rich, are you expecting that its mostly going to be robotics kit parts?

Rich Millich
    Participant

Sounds like a mixed bag to me.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I should be available to go with you on Saturday.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m leaving town today (nephews’ birthdays), otherwise I’d consider this one.

Dan
    Participant

I’ll be available! I’m not sure who else might be interested? @philmatt24

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

If it’s decent brick, I’ll have a couple hundred to buy the lot on the spot.

this is a truck bed’s amount of stuff that may contain NXT or Mindstorms stuff.

Um… if it’s a truck bed’s amount, that’s what, a half ton of ABS? And especially if it’s NXT or Mindstorms, what makes us think that “a couple hundred” will be sufficient to buy the lot? Not trying to be a downer, just saying, that sounds like thousands of dollars’ worth to me…

And I don’t think I’ll be able to make it, but I’ll keep an eye on the thread and holler at yinz if that changes.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

a half ton of ABS? And especially if it’s NXT or Mindstorms, what makes us think that “a couple hundred” will be sufficient to buy the lot?

That IS a good question. Rich can you get anymore information on
    1) what she actually has
    2) about how much money she is expecting
    3) exactly where and when she wants to meet?

Rich Millich
    Participant

I’ve only got a where, a when, and that it’s a lot of it. It’s still sight unseen, and Mrs. Harris doesn’t know anything about LEGO or its value. We’ll have to go look.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Mrs. Harris doesn’t know anything about LEGO or its value

Fair enough. But did she pay for the LEGO in the first place? Was it donated? I dunno – just thinking, either they have some idea what it cost (because they spent money on it), or we’d potentially have a chance at a bargain, but also I’d feel bad taking advantage of someone at a school in an underprivileged neighborhood just because she doesn’t know what she has… guess we’ll see when we get there, and decide accordingly.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Mrs. Harris doesn’t know anything about LEGO or its value

Fair enough. But did she pay for the LEGO in the first place? Was it donated? I dunno – just thinking, either they have some idea what it cost (because they spent money on it), or we’d potentially have a chance at a bargain, but also I’d feel bad taking advantage of someone at a school in an underprivileged neighborhood just because she doesn’t know what she has… guess we’ll see when we get there, and decide accordingly.

And that is exactly why I need other LUG guys who have a better grip on the money aspect.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

And that is exactly why I need other LUG guys who have a better grip on the money aspect.

Fair enough, once again. I still dunno if I personally can make it, but I’m sure Greg and Dan can help assess the lot!

I’ve only got a where, a when, and that it’s a lot of it.

Ah, see, if a non-aficionado says “a lot of LEGO”, she might not mean “a lot” the way one of us might… but if she actually said “truckload” then maybe it really is a lot…

At any rate, as long as it’s not Alot of LEGO, we should be in good shape. (aaaand just in case yinz don’t know what an Alot is…)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Okay. Her address is 480 Ella Street in Wilkinsburg, and she will expect us at 2 pm. Meet at a central location at say 1:30?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

People (ex. @philmatt24) might be working LUGbulk tomorrow if its not finished tonight. Perhaps it will be just you and @randomdan. However, if you don’t have anyone else to go with you, I might be able to help. As of now, tomorrow’s plan is still uncertain.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

People (ex. philmatt24) might be working LUGbulk tomorrow if its not finished tonight.

When I left around 11:30 PM, there were 48 / 85 elements as yet untouched, with 5 or 6 folks still attempting to sort. I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess it won’t be finished tonight. That said, I ain’t going to be sorting tomorrow – I’ve already diverted too much time to something that shouldn’t have come until after my trip! (And I am going to make the call that I won’t be able to make it to this potential brick-buying venture, either. Yinz can handle it, and I trust Dan and Rich to make a good call on whether it’s a deal worth making. We talked a bit tonight, and Dan’s perspective seems reasonable.)

Rich Millich
    Participant

@randomdan and I will be meeting at Nancy’s East End Diner on South St near the Wilkinsburg East Busway station at about 1:30 today.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Threadjack alert: I was previously unaware of the existence of this diner. Mmmm, diner. I will be going there at some point to check it out.

Tom Frost
    Participant

@zaximillian how did this go today?

Rich Millich
    Participant

It’s a bunch of NXT, dacta and RCX 1.0 stuff. A good percentage of it is still in bag, but the brick that isn’t is definitely Used quality. I took the storage bins they had and the brick inside, mostly Technic, a horde of hoses and varying green bricks. Spent $200. Well worth it.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I took the storage bins they had and the brick inside, mostly Technic, a horde of hoses and varying green bricks. Spent $200. Well worth it.

Wait, so was that the whole lot, or did you pick and choose? Did you get the NXT stuff?

Also: pics, or it didn’t happen!

Dan
    Participant

There are a LOT of controllers, cables, programmers, and sensors. They’re going to send some pics (potentially) once it is a little more sorted.

Rich just got a few bins of parts, not the whole lot @philmatt24

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar