September 15-22 art exhibition

Home Forums LUG discussions September 15-22 art exhibition

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 119 total)
  • Author

JOSH EDIT: This thread was a split from another thread – here’s the gist:

September 16-23, at the Future Tenant Gallery downtown http://futuretenant.org/
    Set Up occurs the afternoon of the 15th, and teardown will be either the night of the 21st, or the morning of the 22nd.
    If you cannot make the 15th, we have the ability to set up any time that week, just let me know so I can grab the key.

Area for MOCs galore.
    Area for games for the public
    Talks about reusing the DIG collab build

The window is available to use for a display.

For the actual display stands, there are
    (8) podiums, at least 1 ft square
    (4) 4ftx8ft platforms, which have a rise of 18 inches, and can be stacked.
    (1) 4 ft table
    (2) 8 ft tables

There will also be a public reception on Friday, from 7-10pm.

Hello all,<br>
    Things have finally calmed down, and I am glad to be back. I know a few members of the LUG knew that my father has been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 months, and I have been taking care of him. In addition, due to some massive behinds the scenes dealings that took place without my knowledge, my theater company has been forced to shut down. C’est la vie, I suppose. I am now back to working with the LUG more. As a result of the company closing, I need to move the dates up for the display, it will now be in September 16-23, at the Future Tenant Gallery downtown. With a whole art gallery to fill, I would like to invite any and all displays that you have in mind. I would love to curate a show devoted to toys, especially LEGO.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gregory Schubert wrote:</div>
    When you use words like “curate”, “show” and “gallery” it sounds to me like an event in which pieces of art are sold. For clarification, would MOC’s be sold at this show?

Greg, do you WANT your MOCs to be sold at the show? If I build anything worthy by then, I’d probably at least think about throwing a price tag on it (~ $0.25 / brick, no sense just giving them away) and seeing if anyone bites.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gregory Schubert wrote:</div>
    Also, is there “life after Cranberry” for the Dig into Reading display? Separate chunks of the Dig grid, (rather than one tenuously balanced colossus,) with brief written explanations, could be appreciated by attendees of various ages.

I talked with Andrew a bit about his gallery event after the B&N event last night. Sounds like it could be a great opportunity, if we coordinate it properly*. Using some or all of our DIG display is a great idea – the gallery (starts 9/16, I think) is a few short weeks after we pull the DIG display (8/24), so not too painful to leave our cubes intact for an extra month, hopefully. Would not mind if we all contributed some more stuff, too – separately or collaborative.

I just talked to the gallery today, and all things are a go with them. My vision is to create a space where adults can enjoy the idea of toys and games, and there are a few ways I want to do this at the gallery. The first is to have a section where people can get a game of the shelf to play with a few people, essentially a short term game library, and have a place where people can grab a beer and play. As part of that, I wanted to have an area where donations could be collected for the charity. Finally, and most important, I would love to have the LUG do a massive showing. The MOCs will not be for sale, and will have stanchions around them. Set Up occurs the afternoon of the 15th, and teardown will be either the night of the 21st, or the morning of the 22nd. I definitely want to show off any MOCs that you all wish to display. On a side note, I would definitely like to have a large castle display there, and maybe do some live Brikwars. (This would be limited to us, and not part of the games library.) There is a lot of space, so I would definitely like to see some armies battling each other (I am thinking my Redcoats are ready for battle against your Bluecoats, Dan!)
    See you all soon,
    Andrew

• This topic was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Josh.
    • This topic was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Andrew W. Huntley II.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greg, do you WANT your MOCs to be sold at the show?

My Alpine Village is larger than my home can permanently accommodate. Other than the construction phase, it has not been out of storage boxes. Even with LEGO, one eventually has to be realistic.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The first is to have a section where people can get a game of the shelf to play with a few people,

I can provide lots of games, it depends on what you want. Are the games meant to be adult games or can they be ones that were originally created for children? ex. Dungeons and Dragons vs. Chutes and Ladders. Did you want beer drinkers to play cards or Twister?

Josh
    Keymaster

Alright, I butchered the old thread and tried to stuff all the relative posts in the first one here. Andrew, please correct me if I missed anything and keep us in line with what you need and what we can do to help!

Josh
    Keymaster

Also, Andrew, get me numbers of how many public people you expect to come (ballpark?) so I can submit an event support for more brick.

Thank you for splitting up the threads. Last time I was involved with the Residency, we had about 200 people come through. As for games so far, I have Clue, Battleship, Stratego, Chess, Checkers, Circulation, and Morgan’s Revenge.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Brikwars

¿Que?

<Googles it…>

oooOOOooohhh. Cool.

Alright, I butchered the old thread

Sexy thread butchering. Looks good.

Matt Redfield wrote:
    Greg, do you WANT your MOCs to be sold at the show?

My Alpine Village is larger than my home can permanently accommodate. Other than the construction phase, it has not been out of storage boxes. Even with LEGO, one eventually has to be realistic.

Wonder what the asking price will be for that…

As for games so far, I have Clue, Battleship, Stratego, Chess, Checkers, Circulation, and Morgan’s Revenge.

I could contribute Settlers of Catan / Seafarers / Cities & Knights, Guillotine, possibly Munchkin (it’s my brother’s, but I’ve been meaning to get my own copy too), Dutch Blitz… OOH! and LEGO SETTLERS! w00+!

Doug
    Participant

So, I’d like to do a castle-themed display, but I’d need help. I’m working on updating my castle right now. I’m adding details FINALLY after leaving it alone for 3 months. See pic below–that’s what happens when you don’t maintain your castle walls…you get a tree growing through them.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

looking good, Doug.

Andrew – what is the space going to look like? do we need to bring tables? coverings?

are you familar with bluebrick? might help organize the space and get people committed to displaying.

http://bluebrick.lswproject.com/

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m working on updating my castle right now.

This is fantastic work. You are building like a pro already! Is there more to see?

Rodney Bistline
    Participant

Hey there!
    First time posting here, but Josh has been keeping me in the loop. I’m interested in contributing a bit to this display if there is a need, and it just so happens that I might actually be able to come by on the 15th to bring it. I’ve got a 1-foot-tall Mining Robot that Josh thought would fit with Dig display, and I’d also be willing to bring a fleet of starfighters if that would fit with anything else. And a fantasy style flying ship. If any of that would fit with what your vision is, I’m hoping to make it work.

Rodney Bistline
    Aka “Buster”

Dan
    Participant

I should be able to help out. I’ll see what I can whip up bluecoat-wise (I recently moved again, so everything had to be torn down)!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Still wanna help with this, but I have two small problems:

1) It’s highly unlikely I’ll have any time to do anything before Labor Day

2) It’s fairly likely I’ll be gone for the first half of the week of the display

If I can make something happen at the beginning of September, I’ll contribute for sure. Maybe see if I can complement Doug’s rad castle with something similarly themed…

Doug
    Participant

I am continuing to work on a medieval castle and village. I’ve just finished building two new “dollhouse-type” buildings (open on the back so you can see inside). I think I can do a densely populate display the size of two 48×48 grey baseplates. The problem is, I’ll be out of town both Sept 13-15 AND Sept 21-28, which means I wouldn’t be able to help out with setup or take down. I’m willing to keep building, but someone else will have to take my stuff over there. Any volunteers?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Doug.
    Doug
    Participant

Is there more to see?

Here’s what I have so far…

Attachments:
    Doug
    Participant

And a few more…

Attachments:

Just out of curiosity, do we have green baseplates in the LUG stock? I am thinking either 32×32, or even 16×32.

Hello all,
    I hate to double post, but I have been emailing back and forth with FT all day. First, I have a floor plan, and my size estimates were fairly on, about 10 feet wide, by 60 feet deep. I also emailed them about tables, and it turns out they have 4. What they do have however, are a lot of pedestals for sculpture, so I think that might be ideal for some of the more standalone pieces (I am thinking Evan’s robots and Rich’s star fighters) They also have risers, which are 8 feet by 6 feet, and go up about 2 feet. I am going to the space on Friday to investigate the possibility of stacking two of those to make a larger table. Finally, Dan and I are working on a larger scale Redcoats Vs. Bluecoats display. I know Dan is looking to build up a Bluecoat fleet, and I am building a Redcoat fort. I am looking for help building walls, and for ease of display, I want to use the CCC standard (http://www.classic-castle.com/ccc/cccstandard.html) Please let me know if you planning on building a section or two of wall, the nice thing is that each piece goes together very quickly.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Andrew, I think it’s been covered, but you did say the MOCs will have stanchions to deter grabby folks, right? We can also put up our signage, and maybe an audio/video compilation of Arrested Development “No touching!” quotes running on loop? I know some folks were concerned about that.

Was everyone on board with reusing the DIG display? If so, I’d assume we use one of the four tables for that. I *might* have a standalone MOC ready, but let’s not count chickens, and I’d definitely give priority to Evan & Rich’s work for the pedestals.

And I’m guessing you need to leave at least one table empty, so people can pull games out of the library and have at it…

I can probably contribute a wall section or two and a few soldiers for the Redcoat fort, but I won’t be able to build until after this weekend, so I’m not sure how many sections. I can also be a double agent and use my old Renegade Runner hull to create a Bluecoat ship, although I’m not sure I have sails in the right color scheme…

Tim

DIG Sispay sounds good. I’m in with that. I can not make set up on September 15 so I will need to arrange to meet someone before then and turn over my sections of the Display.

Andrew, I can probably also do a few wall sections. Are we keeping to a general Gray/Dark Gray/Black color scheme? Is it OK to put a few embelishments (so long as the ends still met the CCC Standard) or do you want to keep them pure vanilla?

Doug
    Participant

I do want to point out that several of us seem not be be able to make setup (I also can’t make breakdown). It might be a good idea at this point to make sure that enough people will be around for setup, and that there are people willing to step in and take responsibility for others’ work.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Are we keeping to a general Gray/Dark Gray/Black color scheme? Is it OK to put a few embellishments (so long as the ends still met the CCC Standard) or do you want to keep them pure vanilla?

Good questions!

It might be a good idea at this point to make sure that enough people will be around for setup, and that there are people willing to step in and take responsibility for others’ work.

Good point. Unless my boss says I can’t take vaca, I’ll miss the setup weekend, but will be around for the tear down. I’d have my 3 10x10x10″ cubes for DIG, plus any wall sections I can muster, that I’d need someone to take for me.

Andrew, is there a back room or anything at FT, where we could drop off some stuff a couple days early (thus saving people the hassle of transporting my stuff, although yinz would still have to set it up…)? Or is that a bad idea?

Tim

I can not make the setup day (September 15) but can definitely do the tear down the following Sunday morning (September 22). I could probably do set up for a few hours on Monday morning September 16, but Andrew seemed fairly certain at the meeting that set up had to be done on September 15.

Unless there is a locked room where Andrew has the only keys, I’m not very comfortable with leaving our stuff at FT early.

Thank you all for getting back to me so quickly. I have some of the answers, and I have sent an email to FT about others. I am more than fine with any designs you wish to do, except a pink wall, as long as the ends meet the CCC standard. As for the setup, I am not sure that it needs to be done by the evening on Sunday, so Monday and Tuesday may also be possibilities, I just need confirmation from the space for that.

Dan
    Participant

I’ll be able to help with the setup. My apartment is also pretty empty right now, so if anyone wants to drop things off here I can store them until the display.

Andrew: I am assuming you can provide transportation for me (and whatever MOCs are coming) from Oakland to FT?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar