September 15-22 art exhibition

Home Forums LUG discussions September 15-22 art exhibition

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I am more than fine with any designs you wish to do, except a pink wall, as long as the ends meet the CCC standard.

Andrew, flexibility is good, but it probably wouldn’t hurt to name a “dominant” color, such that we don’t have a 10″ long light gray wall next to a 10″ black wall next to a 10″ tan wall, with straight vertical breaks between colors – that might look weird. For the Great Wall, we were able to blend things at least somewhat, although looking back at the pics, my dark gray turret still looks weird next to Tim’s tan wall…

Are you planning to do four corner baseplates, and we’re just providing the straightaways? If we get a plate count for the fort perimeter, we could easily draw up a rough map and pencil in names / primary colors, to achieve a bit of a color blend.

As for getting our stuff to the gallery, I probably won’t be back in town until Wednesday the 18th, so Monday/Tuesday installation doesn’t help me. As long as someone is willing, I can arrange to drop off my stuff at someone’s place before the weekend. And I’ll be around for the second weekend to help tear down.

That is an excellent idea, and yes, I am doing 4 corner plates, with a light bley as the predominate color. I am also having one of those corners being under construction (due to a lack of bley brick) so it will have a lot of reddish brown as well. Dan, if we can use your place to stage a lot of the MOCs, that would be amazing.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Funny story: I still have a lot of dark bley from the DIG build, but not much light. And actually, I used most of the basic brick on my DIG cubes. So I’d better check my inventory before I commit to too many wall sections.

As for pre-staging; as long as Dan has the space and you guys have a way to get the stuff from his apartment to FT, I’ll coordinate with Dan to drop off my stuff a couple days before the install date. He’s the closest to me, anyway, so that’ll be easy!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Was everyone on board with reusing the DIG display?

First of all, for a potentially unstable structure, putting the DIG display in a case behind glass is a lot different than leaving it in an open room with people of various blood alcohol contents milling around.

Also, while I was looking at the rebuilt DIG display, it seemed like the mostly tan Indiana Jones scene did not really fit in with the rest of the display. It can be left out if there is to be one fewer layer.

I would rebuild the batcave and the dragon chamber for greater stability before reusing those cubes.

Dan
    Participant

I have the space to store MOCs. We can coordinate closer to the 15th.

Zemata
    Participant

My dig cube has been sorted out so you’ll need a one cube replacement. Sorry!

I can bring some robots/Zethra to display provided someone assures me of their safety :r

Everything should be safe, as I now have the gallery hours for public display.
    The gallery will be open:
    11am to 7pm Thursday
    Noon to 9pm Friday
    Noon to 10:30pm Saturday.

Of those, alcohol will only be available(to the public) from 7-9pm Friday, and 7pm-10pm on Saturday, when there will probably be more than myself there. In addition to me being there to watch whenever the gallery is open, there will also be one, most likely two members of the Gallery there to watch the space.

Josh
    Keymaster

🙁

Tim

Between Evan’s cube and the Indian Jones (2 cubes) being out, can we rework the display to get it to fit?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Between Evan’s cube and the Indian Jones (2 cubes) being out, can we rework the display to get it to fit?

Indian Jones? I think you mean Native American Jones, Tim!

But actually, it would be SUPER easy to rework it: all we’d have to do is take out the “DIG Into Reading” cubes (sorry, Laura…) Take a look at the layout. If we remove DIG (column 1 & 2), Neomydia (column 3), and Indy (columns 4 & 5), everything else drops down one row onto Tim’s Khazad-Dum and my Narnia. BAM.

OR… we get some of the noobs to make 3 new cubes to replace Evan’s & Indy.

PS – Evan is super lame for tearing down his cube so fast. You KNEW we wanted to display it again, Evan!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Indy could still be in, but do you remember how high the whole thing was once we put it on a table. I think it has to come down a level anyway. Btw, the batcave contains two more blocks that can come out if you want to leave Laura’s in.

Josh
    Keymaster

also, Rodney said he had a robot — wonder if he could build a cube for it to fit in…

or, could spread it horizontal and just have a new scene (like rodney’s) on top of the new space.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Josh.

I had my meeting with the gallery today, and we sorted out what there is to have for display space. There are:

(2) 4ft x 6ft platforms (another additional one may be available)
    (2) 8 ft tables
    (1) 4 ft table
    (8) display pedestals, each one at least a square foot.

I have been working on the 4 corners for the modular fort, so that has taken up most of my grey bricks, and I am planning on sorting out my LEGO trains over the next few nights.

The gallery owners are also very excited to have us there.

In the next few days, I would like to figure out who is bringing what so that I can start to design the space.

Let me know what you all think.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Okay. I can bring four of the five Project G fighters (I still need some light bley forks to repair the fifth one), and replace the Paladin with the Noctis. These standalone MOCs are 10 inches on a side and about 6-8 inches tall at most. Depending on my schedule, I may be able to drop by one of the days the gallery is open to gawk and probably sit down and build on my MILS plate. I don’t know yet.

Dan
    Participant

What redcoat scum will stand and fight when they hear cries of “Ready the petard!”?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Good thing I have plenty of murder holes in the fort to stop such an attack. Prepare to be hoist by your own petard.

The four corners of the fort are finished, and I am working on an inventory of my trains, track, and rolling stock for this display, as well as the next few.

Is anyone else planning on bringing trains?

Tim

The four corners of the fort are finished, and I am working on an inventory of my trains, track, and rolling stock for this display, as well as the next few.

How many wall sections do you think you will need?

I would personally like to see at least 4 section of wall, but personally I would rather see 8, as that would make a fort with a 40″x40″ footprint, which would also provide a chance to input a few scenes in the fort itself.

Josh
    Keymaster

Andrew, can you update the 1st post of the thread with the detail you have now? Sounds like we need to clarify what day we’re actually setting up, what times people are needed, when the place is open to the public, and still get a sense of what is needed beyond the walls/battle area.

Does anyone have strong feelings to display the dig into reading build again? It doesn’t seem like it…at least, not in it’s original incarnation. I was originally thinking it would be a great window build, to grab people’s attention and also keep it safe from people touching it. Andrew, can you confirm both of those criteria are accurate/possible?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m *probably* good for 2 sections. Especially if they can be of various shades of gray. I can try to use mostly light gray near the ends, such that it’ll blend into your corners, Andrew. (I’d be building one side of the wall, assuming we get 8 total, eh?)

I don’t have permission to update the first post, otherwise I would gladly do it. I also talked with the gallery again, the window is available, and would stop people from touching it. Also, there is a reception of that Friday, from 7-10pm. And Matt, that sounds good, we can definitely make any even number of wall sections work. (it might be really easy to invade the fort if there is a whole in the wall)

Doug
    Participant

I’m still working away on a small medieval village. It will now take up 3 48×48 baseplates, with an inch or so border around everything. I just finished the church tonight (see below). Are we setting up during the week? If so, awesome. That would mean I could be there for setup.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Doug.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

That church is church.

So… without tearing down my DIG cubes, I have 2 blue and 1 green 32×32 baseplates handy. Can I get away with using at least one blue for my wall sections? Make it part of the water, or cover it with rocks & grass?

That sounds good to me, the covering with rock and grass would look great.

Dan
    Participant

Andrew are you in on getting the red coat/pirate lot or not?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar