September 15-22 art exhibition

Home Forums LUG discussions September 15-22 art exhibition

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

the covering with rock and grass would look great.

Assuming I have adequate materials… which I *think* I do…

Tim

Here are the two wall sections I’ve built for the display. The ends are CCC compliant although the middle section on each is one brick higher for visual interest. I also tried to make the walls “interesting” with small windows as arrow slits and some variety in stonework, etc. The one wall also has some wood battlements as a temporary fix for previous damage sustained. The back sides are pretty bland and I did add one orange brick at the very bottom corner of each for easy identification.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Andrew, try to edit again.

Also,

Are we setting up during the week? If so, awesome. That would mean I could be there for setup.

Andrew are you in on getting the red coat/pirate lot or not?

Tim

I’m still working away on a small medieval village. It will now take up 3 48×48 baseplates, with an inch or so border around everything. I just finished the church tonight (see below). Are we setting up during the week? If so, awesome. That would mean I could be there for setup.

Doug, the church looks great. I really like how the stained galss window looks. The contrasting tan walls with dark gray columns gives a lot of depth to the out walls.

Everything built in this thread looks great, and I am looking forward to seeing it in person. The first post has the new information, and as for the large lot, I am definitely in, and will see you Sunday.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

and will see you Sunday.

Oh yeah, Dan and Andrew and I talked offline about meeting up Sunday afternoon to split the spoils of our Craigslist Pirate lot (assuming all goes well and there is no treachery on Costco Island in the Sea of Robinson when Dan meets the seller tomorrow). And we’ll probably build some walls and ships, too. Not sure if anyone else would want to join, but you’re probably welcome to do so… (I say “probably” because we were gonna do it at Dan’s place, so inviting more folks to someone else’s home isn’t really my place. But if you ask nicely, he’d probably be cool with it. Maybe.)

Josh
    Keymaster

If you cannot make the 15th, we have the ability to set up any time that week, just let me know so I can grab the key.

Area for MOCs galore.
    Area for games for the public
    Talks about reusing the DIG collab build

The window is available to use for a display.

For the actual display stands, there are
    (8) podiums, at least 1 ft square
    (4) 4ftx8ft platforms, which have a rise of 18 inches, and can be stacked.
    (1) 4 ft table
    (2) 8 ft tables

There will also be a public reception on Friday, from 7-10pm.

great stuff. I’ll have to discuss with the wife when I can break free. When will you be there Sunday? I have a social function after church sunday, but I can try to be up by dinner.

My plan is to just dump everything in your control, Andrew. Display it at your will:

1. Sidney Crosbrick – if I can reassemble him in time
    2. Cathedral of Learning – if I can reassemble it in time
    3. HP/Volde lenticular mosaic – if I can resassemble them in time (see a theme emerging here?
    4. The LUG banner
    5. 1 bin of my personal unsorted
    6. my 2 dig cubes +16 wide filler cube
    7. mini ‘brick the bridge’ – If I can complete it in time(knit the bridge model in very small scale)

anything else? cool with that? I’ll also be out of town until the 26th, so I’ll need someone to “lug” my stuff home…any volunteers?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Cathedral of Learning – if I can reassemble it in time

My bad. I owe you a beer. Or seven.

To add to the “hey guys, remember this question?” front:

I also talked with the gallery again, the window is available, and would stop people from touching it.

DIG display – happening, or not? (I say yes; seems like that’s the consensus.) Sounds like we have a more or less secure spot to install it…

Assuming it is, did we determine whether we’re eliminating cubes, and if so, which ones? Evan’s is gone, so we need to either add one cube, or eliminate 4 more. I think Greg hinted that Indy and the Batcave could be nixed, so we’d then move Laura’s DIG cubes up to the top right (well, below Wayne Manor / above Khazad-Dum) and we’ll be all set. Cool? We’d need the following people to bring cubes: Tim, Greg, Josh, Doug, Laura, Matt. Right? Are all 6 of us committed, now that we know it’ll be safe from wayward bumps?

Also, there is a reception of that Friday, from 7-10pm.

Just so it’s clear: that’s Friday the 20th. Locked and loaded. When is the drunken speed build & epic Red vs. Blue battle?

Tim

DIG display – happening, or not? (I say yes; seems like that’s the consensus.) Sounds like we have a more or less secure spot to install it…
    (snip)
    We’d need the following people to bring cubes: Tim, Greg, Josh, Doug, Laura, Matt. Right? Are all 6 of us committed, now that we know it’ll be safe from wayward bumps?

I can’t set up on the 15th at all. I have a complete other commitment. I MAY (60% certain at this point) be able to bring stuff in the early afternoon on Monday, September 16, but since you need my cubes (especially Khazad-dum) for the DIG display, that will probably not be very practical. So, can I drop off my stuff to someone at some point next week? It would be my DIG cubes (Gringotts Lobby, Gringotts vaults, Wayne Manor, and Khazad-dum) and the two wall sections pictures previously.
    Yes, the window sounds like a perfect place for the DIG display. Even if it is exposed to some sunlight, it is only for one week.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

We’d need the following people to bring cubes: Tim, Greg, Josh, Doug, Laura, Matt. Right? Are all 6 of us committed, now that we know it’ll be safe from wayward bumps?

The back of the batcave fell apart by the time I got home; it needs to be rebuilt with bricks but I can do that if that pair of cubes is needed. (The Wayne Manor makes more sense with the batcave underneath.) The Gringotts chambers also need to be reconstructed for stability, especially if they will be over the DIG into reading again. If these cubes are needed, I will fortify them.

Can someone provide a list of available times and locations for dropping off LEGO items to display?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Doug
    Participant

Can someone provide a list of available times and locations for dropping off LEGO items to display?

*chanting* “Monday evening Monday evening Monday evening” 🙂 I can also do Wed. or Thur.

The medieval village is 2/3 complete! I just need to finish the 48×48 baseplate that has the church on it. I’m thinking church on a hill. See the pics of what’s done below. I haven’t populated it fully with minifigs yet. Also, I’m going to put something wacky in the attics of the blue and lime green buildings. Any ideas? I was thinking C3P0 and R2D2 in cages or something else “out of time”. Also, I think Gandalf, Bilbo and company will be wandering around somewhere…

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Doug.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

both of those trees are killer!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Good work, Doug. There are so many components to this, you must have been busy completing the landscaping. I like the choice of figs you’ve added so far, especially the mermaid in the moat – its completely unexpected. 🙂 You could even split her up and put the torso one place and the inverted tail elsewhere.

I think we are going to need to get a final headcount via email for the DIG into Reading display. I reworked both the Batcave and the Gringotts vault during the Stillers lost today in case they would be needed.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

What is going on in pic #5, Doug? Is that a group of female musketeers playing hacky sack or something?

Doug
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback! This has been the most difficult build I’ve undertaken, and being in this group and getting encouragement from you all keeps me going.

What is going on in pic #5, Doug? Is that a group of female musketeers playing hacky sack or something?

I forgot that those were musketeer torsos! I was going for “traveling troupe of soldiers.” I figured the one in the lead with the yellow “shoulder pomps” (I’m sure there’s a better name for those) is the leader, and she’s giving them instructions (you may not visit any of the brothels, we meet back here at sundown, etc.).

Also, my cube is a little bit battered but it’s in if you need it!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

yellow “shoulder pomps” (I’m sure there’s a better name for those)

Epaulets, according to Redcoat Andrew and Bluecoat Dan.

you may not visit any of the brothels

Boo, you’re no fun! Why did we even come here, then? Actually, a group of female soldiers – identical, at that – could cause quite a ruckus at a brothel… yikes.

Tim

I did not see a specific answer to this yet although my understanding is that Dan W. volunteered to receive stuff this week and Andrew was going to coordinate getting it to the Gallery. Also, as it looks like most of the DIG builders (myself, Greg, Josh, Matt, and Doug) are NOT available to help with set up on Sunday, is that going to be a problem both storing stuff this week and getting it to the Gallery on Sunday? Do we have enough people to help with set up?

I can now bring my stuff to someone on Saturday (late morning would be best for me). So please confirm who is willing to receive display stuff and where to take it. Thanks!

From the email I just sent out.

Hello all,
    It is not exceptionally urgent that the cubes be there on Sunday, but the more time that it has on display, it should result in a larger turnout for the event. I would like as much as possible set up on Sunday from Noon to 5 or 6, and have a hard cut off date for Tuesday evening, since I have to be travel to the gallery to make sure everyone can get in. To that end, if you do not wish to drop of your MOCs at Dan’s prior to Sunday, I will be at the gallery Monday from 3-8, and the same for Tuesday evening. If you cannot make any of those times, and would still like to contribute, please let me know. I would also like to put together a hard list of what is being contributed by each person to the display.I would like to have the display completely ready by Wednesday. I’ll also be posting this on the forum.

As to the contributions, as I understand them so far:

Andrew:
    Redcoat ship, 4 corners of CCC standard fort, central baseplate for fort. 3 9volt trails, 1 RC train

Tim:
    2 CCC standard walls

Matt:
    2 CCC standard walls

Dan:
    Bluecoat Fleet

Doug:
    Medieval Village

Rich:
    4 Starfighters

Josh:
    Sidney Crosbrick, Cathedral of Learning, HP/Volde lenticular mosaic, The LUG banner, 1 bin of my personal unsorted,
    my 2 dig cubes +16 wide filler cube, mini ‘brick the bridge’

Please help me update this list so that I can plan where the risers and tables need to be in the gallery. If you need to get ahold of me quickly, my phone number is (412) 523-9882

Rodney Bistline
    Participant

Hello again! Has a time for set up been determined for Sunday? I would be available to bring some of my stuff and assist with a bit of set up if the need is there.

I’ve got a ton of small and medium sized starfighters, a few robots/mechs to contribute to fill as much space as needed. You can feel free to check my Flickr gallery and make requests. Almost everything is still assembled.

Looking forward to getting involved!

Rodney

Good to see you, Rodney. I will be at the gallery on Sunday from Noon until about 5-6pm (depending on when Dan and I get tired/ hungry/ frustrated.) I am looking forward to seeing your projects in person.

Rodney Bistline
    Participant
    Doug
    Participant

I’ll be showing up on Monday at 6PM. Dan–can you add any details about parking?

Future Tenant has some parking right in front, available at 6pm. I will hopefully be able to block it off with a few cones for our use. If not, the gallery is attached to the garage there.

Dan
    Participant

Since my car isn’t up here I don’t have a space in my apartment’s lot. I would recommend trying Oakland Ave, then Bates street coming up from the post office. Atwood may also have space. The lots are patrolled periodically by tow trucks, so it’s not a great bet. If you’re quick I’ve seen people pull up on the sidewalk in front of the building.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Andrew, here are the five formal names for the starfighters from the Project G series:
    FS-39G Warlock
    FS-40G Gladiator
    FS-41G Banshee
    FS-42G Sovereign

I can also display the XFS-01 Noctis starfighter as well, bringing that to five MOCs.

If I can get about 12 of these

light bley Tecnhic axle connecter with fork

I can repair the FS-38G Paladin and display that too for a SIXTH starfighter MOC.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar