techniques, let me show you them

Home Forums LUG discussions techniques, let me show you them

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

I don’t think we have a techniques thread yet. Something useful. NPUs (new part usage), etc.

Quiet Study at Naughtston Abby

dat airtank usage!!!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I see the airtanks and the ring – nice tricks! What is going on at the top of the book shelf though?

Josh
    Keymaster

those are legs!

CMF paint roller greebling!

Before the mission...

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Very nice, both images.

Josh
    Keymaster

Pirate 100

NPU for train tracks!

Dan
    Participant

I recommend checking the Unitron pool in general as many builds have interesting designs, but one of my favorites is doors used as wings!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Dan – did you read the multiple “love the color choices” comments on that little guy? Proof that Unitron rules, but also proof that not every person commenting on LEGO posts on flickr understands that the color pallette was predetermined…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I don’t know if this counts as a ‘technique’ necessarily, but I don’t know where else to post it, it seems better here than the ‘ideas’ thread.

LEGO MOVIE

Specifically, I am posting this pic for the lime/medium azure/blue path made of 1×6 plates. The motivation for this is that at the Trolley Museum in June, I was part of a conversation with Laura and David where one of them (don’t remember) said they have a huge supply of 1×4 plates and they were trying to think of something good to use them all up. So I thought of that as soon as I saw this pic.

David H Donley
    Participant

Ben, that was me. I was playing around with brick bending with the LUG bulk. Interesting thing is that the colors they used are the same colors I was playing with, and I made the exact same thing. I didn’t like the gaps, it seemed messy. Of course the angle makes the difference. The LUG has about 5,000 1×4 plates in blue, light blue, and lime green.

David H Donley
    Participant

I see they filled the gaps with trans 1×1’s though. I didn’t do that.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I was less interested in the bending part and more in the color combination and the striped path made from plates, so even if you just made a straight path that way or used it for something different, like a wall or a slide or something, it would be cool.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster
    David H Donley
    Participant

Just check out the floor…

OMG those cracks. Amazing. I need to do this.

Tom Frost
    Participant

@hannah133 here is another idea that might work (photo below)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Tom Frost.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Hannah Dow
    Participant

Tom can you elaborate how this would work? I’m not home right now to build a mock up. Right now, I’m thinking of creating a mix between a geneva drive and a linear reciprocal mechanism. Basically the linear arm would engage the Geneva drive so the Ferris wheel would go around a whole loop before it started doing the stop/go.

Tom Frost
    Participant

how this would work

The black axle is your input. The grey axle is output. The 8 tooth gears mounted on the wedge belt wheels creates a sector gear. So when the input rotates, while the portion with the 8 toothers meshes with the 24 tooth gear, the output rotates. When the input gets to the voids, the output pauses. It sounds like you have a good plan though.

Josh
    Keymaster

geeks.

Josh
    Keymaster
    Hannah Dow
    Participant

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask these questions but has anyone figured out a way to fix/save old lego stickers? I’ve recently dug out a few of my old sets from storage and many of the stickers are cracking away in pieces. Is there any possibility of saving?

Additionally, anyone have any experience with removing sharpie from bricks/minifig parts? I recently picked up a tub of used lego and some kid took a sharpie to almost every minifig torso and it hurts to look at them lol I’m not sure if there’s anything to use that’ll take the sharpie off but not the print…

Josh
    Keymaster

I don’t know of anything for the stickers. rubbing alcohol or even gel hand sanitizer has worked for me with sharpie and such. used a q-tip or cotton swab.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

If the stickers are cracking, you are probably not going to save them. What about coating them with something clear?

The honorable solution to replacing your stickers is probably not cheap and the cheap solution is probably not honorable. 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

The honorable solution to replacing your stickers is probably not cheap and the cheap solution is probably not honorable.

Greg sets ’em up, so I can knock ’em down:

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar