There are celebrities among us

Home Forums Off Topic There are celebrities among us

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

So, I’ve just heard an awesome story about one of our members and a claim to LEGO related fame. So awesome, I’ll let them share it. I know there are others with claims to fame, LEGO and non-LEGO related. What’s your story?

David H Donley
    Participant

You gotta share. Hates being teased.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Alrighty hi everyone 🙂 So during my junior year of high school, I saw a contest in LEGO Club magazine for a Harry Potter related build. You were to build your favorite scene from Harry Potter and, being an avid fan, I immediately began giving thought to this. I decided to build the scene where Harry and Cedric both reach for the Triwizard Cup (the portkey) at the same time in the maze during the Triwizard Tournament (4th book). This isn’t my favorite scene, but I came up with a build idea so I went from there. I built Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory minifigure style figures, about 17in tall each. They do all the same functions as a regular minifig (arms move, hands move, hips and legs move, the head turns, and all the parts come off easily like the normal fig). I also built the Triwizard Cup and that’s about 10in tall. That took awhile to gather all of the clear parts, and if you look at the pics, I had to use white parts too.
    Well I submitted my entry in December 2010, and I found out I made the Top 50 around February. At this point, it went up on the Lego Club website for a fan vote. I then found out in April that I got in the Top 4 in the nation and that meant that I won a trip to Los Angeles, CA for a LEGO/Warner Bros. Harry Potter build off event. So myself and my family were flown out to LA in June 2011. They put us up in the Hilton across from Universal Studios and during our 3-day stay there, we toured Warner Bros. Studios where we saw a Harry Potter Exhibit, were given LEGOLAND Tickets to use, and were the guests of honor at the Harry Potter event where we participated in a build off event. In this build-off, they gave us a tub of Harry Potter Lego parts and didn’t tell us the category until the build off began. I think the category had to do with build something you would associate Hogwarts. It was all good fun, just to see what we could build and I built Tom Riddle’s Diary with the basilisk fang stabbed through it. We were given an hour in front of a lot of people and afterwards we all received some Harry Potter Lego sets (The Burrow, The Knight Bus, and Battle at Hogwarts) and I got 3 Harry Potter Wands (Harry’s, Hermione’s, and the Elder Wand) from the people from Warner Bros. Masterbuilder Dan Steininger MC’d the event, so I got to meet him and I met a lot of people from Warner Bros. but I still keep in contact with this guy named George who does PR stuff for WB. It was all so much fun and a great experience 🙂
    So yea that’s my story haha 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar