Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

• This topic has 1,429 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Tim.
Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 1,448 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

losing a bit of their clutch

possibly explained by temporary expansion at higher temperatures – I had not thought of that

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I keep most of mine up in the attic and have done so for years and years. I have an attic fan. I haven’t had any problems.

I consider the hot car a bigger problem, if they’re getting direct sunlight, they can warp, I’ve seen it happen to other people’s stuff. In the 80’s, I remember cassette tape cases permanently warping in my dad’s car (although they looked pretty neat, it was like some kind of modern sculpture).

My stuff’s in the attic cause the room I want to use for storage in the basement is not currently climate-controlled. And unlike the attic, it is not dry, so mold will grow on stuff. I’ve read that the plastic storage containers we use are not air-tight, even the ones with locking handles, unless they’re labeled as such. And as I recall, air-tight storage containers are prohibitively expensive.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Also, GNM* has something to say about Tim’s last post.

*Grammar Nazi Matt

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Also, GNM* has something to say about Tim’s last post.

I’m trying to be more forgiving, and I’m definitely trying not to use Nazi as a punchline these days…

But if you really must know, I can provide the requisite information.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m trying to be more forgiving

I appreciate the grace, it will save time not having to proofread posts.

Tim

But if you really must know, I can provide the requisite information.

I’m guessing it’s related to the use of the word “Lego”, although there may be another error there. While I generally try to be correct, I don’t proof read posts like I do legal documents. :-p

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m guessing it’s related to the use of the word “Lego”, although there may be another error there. While I generally try to be correct, I don’t proof read posts like I do legal documents. :-p

I don’t want to pick on you, since you came to my aid on the Ambassador thread. But in the interest of clarification:

A friend of mine in Richmond had a small house and stored all of his Lego (brick and MOCs) in his attic for years without any noticeable harm.

– yes, LEGO should be all caps, but I was gonna let that slide because informality in the forums is no biggie.

Richmond is know for it’s slightly warm summers

– I really am trying to not say stuff every time someone slips up grammatically (or spiritually, or ecumenically… ***WARNING: End of this video is a troll, and very loud. But the beginning is the important part.***) And GN is an offensive and problematic term, according to the internet, and I’m trying to stop using it. Because Nazis are evil, but a love for grammatical accuracy is not. But Ben forced my hand here, so I must answer… Strong Bad knows the answer to the question! Scalawag! (translation: Richmond ‘possesses’ its winters, therefore, they’re “its” winters, not “it’s” winters.

– also, you left off the “n” in “known”, but that’s just a typo.

Love,

The Grammarist (see? WAY less problematic!)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Yeah I was wondering about that, I thought maybe by going with GNM, it would at least hide it. But technically, the word Nazi is still in there. So I’m gonna go with what Matt said, The Grammarist sounds like a good option.

I was also considering posting Strong Bad’s grammar songs here on Tim, but I’ve already posted it twice on Josh and it clearly didn’t help, since Josh’s grammar has not improved, and it did not get me a trophy from Micah.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

was also considering posting Strong Bad’s grammar songs here on Tim, but I’ve already posted it twice on Josh and it clearly didn’t help, since Josh’s grammar has not improved, and it did not get me a trophy from Micah.

Let’s be honest… you were gone a long time. If I were you, I’d take my 2017 “Back From The Dead” award and be content.

Now, if you want to try and win “The Grammarist” in 2018, you’ve plenty of time to post Strong Bad’s grammar songs between now and Steel City LUG’s 6th Birthday Bash…

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Tim

Strong Bad’s grammar songs

I prefer Weird Al’s Word Crimeshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc – as musical guidance on matters of the Queen’s English. 😛

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I prefer Weird Al’s Word Crimes

Part of me says “can’t we like both Strong Bad and Weird Al?” (I know I do.)

However, that part of me is vastly overshadowed by the part of me that says “Blurred Lines” is in contention for The Worst Song Ever (main competition: Beyonce’s “Single Ladies”), and probably wins, because of how sketchy (and that’s being nice) the subject matter is.

Unfortunately for Mr. Yankovic, it’s simply too hard to divorce his parody from the original song, so I can’t really listen to it. :/

Tim

IMHO, Word Crimes is a much better song than Blurred Lines. When the parody outshines the original, that says as much about the original than the parody.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

excuse to have Pitt buy as a sweet 3D printer

… and then we could start printing our own Mr. Gold minifigs

But srsly, once they are presented with the project price tag, they could start figuring this out and building it for themselves … maybe even hire some CMU undergrads to design and print it cheaply.

Pete
    Participant

They want Lego. We need to build with Lego not 3-D printed pieces. I am pretty sure they are probably very capable of doing it for themselves out of printed pieces if thats what they wanted to do.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

They want Lego.

I want a BMW, but when I see how much they cost, I feel differently.

they are probably very capable of doing it for themselves

The University could make it themselves REGARDLESS of what material is used. Most organizations that pay for big projects get quotes from multiple sources.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

And yet some people will still pay for a BMW. I have to go with Pete on this one. Maybe if you ask them, they’ll say a 3D-printed version is fine, but until you actually hear them say that, the idea that this is an option is purely speculative.

I also don’t see why we would want to go this route. We don’t own a 3D printer. I’m pretty sure the idea that they would pay so we can buy one is wishful thinking. At that point, knowledge of Lego is no longer what’s most important to this project, it would be knowledge of 3D printing. It would be much cheaper and effective for them to sub it out to somebody who already has a printer and has experience designing for it and using it. If we brought it up with them, all we’d be doing is giving them reasons to not keep us involved.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It would be much cheaper and effective for them to sub it out to somebody who already has a printer and has experience designing for it and using it

exactly!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

… and then we could start printing our own Mr. Gold minifigs

See, this bit belongs on #threadjacking… but the “but srsly” part (and Pete and Ben’s replies) belong back on the Project Panther thread, I would contend… somewhat jocular, to be sure, but still relevant to the discussion and whether or not we should proceed with said project.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was at a Kmart yesterday and they had the new advent calendars out. I am excited to report that it has a Hannah minifig flying a remote control helicopter!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Here’s a LUG with somebody who knows how to build a good tunnel:

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Meh. I’m more impressed with the Planet Express building in the next photo…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I still don’t know where the Denmark thread is. What’s our departure time tomorrow? Pics or it didn’t happen.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

What Denmark thread? I know LUGDoug is excited about Instagramming his trip…

Josh
    Keymaster

Duplo Invades The LEGO Movie 2

lego movie sequel.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Does anyone in the LUG live near Uniontown, PA? My dear wife would like a specific folding chair from Target to match her set and we cannot find it in stock elsewhere and its apparently not eligble to ship to store.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 1,448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar