Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 1,448 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

a little project I worked on today:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Sometimes I worry about you, Greg.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

eye kay are

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

eye kay are

ell oh ell zee!

David Bacon
    Participant

Toys R Us is going to begin closing stores in February. Here is the list in PA that are closing. I have made bold the ones on the west side of the state:

Pennsylvania

1061 N. Dupont Highway, Dover PA

100 Welsh Road, Horsham PA

6680 Peach St., Erie PA

3700 William Penn Highway, Monroeville PA

104 Bartlett Ave., Exton PA

2003 Cheryl Dr., Ross Park Mall PA

301 Oakspring Road, Washington PA

Route 18/Valley View Dr., Beaver Valley PA

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yeah, what about WV panhandle or Eastern Ohio stores?

David Bacon
    Participant

Yeah, what about WV panhandle or Eastern Ohio stores?

@philmatt24
    , I’ll let you do the checking

Toys R Us Will Close 180 Stores Across the US

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Too much work; I’m unlikely to be driving around looking for discounts on overpriced LEGO any time soon, anyway.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The 50th Anniversary of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood is this year. It seems like we ought to do something related to that. Josh has already taken care of modeling inside his house. Someone else has already built Trolley, right?

Anyone interested in building the Land Of Make Believe? I might attempt a micro-scale just for fun.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Oh, did anyone else hear that Tom Hanks was going to play Fred Rogers in an upcoming movie? 🙂

Rich Millich
    Participant

I mean, for rainbow warriors or color enthusiasts like such as @zaximillian or myself

I think the Classic boxes are a terrible deal as they are a way to force Rainbow Warrior building as a gateway to buy more brick. Instead, I favor the opposite end of the Classic color design scale from TLG, and that is the Creator line. This is so much so that I recommend this line to all new builders that I talk with at events to gather their initial part collection with.

I am a color *blocking* enthusiast, not interested in the colors themselves. I like working with color groupings and specific proportions thereof, as color blocking is vital for making a consistent set of builds and making the most of shaping and contrast. Individual colors don’t interest me much, unless colors have an inherent function, such as fluorescing bricks for Glow Zone, transparent colors for extra clutch and non-solid effects, or assigning greeble colors. It’s the palette that’s much more useful, and all palettes begin with the Lego core colors (red, white and blue, black and yellow) and “the bleys”, as these colors have the greatest population and variety. Therefore, I cringe at the Classic line, but will buy 3-4 sets of a small MOCable Creator set at a time.

Sean Collins
    Participant
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

https://www.walmart.com/cp/lego/1105635?u1=&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=CY3NkS*Y9qw&sourceid=22446089013391802724&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

Ill just leave this here

This was not available as of 11:00 on Feb 2 and its not available on the morning of Feb 3. Maybe they all sold out at exactly midnight, but maybe they were never available. Hmm.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Compare the front pages of different LUGs. I think Steel City LUG’s homepage should have a lot more images of LEGO projects made by its members. Can someone with webpage design experience give it a facelift?

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

logic flaw:
    1) why is what other lugs do something we should do?
    2) a change would first require high resolution photos of intentional composition.

I’ll add it to the agenda, to say again though. I’m not interested in webdesign or maintenance any longer.

Josh
    Keymaster

The 50th Anniversary of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood is this year. It seems like we ought to do something related to that. Josh has already taken care of modeling inside his house. Someone else has already built Trolley, right?

Anyone interested in building the Land Of Make Believe? I might attempt a micro-scale just for fun.

I had ambitions to do a small scale LoMB a few years back, when Laura brought up the idea for having a Daniel Tiger trolley event. I think it’s a great idea. it could work as a great collaboration work, with people taking different fixtures of the landscape.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Its not about comparing to other LUGs really, its about a homepage that doesn’t have visual appeal and isn’t really apparently about LEGO.

If the site is only for people who are already in the LUG then it doesn’t matter, but was thinking about the goals of attracting new members and gaining recognition.

Admittedly, I graduated from college without ever hearing the word internet, so I know nothing about webpage design, but I wouldn’t expect that adding photos of impressive builds, like the SW Randall display, to our opening page to be that difficult.

Josh
    Keymaster

visual appeal is subjective. As is it’s correlation to attracting new members and gaining recognition.

The flickr slideshow shows the most recent pictures added to the lug stream, and no one has to do additional work to get it to show on this page.

The text explains who we are and invites people to join. It may not be as pretty as most would like, but I don’t think you can argue the pure function.

Tim

Would it be relatively easy to move the Flickr feed to the top of the homepage and maybe make it bigger? That would give more emphasis on the pictures with no sacrifice of function.

Josh
    Keymaster

done.

Duncan
    Participant
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Mini camera to video your builds:

About 2/3 of the reviews (44 total) give it a 5 star rating on Amazon, but it still seems too good to be true. One negative rating claimed that it only lasted 100 minutes.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> One negative rating claimed that it only lasted 100 minutes.

I think he’s referring to the battery life, which is mentioned in the Q&A, not the overall life of the camera. Since it’s billed as a spy camera, having only 60-100 minutes of battery in a situation where plugging it into the wall would give away its location, I can see how this would be a problem. For Lego videos though, it’s not. I’m still tempted, I might order one. The big thing I noticed is that it requires a micro-SD card, and I don’t know anything about them or how much they cost.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Although I just found another Q&A that says the battery life is 30 to 90 minutes ‘depending on the mode being used’. It also records a maximum of 5 minutes at a time before starting a new clip.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I think it’s a great idea. it could work as a great collaboration work, with people taking different fixtures of the landscape.

I did the castle, anyone want to add on?

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 1,448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar