Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 1,450 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

I don’t think the foil hat fits well on your, Greg.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

We should totes have an Incredibles movie night, though. And maybe build an epic MOC of Syndrome’s island…?

Tom Frost
    Participant

@JoshHall

#proof

There are lots more examples of this technique throughout the early to mid 1970’s

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

hmmm…Though I admit I have never seen this before, I contest on a technicality (TECHNICality). That is a 1×1 plate, centered between 4 studs, where there would not be as much stress placed as a wider plate, that would squeeze between the smallest gap of 2 studs.

http://lego.brickinstructions.com/lego_instructions/set/370/Police_Headquarters

Meaning, it’s not the same connection. It’s, in my opinion, more akin to a free standing plate, which may be why that “connection” is not practice today, because it wouldn’t hold up to playability standards.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I contest on a technicality (TECHNICality). That is a 1×1 plate, centered between 4 studs, where there would not be as much stress placed as a wider plate, that would squeeze between the smallest gap of 2 studs.

OK, I see your point, so here is some further evidence:

the second picture is set 610 “Vintage car” from 1973

The third is set 609 “Aeroplane” from 1972

Attachments:
    Tim

Many of my earliest sets from the 1970s use this connection (as Tom points out above). I was actually surprised the first time I came across the term “illegal connection” in reference to this since I had seen it so often as a child.

Josh
    Keymaster

Yeah, here’s the gist of it-

1. Lego did it officially in the 70s. (Josh was wrong)
    2. For whatever reason, lego stopped doing it 3. until very recently.
    3. We all have done it since the 70s anyway.

Unless we got LEGO to make an official comment (maybe one already exists…). It’s all moot. It was and is.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

NERDS.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Does anyone need inexpensive basic transportation? Our Prius has new tires and is inspected until the summer.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am close to finishing a new Polar Express North Pole building. I am still waiting for some parts to arrive.

This building has no intended purpose, (ie. post office, candy factory, etc.) my intention was to make something like the buildings in the book and the movie. I also wanted to incorporate certain parts from the last two LUGbulk orders, particularly the windows and the roof.

Attachments:
    Tim

Very nice, Greg. It definitely has the feel of a “Polar Express” North Pole building.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I am close to finishing a new Polar Express North Pole building.

Dat’s rill purty.

Tom Frost
    Participant

A very handsome building @greg !

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Huh, for most of this year Greg has been sending me pics by email of new stuff he’s built, but not this one, sniff. I guess now that I’m posting on steelcitylug.com again instead of emailing him all the time, Greg’s breaking up with me 🙁 Good thing I checked this thread.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I thought I would be able to save parts by not building the back the same as the front. But then I felt compelled to make the inside presentable which meant I could not use the less expensive modified bricks that are flat on one side and have something sticking out the other side. Also I had to build somewhat of an interior, so I am not sure if this is less part-intensive. One definite advantage to not having a back is that it is easier to reach inside to fix things.

Note: I actually used some LUGbulk 2016 parts! 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Prius

asking price is $1600

Attachments:
    Pete
    Participant

Is soliciting non Lego products allowed on this website.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

asking price is $1600

Wait, what year / how many miles / how does it do on slippy roads n’at?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is soliciting non Lego products allowed on this website.

IDK, are Chipotle and hoodies considered to be LEGO products?

Wait, what year / how many miles / how does it do on slippy roads n’at?

2006 / 197,000 / front wheel drive with snow tires

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

IDK, are Chipotle and hoodies considered to be LEGO products?

Lulz.

2006 / 197,000 / front wheel drive with snow tires

Dang, that’s a lotta miles…

Rich Millich
    Participant

I bought eight Husky 16-bay bin organizers, each one like $8 at Home Depot. Sorting my parts into these things has reeeeeally made parts more portable to events and my general inventory is much easier to see through the overhead top than it was through the front of slide-out drawers.
    I recommend these.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I bought eight Husky 16-bay bin organizers, each one like $8 at Home Depot.

Something like this, only cheaper…?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Hey @timf, you’ve probably mentioned this before and I forgot, do you have a rule of thumb as to how many feet represent one brick height? Do modular buildings conform to a standard scale? Do you know of any LEGO-wide standards for minifig scale?

Tim

I will normally use 5 bricks high per floor as a standard height. However, the larger buildings sometimes get compressed – for example, the Gulf building uses 3 bricks per floor.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 1,450 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar