what the heck is Greg doing?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! what the heck is Greg doing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

This thread is going to be about my current LEGO projects. The first post starts with a polybag set called Happy Turtle that I got at Target, that you could get for free if you bought certain FRIENDS sets.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=151702#T=S&O={“iconly”:0}

I’m not sure how this is $3 set is related to the FRIENDS theme unless it is intended to be a giant sea turtle that washed up on a beach at one of their resorts. However the current theme is winter sports, so mister turtle is a little slow to arrive on the scene.

As mentioned elsewhere, Target did not have Halloween polybags this year. 🙁 However LEGO online had a really good Halloween set for $10. Like many of the seasonal sets, S@H sold out, but you might still be able to get one at a brick and more LEGO store.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=157234#T=S&O={“iconly”:0}

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m not clear on how happy turtles and Halloween sets relate to Greg’s projects…

…the mystery deepens!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Okay, I’m subscribed, but the lack of 6-foot Christmas tree updates here is very disappointing.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

“Patience you must have …”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I’m not clear on how happy turtles and Halloween sets relate to Greg’s projects…
    >
    >> …the mystery deepens!

Yeah I’m wondering that also. Although I guess it answers the question of ‘What the heck is Greg doing’ with the answer of ‘Shopping for small obscure sets and posting about it.’

Also, if we’re the only three people on this thread, I don’t see how it doesn’t turn into a giant threadjack.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Also, if we’re the only three people on this thread, I don’t see how it doesn’t turn into a giant threadjack.

oh SNAP!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was also working on a sign that says Welcome to Hogwarts. I have a sign that is made out of metal in my classroom

and I asked Hannah if she was able to create plans for a LEGO version. She came up with a really interesting design but the finished product may have over 2,000 pieces. At an upper limit ten cents per part rate, that makes a $15 sign into a $200 sign. LUG supplies or LUGbulk could significantly reduce the cost. Regardless, here is the latest version of the design.

Attachments:
    Tim

This thread could become as long-lasting as the THREADJACKING thread.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Lol I’ve subbed, this could get interesting. I think that sign would be amazing but yea, at just about 5 baseplates long, it’s hard to see it come to life but I believe in you!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

as long-lasting as the THREADJACKING thread

“Hold onto threads because if threads die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.” – cat poster

One of my current project is Simpson’s houses. I received the pieces pictured below as large fragments. I want to make a snow covered roof for the regular house and then build a more detailed gray version of the house for the brown roof. I’ve only assembled the garage and part of the front door area so far.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Today the winter 2017 LEGO catalog arrived. It has basically the same stuff as the last one although I was surprised to see the 70912 Arkham Asylum from the Batman movie that was discounted and “soon to be discontinued” at S@H in the catalog back at full price. Fake news.

But I am MOST interested in the LEGO Life “Holiday Building Challenge.” However, since I don’t have a device which downloads apps, and my son shattered his phone, I have no way to see it. I cannot find information about it online. However, I think I could scrape together an entry, if I knew the criteria.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I had the old fishing store in my shopping cart on the Shop at Home (S@H) site for many weeks. Now that they are offering double points AND including a couple of free sets I could no longer resist. I got the VIP and an Easter set in the package that arrived yesterday.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I got the Simpson’s house together. A handful of pieces were missing from the structure, but there were enough to incorporate it into a future display.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Now that they are offering double points AND including a couple of free sets I could no longer resist. I got the VIP and an Easter set in the package that arrived yesterday.

Izzat VIP set worth it? Seems kinda cool, but… I wasn’t supposed to be spending $ on LEGO right now…

Pete
    Participant

I want to know what the easter set is. The double points ended on the 25th. I was able to snag 2 of the vip sets.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I want to know what the easter set is.

Isn’t it the chicken suit guy that’s in Greg’s haul pic in this post?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

the chicken suit guy

yes, he’s came with a cardboard henhouse

The double points ended on the 25th.

they will be back before black Friday, and there will be some other $20 holiday set given away then

Izzat VIP set worth it?

I thought the LEGO employee was rather unique, but I’m probably not going to open it anytime soon :}

Will McDine
    Participant

I want to know what the easter set is. The double points ended on the 25th. I was able to snag 2 of the vip sets.

Lucky. I had to almost pry it out the Employees hands at the Beachwood Store. I asked when I got there if they had them, his reply was no. So I asked the Lady employee about them and she said they had some in the back, SO she brought one up for me, told the guy I had talked to first about where she put it so if he was the one to scan and check out my order……. THEN he almost “forgot” to put it in my bag…… Something tells me either it was the one he had set aside for himself, OR NEOLUG has first dibs. Also mentioned that his store manager had one locked up in their safe…..

Anyways, I also have the turtle poly bag in question. I like it. Simple but overall cute build. Well worth it.

Pete
    Participant

The gorl at the West Nyack store was awesome. I was going to make two seperate purchases so i could get 2 of the VIP set but she was able to get me two of the set with one order.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The next double VIP days start Nov 18. Plus, for Black Friday they will have a couple of small free sets. TARGET sent me this enticing coupon for 20% off, but the small print indicates that the coupon excludes LEGO. 🙂 Thanks, Obama.

Attachments:
    Tim

Izzat VIP set worth it?

I’m hoping this one sells very well. As much as the licensed sets are great, I don’t want to see Lego lose its ability to come up with unique new sets.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was working on an airport and a runway for the jumbo jet 60022 several weeks ago. I also got a fire plane 4209 and a small 60101 cargo plane for the set. When I was looking for planes, I also found a used DUPLO plane,

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=52920&in=S

which I purchased in case anyone ever likes my idea of having a shorter table, in front of our display, for little kids who actually want to touch something.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I saw this tiny LEGO tree at Target and thought it might be easier to complete than my current project. However, the more I looked at it, the more I realized that there is probably no tree in this box which shows a tree made out of LEGO. I could not find online inventories of this set, so I have been unable to confirm my suspicion.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I got the Christmas tree sculpture pieces off the table and reassembled it on to the floor. With the pieces leaning on each other, the sculpture is sturdy, but individually the pieces are very fragile. I anticipate that there is more reinforcement work ahead.

I think I’ve gotten over the biggest hurdle, matching the base of the tree to the table label. I am now on level 89, and since each subsequent level is smaller, the levels go progressively faster. The biggest challenge now is not stepping on what has already been built.

For now, I am building the top half, with a base that is 96 studs wide, as one continuous piece.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I got the Christmas tree sculpture pieces off the table and reassembled it on to the floor.

I think I’ve gotten over the biggest hurdle, matching the base of the tree to the table label. I am now on level 89, and since each subsequent level is smaller, the levels go progressively faster.

And Greg said,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 371 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar