2023 Q1 build challenge -Micropolis build

Home Forums MOCs Build challenges! 2023 Q1 build challenge -Micropolis build

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Skipper Mike
    Participant

I was watching JK Brickworks’ live stream today and he was building on a micropolis scale. I thought it could be a good build challenge to kick start a collaborative micropolis build for display.

Micropolis Standard

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Josh.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I like the humor in that build standard. Seems right up our homepage’s alley.

We’ve said similar before, but worth noting is that small-scale stuff like this is a great way for people with limitations (time, parts / cash to spend on parts, experience / confidence) to get involved. Try one 16×16 module, then gradually build more if ya wanna!

John S
    Participant

Caught that stream a bit today too. I do love the idea of micro scale for the reasons listed. Might want to give it a try myself.

Of course then he adds the movement and takes it to the next level.

Josh
    Keymaster

Sounds like we have a 2023 Q1 build challenge, yeah?

Skipper Mike
    Participant

Sounds like we have a 2023 Q1 build challenge, yeah?

Works for me. Are you able to change the thread title?

Tim Brown
    Participant

Cool. Will be interesting to see what people come up with.

Tim

OK, so in reviewing the Micropolis standard, it says 1 brick is approx. 9 feet in height. The Steel Tower is 840 feet tall so that would mean that a Micropolis Steel Tower should be 93 bricks tall? That would be like twice the height of my microscale building in this picture. That seems wrong to me. Am I missing something?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Will McDine
    Participant

I like the idea. Do we wanna do this as best Microscale City Block? or best Micro scale anything?

Dan
    Participant

I like this idea! The Flickr pool is pretty inspiring.

I vote for best 16×16 quarter-block rather than full city block.

Dan Efran
    Participant

This seems fun.

I noticed that the standard says “1 x 2 Technic bricks with one hole” but the picture below that shows a 1×4 with three holes. The flickr pool shows some of each in the wild, and some longer technic bricks too. If you’re only using one pin it doesn’t matter, of course.

Renée
    Participant

Giving the first quarter build challenge thread a bump

Skipper Mike
    Participant

Do we wanna do this as best Microscale City Block?

Specifically, it’s for the 16×16 quarter block. The idea is that they all connect for an entire city build.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Bumping to keep this on folks’ radar…

#MattNeverBuildsAnything

#Challenge….Accepted? 😉

Mitch
    Participant

This will definitely be a challenge for me but I am looking forward to it. Having all our builds make a little city would be neat. As for theme of our city, I have something in mind that will be different than just standard city but I think will still mesh well, is that okay?

Dan
    Participant

As for theme of our city, I have something in mind that will be different than just standard city but I think will still mesh well, is that okay?

It’s a build challenge so whatever you want to do is fair game. If we use these in a display later it’ll still work – our displays often end up being a mishmash of themes and styles anyway!

Tim

#MattNeverBuildsAnything

#Challenge….Accepted?

You’re accepting the challenge of not building anything?

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

You’re accepting the challenge of not building anything?

Attachments:
    Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

I’m sorry I can’t be at the Q1 meeting but I did want to participate in the build challenge. Please note that my base is lacking the sidewalks because I don’t have them yet. So I hope you can overlook that. I had fun doing this, and maybe went a little overboard on vehicles. I feel like my building is some type of telecommunications office building. Have fun at the meeting, hope to see you next time.

Attachments:
    Tom Frost
    Participant

I posted in the Q1 meeting thread, but will cross-post here since this has been bumped. Jonah and I will volunteer to judge the challenge if there is not already a judge lined up.

Mitch
    Participant

Bob is the judge, maybe a 3 judge panel?

Logan C
    Participant

Here’s my finished Micro build! I didn’t have the parts with me to make a physical build, so I went digital. But don’t worry, I didn’t cheat. 100% legal techniques and existing part colors.

Wanted to get super creative, so I made this crazy flying saucer leaving crop circles in a field and destroying a bridge!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Logan C.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Logan C.
    Attachments:
    Bob Grier
    Participant

@tfdesigns, I’m fine with a 3 judge panel if you and Jonah want to join me!

Dan Efran
    Participant

Here’s my building.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Dan Efran. Reason: Image fixing
    Attachments:
    Krista K

Everyone really did an awesome job with this. Do you think there’s value in sharing with Paula for the store display?

Dan
    Participant

I think that sounds like a great idea! I’d be happy to send my farm.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar