Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 1,201 through 1,225 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Renée
    Participant

Or if you’re coming home and forgot to get your kiddo a gift…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Puzzle: what about this photo indicates that these clocks might NOT be in good working order?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

The only difference between them is the symbol at the bottom middle, which I assume to be for alarm…. He says they’re like new and in good working order…I give up.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The clocks in my previous post all have different times showing, which I found to be unconvincing.

Anyway, I am planning to place an order with the The LEGO Group’s latest online version of Pick a Brick. It would qualify for free shipping and no handling fee, but is for parts that are not considered “best sellers” (according to the site.) Does anyone want to add to this order?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

old school LEGO

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

@rcgrier3406 or @timf are you anywhere near Yorktown VA today? I saw the most amazing deal on 80’s LEGO castle sets – for pickup only.

Bob Grier
    Participant

@greg, 376 miles away!!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

So a student said he was going to the Cincinnati LEGO store over Labor Day weekend because his parents live near there. He asked if I wanted anything so I told him that if he saw white 1x2x2/3 slopes or clear 2×2 window glass that I would take a whole cup.

Attached is a photo of what he brought back. I probably never would have chosen car doors, but it has finally occurred that car doors could make interesting roof tiles … it will be a good challenge to determine how to make that happen … although @hacim and his friends have probably already done this. 🙂

Attachments:
    Tim

are you anywhere near Yorktown VA today? I saw the most amazing deal on 80’s LEGO castle sets – for pickup only.

@greg Nope. Was in Virginia 2 weeks ago.

Joseph G
    Participant

@rcgrier3406 or @timf are you anywhere near Yorktown VA today? I saw the most amazing deal on 80’s LEGO castle sets – for pickup only.

I may have someone nearby, can you let me know what you found?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> He asked if I wanted anything so I told him that if he saw white 1x2x2/3 slopes
    >
    >> Attached is a photo of what he brought back. I probably never would have chosen car doors, but it has finally occurred that car doors could make interesting roof tiles … it will be a good challenge to determine how to make that happen

So they had white 1x2x2/3 slopes and he got you some but then filled most of it with other parts? On his report card, under Following Instructions, are you going to give him an F? To me, that looks like a pile of useful white slopes and a bigger pile of stuff I don’t want. Also, that does not look like enough doors to make a roof big enough to keep somebody dry. I have seen it done in castle builds, it usually looks pretty cool.

>> Josh’s post about the airport reminded me that I saw this vending machine there in February …

Oh man, that looks awesome, they did not have vending machines like that when I was a kid. And my mom is probably glad, because it would have just led to an increase in nagging from me.

>> The clocks in my previous post all have different times showing, which I found to be unconvincing.

I figured it out 😛 Although I’m guessing a more likely explanation is that it was laziness in accurate time setting by the owner, combined with laziness in adjusting to Daylight Savings.

>>> Anyway, I am planning to place an order with the The LEGO Group’s latest online version of Pick a Brick. It would qualify for free shipping and no handling fee, but is for parts that are not considered “best sellers” (according to the site.) Does anyone want to add to this order?

Sorry, I never replied to this. I have a big order in my cart, but I need to pay for it with VIP points. I need to figure out how to time the order so it doesn’t arrive when I’m out of town. Also, how’d you get free shipping? I didn’t realize that was an option on this. The order I did last spring had very low shipping, it was less than $3 for an order that was more than $100, but free it definitely was not.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

oh well, maybe one of George Washington’s descendants got them

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Even the price of LEGO gas has gone crazy!

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

A creative mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Josh
    Keymaster
    Krista K

Cool concept. Expensive, but an interesting way to add motion.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> this show up in anyone else’s facebook feed?

I’m interested in seeing if they make their goal. The concept here is at least ten years old. I’ve seen it done with regular Lego chain link going around gears and powered by either 9V or PF motors. The upper surface was either road plates or 8×16 tiles. The lower magnets were the type used in the M-Tron sets. I believe the upper magnets were non-Lego. I saw one where they were doing cars like in the Kickstarter videos, and one where it was peasants wearing skirts (the 2x2x2 slope, which could hold a magnet underneath) in a castle setting. I can’t remember if I’ve seen any others.

The drawback to that system is that it’s a lot of parts, and the ones I saw suffered from the same problem as GBC: the system slowly wears down over time and becomes increasingly unreliable. The Kickstarter system looks much more robust. I have no way of knowing how well it will hold up though if it’s run continuously during public events over a period of years.

The material between the two magnets looks very thin, which is presumably by design because it’s necessary. It’s not clear if it would still work if a layer of tile is added to the top of the top plate. I like to build studless in almost all situations. They show their smooth magnet parts as sliding over the studs, but I found it visually unappealing if that part is visible, and it seems like it would be difficult to hide it and have the build still slide smoothly over studs.

A big problem with third-party Lego parts is color matching. Very few sellers convincingly replicate Lego’s bright and shiny look (although some have), and it’s hard to tell from the photos how well they’ve done here.

I’ve been told – I’m pretty sure by a reliable source – that the reason they don’t make M-Tron-style magnets anymore is because they’re considered a safety hazard if they can be swallowed. I don’t see anything to guard against that in this Kickstarter. The idea may be that they’re selling to adults for adult use, but I’m wondering if they’re setting themselves up for trouble if somebody backs the Kickstarter intending to purchase it for children to play with unsupervised. I didn’t read carefully enough to look for any disclaimers or terms of use, other than their claim that it’s 100% non-toxic material.

I don’t plan to back it. It’s crazy expensive. The effect is neat, and I remember the first time I saw it. It’s not immediately apparent how they’re doing it, so if you don’t know already, it looks like magic. So it is popular with the public. If you’re not into cars, it’s not that difficult to come up with something for almost any theme. But it doesn’t really fit with the builds I have planned, and so I can’t justify the cost.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Someone recently brought up the KickStarter about making more electric train track. Did that ever happen? Can they just spend your money and you get nothing?

Since the “magnetic track” has a predetermined path, why did they leave the studs on top of the baseplate? I don’t get it.

In a completely separate threadjack, why don’t Target or Walmart have any of the series 23 minifigs? Is the only way to get them by ordering the 6 packs online?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greenberg’s Train Show is next weekend!

https://www.trainshow.com/?fbclid=IwAR0eKATg6oPWKlEF0zkOHXDLAobIGVepd-4j_ARBf5fyLRMwvKeNNXlV5TA

Josh
    Keymaster

No way 2 places have the same (misspelled) names, right?

Maybe they’re having a rough go of it…that’s how I perceive that, anyway.

Attachments:
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

FX bricks is the one doing their own 9v track. Injection molded so it looks quite nice. I’m still scrounging up old 9v track as I find the occasional good deal online but if I had the dough, I’d give FX a try. Would make my Big Boy look less funny going down R80 curves. LOLOL

Josh
    Keymaster

Saw this at commonwealth press for all you lebonites

@pete

@whitesidewjw

@lwquestie

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Pittsburgh, this is why we can’t have nice things.

Attachments:
    Renée
    Participant

The two white minifig heads in the current VIP add on pack “Fun and Funky” are glow-in-the-dark.

Will McDine
    Participant

The two white minifig heads in the current VIP add on pack “Fun and Funky” are glow-in-the-dark

Interesting. I have atleast one of every of the VIP bags stored away. My plan is to wait until Lego stops doing them and then open them all at once to see what kind of cool parts they just gave out. Im most excited for all the Pigs, Teddy Bears, and Pumpkins. The Images I have seen of the pending winter one showed multiple huskies as well

Viewing 25 posts - 1,201 through 1,225 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar