Group Pirates game

Home Forums Off Topic Group Pirates game

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Tim had brought up the idea a while back, and I think we should do it.

Group sales of a box look to be about $35 a ticket. There are cheaper seats, but, in my opinion, the boxes are WELL worth their price in groups, because you can sit in the seats, sit in the room, or walk around the club level, and get great food and play pool too.

We could pick a saturday or sunday, preferably a kids zone day (which seem to be frequently on Sundays), where they run the bases afterward.

Here’s some dates:

April 9th – $25, free batting gloves
    May 7th – tickets for a box would be $25. Also free jump rope.
    May 21st – Also children’s festival
    June 18th – Father’s day
    July 16th

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ticketing/pricing.jsp?c_id=pit&layout=gameflow&view=group

If we can get ~12 or so people to commit, I’ll move forward with a date. No rule says we can’t do it more than once. I’ll start with Apr 9th. Anyone interested?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

So when you say “Group sales of a box”, it sounds like you mean a suite. But that’s not what you mean, is it?

Josh
    Keymaster

they call it a box. you may call it a suite.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m up for April 9. I got to see a game from a box reserved by CMU several years ago, and it was awesome, I definitely like that idea also.

May 21 is a possibility also. For me, May 7 and and June 18 are both out (BFNE and BWC, respectively).

For the group, I would suggest that July 16 is out, unless it’s a night game. That’s the BrickFest Live weekend. If we have enough people to get a box for the game then we have enough people to do a big display at BFL, and I would think that it would be a no-brainer that that would take priority.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

they call it a box. you may call it a suite.

Wait, what?

Is it a small room with approximately a dozen seats in two rows at the front? If so, it’s a suite. If not, I don’t know what it is…

Josh
    Keymaster

This is why I shouldn’t be in charge of things. My intention was a suite, and when I went with bynmellon many times years ago, I only paid $20, and sometimes it was just me and whoever went with me. It was great. Maybe suites are separate…but maybe still doable if we get enough people?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I had always thought that ‘box’ and ‘suite’ were interchangeable, certainly on espn.com the terms ‘luxury box’ and ‘luxury suite’ have been synonymous over the years in discussions of different stadiums in different sports. But looking at the Pirates’ webpage, it appears that in this case, as best as I can tell, that Matt is correct (sorry Josh). Luxury suite is when you get your own room with all-you-can-eat food and access to a couple rows of seats that are just for your own room. As I mentioned in an earlier post, they’re awesome.

They’re also expensive. I was surprised when I read Josh’s initial post suggesting that the group could afford a suite like that. And upon further investigation, it looks like we can’t. There’s no official price listing for suites, you have to call them and negotiate a price, presumably like you would for a car (plus they’re all different), but it says they’re generally between $3000 and $5000. It also says you can get them on plans for 10, 20, or 40 games, but there was nothing to indicate that you can get one for a single game. So I’m not sure of the details on how you got into one for $20, but my guess would be that bynmellon had a package plan and was picking up most of the cost for you. When we used the CMU suite several years ago I don’t remember paying anything cause CMU had it covered (although we may have paid a small fee like you did, I can’t remember for sure).

The Pirates’ webpage is using ‘box’ – in a way that I would consider to be questionable at best and misleading at worst – to refer to what is basically a section of a section, or some cases simply the whole section. So simply put, they’re the seats in the stands.

If there’s something I’m missing here, let me know. I’m finding the Pirates’ webpage to be a lot less user-friendly than I’d expected, and I can’t actually find useful information on what group rates we’d get in the stands without submitting a lot of information. I’m still interested in our group going to a game, but I’m not the one to sort out the details, my patience with the Pirates’ webpage is already running out. It is starting to remind me of the Verizon webpage, which I’m convinced is deliberately designed to be terrible so you’ll have to call them and then they can try n sell you more stuff.

Josh
    Keymaster

ha! thank you for at least validating my own sentiments towards the page and the process!!

In the past, I’ve also just called a guy at the pirates office to make all the arrangements for a few other games. I think that might be the way to go here, once we know we have a sizable “group” to commit.

Pete
    Participant

Why not the 21st or 23rd of April.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Why not the 21st or 23rd of April.

Because PBF, Pete.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>>>> Why not the 21st or 23rd of April.
    >
    >> Because PBF, Pete.

More importantly, nobody wants to see the stupid-ass Yankees, even though it might be fun to watch them lose.

Will McDine
    Participant

For me it all depends on the Day of the week and time. Saturday any time I am out due to work. But a Sunday afternoon game I would do.

David Bacon
    Participant

Sundays are always kids days.

Box seats are just meant to designate seats along the front of the field and on the first level. As Ben mentioned, suites are where you get the luxury experience and are negotiated for a price. Usually big companies, like the Trib, or AGH get them reserved ahead of time.

I have a 20 game season package that includes all Sunday games, so I will already be there but in the grandstands. Keep me posted on which game you all attend and I might be able to catch up with you. If you need me as the final two tickets to get the 12 people minimum I could go in and then try to sell the tickets I already have. But if not, I’d rather keep it simple and keep the tickets I already have.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

At the ballpark, you mean… or for the Bacon family? Just clarifying. 😉

David Bacon
    Participant

At the ballpark, you mean… or for the Bacon family? Just clarifying. ?

At PNC Park, yes Sundays are always kids days.

David Bacon
    Participant

At the ballpark, you mean… or for the Bacon family? Just clarifying. ?

At PNC Park, yes Sundays are always kids days.

AAAAAAND Once again, GIANT EMOJI.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by David Bacon.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by David Bacon.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

AAAAAAND Once again, GIANT EMOJI.

Giant emoji are the best emoji.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I just noticed that April 9 is already coming up but I can’t tell if anything has actually been decided on this or if enough people are interested.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I just noticed that April 9 is already coming up but I can’t tell if anything has actually been decided on this or if enough people are interested.

All dates are approaching, Ben. Time gets us all.

But seriously, I don’t think I’d be in for this Sunday, but in theory I’m in for any other game we’d select, unless I can’t.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Why not the 21st or 23rd of April.

The Pirates went 2-1 against the Yankees this weekend, although they lost to them 11-5 yesterday. So which game did you go to Pete?

It’s a good thing the Pens are still good though, cause any lingering optimism I had for the Bucs’ season this year disappeared with Marte’s suspension.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar