L-gauge standard

Home Forums All Things LEGO! L-gauge standard

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

@emperorofthenorthpole just published an article that we should be aware of. Join the Facebook group, download the standard, and let’s back this standard and use our lug resources to champion the standard!

Introducing the L-Gauge Modular Standard

Glenn Holland
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this Josh! We’re really excited to bring forward a new modular standard, and hoping it will become THE standard!

Will McDine
    Participant

I am glad someone else posted this, If not I was going to do the same. I agree this should become our standard in all aspects. The only problem is that this standard uses Non Lego Track produced by https://www.bricktracks.com/products . While this is not an immediate problem, it will require us to modify the standard to our liking and shell out some extra money to get the appropriate track

Phil Breneman
    Participant

I am glad someone else posted this, If not I was going to do the same. I agree this should become our standard in all aspects. The only problem is that this standard uses Non Lego Track produced by https://www.bricktracks.com/products . While this is not an immediate problem, it will require us to modify the standard to our liking and shell out some extra money to get the appropriate track

If you are referring to the R104 turns, they are done all with straight track. They space the outer tie by 1/2 stud per piece of straight track and it makes a long gentle curve. You can see pictures of it at pennlug.com/.

Will McDine
    Participant

If you are referring to the R104 turns, they are done all with straight track. They space the outer tie by 1/2 stud per piece of straight track and it makes a long gentle curve.

Did not notice that, but that still creates a problem with the amount of money needed to buy that much straight track. Unless we buy them through Lego (using the LUGbulk like program for Big LUG projects, Sorry I honestly cant remember the name) it honestly might be cheaper to just buy the 3rd party track as opposed to brick linking all that straight track.

For what its worth, I am absolutely for this. I think we have gone too long without a LUG standard and it is about time we get one that will work for us and we stick to it. I just want to make everyone aware of what goes into it. for those wondering about MILS and ballasting parts for this standard, reference this: http://l-gauge.org/wiki/index.php/Reference_Instructions . Regardless, I think this should be brought up at the q2 meeting, and we should draft some examples of this for q3 that way we can get the ball rolling on parts ordering and what not.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Will McDine.
    Glenn Holland
    Participant

If you are referring to the R104 turns, they are done all with straight track. They space the outer tie by 1/2 stud per piece of straight track and it makes a long gentle curve.

Did not notice that, but that still creates a problem with the amount of money needed to buy that much straight track. Unless we buy them through Lego (using the LUGbulk like program for Big LUG projects, Sorry I honestly cant remember the name) it honestly might be cheaper to just buy the 3rd party track as opposed to brick linking all that straight track.

For what its worth, I am absolutely for this. I think we have gone too long without a LUG standard and it is about time we get one that will work for us and we stick to it. I just want to make everyone aware of what goes into it. for those wondering about MILS and ballasting parts for this standard, reference this: http://l-gauge.org/wiki/index.php/Reference_Instructions . Regardless, I think this should be brought up at the q2 meeting, and we should draft some examples of this for q3 that way we can get the ball rolling on parts ordering and what not.

Actuaally Bricktracks is R104 and R120. The method using curves to make straights is somewhere in the neighborhood of R256.

I’d love to see this adopted as the LUG standard for train layouts. PennLUG will be rebuilding its layout and we’ll be taking a very similar approach. It’s not intended to replace LUG layouts, but provide a separate platform for collaborations.

If anyone has questions, let me know. I’m on the “rules committee” and we’re still pretty open to suggestions right now while we get a first layout together at Brickworld Chicago this year.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

@emperorofthenorthpole

Glenn, are you at BrickWorld this weekend? Did you guys make a display for the event using the standard? I read the article and the standard info with great interest (although it was a couple months ago and I have not gotten around to rereading them), and so I have been looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Glenn Holland
    Participant

I wasn’t able to make it this year due to prior obligations.

They did put a layout together and it’s very likely that somethings will change, the first of which may be the height of the rail.

I’ll be sure to post the revisions once they are finalized.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar