Motion Notions

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Motion Notions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Movement/motion is almost always the greatest attention draw. Anything and everything that can be done to add motion to a display will almost without fail attract the most attention. Both the GBC building and the present warehouse were huge hits with the public.

I’m detecting that I’m not the only one burned out by the Greenbergs Train Show, but perhaps it would be good to brainstorm future layout projects that would be interesting to the public. I propose creating a mini Hogwarts Express, like this one:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=40028-1

and make it move around a model of Hogwarts that is on scale appropriate for the train: bigger than microscale and smaller than minifig scale. Then we could have minifigs standing around a fence watching the train move.

What could we have moving within the Hogwarts model? … tiny flying quidditch players?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=85863pb038

Dan Efran
    Participant

Personally I have zero interest in Harry Potter stuff, so I’ll leave that scene for others to plan.

But my son just mentioned an interesting idea that I feel is worth considering. Have you seen the chocolate factory ride at Hersheypark? You ride a little car past various chocolate-making machines: giant mixers, conveyor belts, labeling machines, right through a drying oven…it’s really cool. (Goofy in places, with singing cows and such, but still cool.) Something like that could make a pretty neat modular display. (The ride itself is modular, divided into rooms.)

If you haven’t seen the ride, here’s a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUEptVYHN4
    It’s not a very good video. You might want to just turn off the sound and watch from 5:45 to 7:30 for a taste (har har) of the experience.

Dan Efran
    Participant

Also, I’m planning to definitely build a magnetic ice-skating pond. But I don’t know when I’ll finish it, since I don’t even have any magnets yet.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

You ride a little car past various chocolate-making machines

How would the ride move?

Also, I’m planning to definitely build a magnetic ice-skating pond.

Deborah Higdon-Leblond is one person who did this. From what I remember there is very small tolerance between the upper and lower magnets, you have to balance friction with the attractive strength determined by the distance between the two magnets. From what I’ve seen, the hidden magnet rides on a chain underneath the surface.

It would be nice if the magnet attached to the minifig did not encounter “seems” of adjoining tiles. Perhaps an inverted 16 x 16 clear baseplate would be a got surface for the skater to slide on. However, if you want to use tiles on top, the LEGO store PaB’s currently have lots and lots of 1×2 trans light blue tiles.

Dan Efran
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Efran wrote:</div>
    You ride a little car past various chocolate-making machines

How would the ride move?

I haven’t figured that out yet…monorail track might be the most authentic. Or maybe just a factory without the ride part? It’s a pretty sketchy idea at this stage.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Efran wrote:</div>
    Also, I’m planning to definitely build a magnetic ice-skating pond.

Deborah Higdon-Leblond is one person who did this. From what I remember there is very small tolerance between the upper and lower magnets, you have to balance friction with the attractive strength determined by the distance between the two magnets. From what I’ve seen, the hidden magnet rides on a chain underneath the surface.

It would be nice if the magnet attached to the minifig did not encounter “seems” of adjoining tiles. Perhaps an inverted 16 x 16 clear baseplate would be a got surface for the skater to slide on. However, if you want to use tiles on top, the LEGO store PaB’s currently have lots and lots of 1×2 trans light blue tiles.

Yeah, the inverted 16×16 clear baseplate was my first thought too. I’ve got one, so I’ll probably try it. My second thought was a few of the new huge tiles, 8×16 I think they are? We’ll see.

I saw that chain mechanism, but I’ll probably try a windmill-style mechanism instead. Simpler. My biggest concern is magnet strength…I have no experience with LEGO magnets yet. I know there are the train coupler ones, and I just realized there are fridge magnet bricks, that might be worth a try. I’m not sure what other magnetic parts there might be, or how strong they are. But I’m sure I can get it working one way or another. Eventually.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I haven’t figured that out yet…monorail track might be the most authentic.

Monorail would be perfect. I saw one train LUG (probably Southern Cal) mounted a video camera on the front of a train and you could see what the train saw as it was rolling around the track.

Yeah, the inverted 16×16 clear baseplate was my first thought too. I’ve got one, so I’ll probably try it. My second thought was a few of the new huge tiles, 8×16 I think they are? We’ll see.

I would think you would need to keep the bottom magnet from sticking against the bottom creating more friction. Since you are using a windmill, wheels might provide the perfect clearance. Of course then you would need to cover the underside with tiles so the wheels could roll.

I’m not sure what other magnetic parts there might be, or how strong they are.

The round train coupler magnets are probably the best for this application. I think they came with a lot of other sets too.

I tried to get the magnets out of the pseudo 2×4 fridge brick once because a strong magnet that fits inside a stud would be so cool to use. I bought a Torx just to get the specialized hex head screw out. The brick was glued together tightly anyway. The only thing I could use to get the magnets out was a sledge hammer. It smashed the brick and shattered the little magnets too. 🙁

But I have read about people using a certain solvent and temperature to get glued minifigs off their magnet bases. That trick might be what you’d need to get the fridge magnet apart successfully.

Keep those good ideas flowing and let me know what progress you make. In case you hadn’t guessed, I also wanted to move the little Hogwart’s train using a magnet. Maybe using a hidden 9V train motor underneath. 🙂

Dan Efran
    Participant

I would think you would need to keep the bottom magnet from sticking against the bottom creating more friction. Since you are using a windmill, wheels might provide the perfect clearance. Of course then you would need to cover the underside with tiles so the wheels could roll.

Yeah, I figured I’d put tiles underneath – I don’t want the ice totally transparent (showing the mechanism) but if it’s got a layered white-under-clear look, that’d be cool.

I hadn’t thought of using wheels to maintain the spacing underneath, but it makes good sense. Thanks for the idea!

I tried to get the magnets out of the pseudo 2×4 fridge brick once because a strong magnet that fits inside a stud would be so cool to use. I bought a Torx just to get the specialized hex head screw out. The brick was glued together tightly anyway. The only thing I could use to get the magnets out was a sledge hammer. It smashed the brick and shattered the little magnets too. :(

Actually, I was thinking of using the fridge brick intact, as a brick with a magnet in it. But you say “pseudo” – does that mean it’s really a non-System object that won’t connect to anything? I’ve never looked at one closely.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by Dan Efran.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Actually, I was thinking of using the fridge brick intact, as a brick with a magnet in it. But you say “pseudo” – does that mean it’s really a non-System object that won’t connect to anything? I’ve never looked at one closely.

Not too long ago LEGO made real 2×4 bricks with magnets inside the three tubes for about $1 each. The more recent fridge magnets, that were made to be minifig stands, do not have tubes underneath its a flat bottom with screws in it so you cannot use any convention LEGO connection on the underside.

Dan Efran
    Participant

Interesting. Minifig stands…so they have proper studs on top? And a flat, magnetic bottom…that sounds pretty good for this mechanism, used upside-down beneath the “ice”. I guess I’ll order a few and try it.

Dan
    Participant

Look into 8×16 tile. I’m not sure what colors are available, but they’re awesome pieces!

Also, I have tons of the old round magnets. Remind me to bring a few when we meet up next.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Look into 8×16 tile

Good point. Anyone who is serious about doing a skating rink, should consider the 8×16 piece made in WHITE, which never appeared in a set, yet somehow someone has a bunch of them:

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?sID=98960&itemID=49455590

This is one instance in which having pieces already scratched might be good … until you get a Zamboni. 🙂 It seems that Deborah used these also.

IMGP4083

I vaguely recall reading elaborate details about her efforts to build the skating rink on LUGNET many years ago.

IMGP4108

IMGP4099

• This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Dan Efran
    Participant

Very interesting! I wonder where the white ones came from, then? They seem affordable, I guess I should probably get a few.

Dan Efran
    Participant

Aha, scratched white ones might be cleaned-off white-but-printed ones from a hockey-foosball (foos-hockey?) set:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=3578-1

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I see. In that case, you could get them cheaper with preprinted hockey rink markings.

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?sID=12589&itemID=29158696

Dan Efran
    Participant

Yep, and then clean off the printing. I think that’s what I’ll do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar