Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 1,448 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Do you know of any LEGO-wide standards for minifig scale?

Here you go: http://www.suave.net/~dave/cgi/scale.cgi

Right, if a minifig represents a 6 foot tall person, then each brick represents a height of 1.5 feet. I’m just wondering what I should use as a standard floor to ceiling height, like Tim’s 5 bricks per floor guideline. I have not had a consistent building scale and I want to be consistent moving forward, to avoid problems like having a farmhouse that is bigger than the church.

Anyway, since this is threadjacking, has anyone ever heard of https://bricksandminifigs.com/ Apparently they have several brick and mortar franchise stores but the closest ones to us are in MI, KY and CT.

https://bricksandminifigs.com/our-stores/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Anyway, since this is threadjacking, has anyone ever heard of https://bricksandminifigs.com/ Apparently they have several brick and mortar franchise stores but the closest ones to us are in MI, KY and CT.

I could swear this was the name of the place I visited a couple years ago, and I could swear it was one of the ones near Portland, OR… but I just Googled the addresses and none of them look right, so unless they moved one of the stores, it must’ve been someone else running a brick and mortar store with a Market Street and a few other (already built) rare big sets, and a bunch of random stuff I wasn’t much interested in…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Right, if a minifig represents a 6 foot tall person, then each brick represents a height of 1.5 feet. I’m just wondering what I should use as a standard floor to ceiling height, like Tim’s 5 bricks per floor guideline. I have not had a consistent building scale and I want to be consistent moving forward, to avoid problems like having a farmhouse that is bigger than the church.

Well the problem there is that there’s no real standard in real life either, it’s what the architect decides. Floor to ceiling can range anything from 7’6″ (my house) to 12′ or more. When I took architectural drafting classes we usually used 10′ as the standard when drawing elevation views, in a skyscraper it’s likely to be more though. With Legos there, there’s all kinds of real-life practical considerations that can be ignored, and you can just build based on how you want it to look. I tend to build my ceilings high cause I like high ceilings in real life.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Well the problem there is that there’s no real standard in real life either, it’s what the architect decides.

Clearly not a Steelers / Mike Tomlin fan…

“The standard is the standard.”

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@tfdesigns, although it would have to fit the FRIENDS theme, Jonah could try this competition:

https://apps.facebook.com/legofriendsdesigner/

There are two months to submit an entry. The judging criteria are:

Appeal and Relevance – 40%
    How relevant is the model for girls 6-10 years old?
    How relevant is the model for the LEGO Friends theme?
    Will the model deliver on the targeted audience’s play expectations?
    Originality and Innovation – 20%
    How much newness does the model bring to LEGO Friends?
    Aesthetically pleasing design – 20%
    How aesthetically pleasing is the design in terms of Visual Impact and Color Scheme?
    Design details – 20%
    The little things are important too.

Pete
    Participant

How come in the resources section of our website, there is no links to our Flckr page or our facebook page?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> How come in the resources section of our website, there is no links to our Flckr page or our facebook page?

I think maybe the idea of those websites is to get them to this one, rather than vice-versa, but I’d say you’re right, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to put them over there. Unfortunately I don’t know how to do it, and I’m not sure I have access anyway. You can at least link to the Flickr group from the photostream at the bottom of the homepage. I don’t use Facebook though, so I don’t even know what’s on our FB page.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

This pumpkin was made by professionals at a company … I think they are based in England. When I saw it, I thought “that’s something that @tfdesigns would make, only he would find a way to make it cooler … like having some spinning light thing inside.”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

How come in the resources section of our website, there is no links to our Flckr page or our facebook page?

Because you haven’t learned html and put in the links, @pete

Josh
    Keymaster

it’s under the group links section.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Jonah could try this competition:

Thanks, Greg. Amy had also seen this. I wonder if I can motivate him to enter

like having some spinning light thing inside.

Ha, yep.

David Bacon
    Participant

I could swear this was the name of the place I visited a couple years ago, and I could swear it was one of the ones near Portland, OR… but I just Googled the addresses and none of them look right, so unless they moved one of the stores, it must’ve been someone else running a brick and mortar store with a Market Street and a few other (already built) rare big sets, and a bunch of random stuff I wasn’t much interested in…

If I had good business acumen and money, I would totally apply for a franchise for one of these.

Josh
    Keymaster

guess he got tired of everyone making fun of him for his breathing.

The dark side of exercise [Video]

Tom Frost
    Participant

Poltergeist or 2-year-old?

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

hey teachers, @greg @tfdesigns

University of cambridge is hiring.

http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/12374/

Greg Schubert
    Participant

hey teachers, @greg @tfdesigns

University of cambridge is hiring.

http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/12374/

Unfortunately, job description refers to designing and conducting psychological research, not teaching per se.

Pete
    Participant

Didnt Peter Venkman do psychological research.

Tim

I thought it was “paranormal psychology” but it’s been awhile since I saw the whole movie. He gives his academic credentials near the beginning as I remember. One of the best yet understated scenes in the entire movie is the scene where he is “testing” the students on their ability to guess the cards and keeps shocking the guy, even when he guesses correctly, but the pretty girl never gets shocked and never gets one guess right. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Tim.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Today we were in Bakery Square, former site of the NABISCO factory, now housing Google offices. In addition to slightly out of date, slightly higher priced sets, a toy store in the shadow of the Google building featured the items in this photo: a Mr. Gold mosaic and a date to swap minifigs at the store.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Wait there’s a toy store over there…?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Wait there’s a toy store over there…?

The store is a Learning Express and apparently they are a gold-level LEGO store or something, which is indicated by their Mr. Gold mosaic. They also have some displays for sale: a Nexo Knights and I think the other one is STAR WARS.

Google must be keeping this toy store, like every other store in the area, in business. Do you suppose we could recruit some Google geniuses for our LUG?

Also if you zoom in on the Google building using Google maps, you see that throughout their building there are names of Pittsburgh landmarks, some of which no longer exist. Do you suppose they want you to find the Google building if you are looking for Glenshaw Glass or Three Rivers Stadium?

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

… and while we are on the topic of East Liberty, Pittsburgh is only one of 6 cities that have a school named after Obama. Another one is COMPTON! Who knew, right?

Attachments:
    Tom Frost
    Participant

some displays for sale: a Nexo Knights

was this one of those sets under plexiglass displays or cutouts of the characters or something?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

displays for sale: a Nexo Knights

It was under plexiglass, probably models that were glued together in the display. I remember the Beast Master’s Chaos Chariot in it. I think he wanted $115 for it.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 1,448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar